Does wind affect freeview reception?

BinCatBinCat Posts: 2,125
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I live on the East Yorkshire coast and it's really windy today.This morning all the channels on my telly are playing up, stop/starting, pixelating and generally crap.

The aerial looks to be in place OK, so is it just the wind. Does weather affect reception?

Comments

• albertdalbertd Posts: 14,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have never heard of wind having any effect on reception, beyond the physical effects it can have on the structure of an aerial.

Even though the aerial "looks" OK, it doesn't mean that it is OK. For example, it would only need the slightest looseness in one of the connections inside the connection box on the aerial boom (something which you could not possibly see) for the signal to be disrupted by the aerial moving about in the gusts.
  • giannigianni Posts: 1,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My reception from Crystal Palace is very poor today.

My Pioneer TV is showing SQ in the 40-60 range for channels 22, 23 ,25 , 26 and 28 but is not pixelating yet. The bedroom Samsung TV is very poor however. Been like this for two/three weeks now; during the summer everything was fine. I seem to remember that signal quality is affected by atmospheric conditions (but not wind), especially at this time of year.

Presumably the relative performance of the televisions is down to the relative quality of their tuners, assuming that the aerial leads are both properly installed - which they are.
  • N.DeanN.Dean Posts: 1,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps the problems are being caused by high atmospheric pressure.
  • jj20xjj20x Posts: 2,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any rain or moisture damage to the cable will cause a bad connection which will be more obvious in windy conditions.
  • Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could be a bad cable joint moving in the wind.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Upstairs I watch Freeview through an indoor aerial and wind and humidity affect the signal. More so the HD ones.
    Then again if I use the internet it does as well.
  • N.DeanN.Dean Posts: 1,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With an indoor aerial, the problem cannot be caused by water in the cable. It could, though, be caused by rain on the outisde of the building or by the movement of trees in the wind.

I don't understand how the weather at your locaiton can affect singals through your phone line ( internet ). Or is your internet connection made via radio somehow?
  • technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    N.Dean wrote: »
    I don't understand how the weather at your locaiton can affect singals through your phone line ( internet ).

Water in the cable perhaps
  • lbearlbear Posts: 1,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you are literally ON the coast, the sea conditions like state of the tide can affect reception. I am in a peculiar situation where I am about 5 miles from Crystal Palace but face away from it. The construction of the flats mean direct reception is impossible but I can get reflections from Canary Wharf if using an indoor aerial. Those can vary according to the tide level on the Thames as I live on the riverside (thankfully we now have a proper aerial system)
  • Dr.OliverTwichDr.OliverTwich Posts: 1,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trees moving in the wind between the transmit and receive antennas is one of the most common cause of the symptoms described. Especially when the foliage is wet.
  • Hybrid telliesHybrid tellies Posts: 1,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UHF TV signals, analogue and digital are effected by trees and bushes especially in windy weather and even more so when they are still in full foliage.
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going to be really windy Sunday and Monday hope no one looses there aerials.
    Mine indoors so should be Ok here. :D
  • BrightonelectriBrightonelectri Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    Going to be really windy Sunday and Monday hope no one looses there aerials.
    Mine indoors so should be Ok here. :D

During yesterday's storm Freeview from Whitehawk (Brighton) went blank for some time but the Rowridge signal was OK.
    All back to normal today. In Brighton there are a few
    Band I old TV antennas which have withstood several great storms since their installation in the 60s or 70s! The owners have not bothered to remove them!
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sudbury channel 41 been not great today but London freeview is fine and was going in the really bad wind and sky was braking up.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    Well your answer is to use an outdoor aerial as the broadcasters intend.

True, but if I can be bothered for upstairs I would have a Freesat dish put up. Lazyness on my part.
  • Default_UserDefault_User Posts: 4,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The signal for ITV is shocking at the moment in northern ireland. The other channels are fine,though. Good thing it's only the x-factor on.
  • MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    really bad wind and sky was braking up.

Braking up or breaking down? ;)