British Film Institute Screenings

CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,588
Forum Member
✭✭
As mentioned in other threads the BFI is screening a story from each Doctor over the next 11 months.

There is also a Panel held at each event with Cast and Crew from the show.

An Unearhly Child was the Hartnell story shown earlier in the month and the Panel featuring William Russell and Carole Ann Ford amongst others is now on the BFI Website and on Youtube.

Part 1

Part 2

Comments

• CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Tomb of the Cyberman (9th Feb) and The Mind of Evil (10th Mar) are the screenings for Docs 2 and 3.

Plus they seem to be doing one of the Cushing films as well.
    We’ll be saluting a different Doctor each month from now till the end of the year. With 11 television incarnations and one on film, it makes a full 12-month cycle.
  • Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where is this and how do you get to go? :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where is this and how do you get to go? :)

British Film Institute at the South Bank, London.

You can buy tickets through their website - BFI.org.uk - however, they offer these to members first and the Doctor Whe events tend to sell-out before the remaining public tickets are released.
  • Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    British Film Institute at the South Bank, London.

You can buy tickets through their website - BFI.org.uk - however, they offer these to members first and the Doctor Whe events tend to sell-out before the remaining public tickets are released.
    How do you become a member? Some of their other things look interesting as well. Oh and how much does it cost? :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do you become a member? Some of their other things look interesting as well. Oh and how much does it cost? :)

I'm not sure how you join or how much it is. Might be some info on their site?
  • nyingynyingy Posts: 1,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure how you join or how much it is. Might be some info on their site?

https://whatson.bfi.org.uk/Online/membership

I note that the annual membership is reduced to £30 at present...

I've been a member at the BFI for five years: I have seen so many interesting things through it!

This includes a couple of Doctor Who related events (e.g. the pre broadcast showing of 'A Christmas Carol', followed by the Q&A with Matt Smith, Steven Moffat, Karen Gillan, etc).

For me, though, perhaps even more exciting has been the access I've gained to the sheer breadth of possibilities in London cinema, through the various London film festivals, and lots of free events. I wholeheartedly recommend it!
  • delroy14delroy14 Posts: 222
    Forum Member
    whats the point of becoming a member if you dont live in or near london. none thats the point its not a britsh film institute its london, london, London
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    delroy14 wrote: »
    whats the point of becoming a member if you dont live in or near london. none thats the point its not a britsh film institute its london, london, London

You shouldn't rest until either the BFI building is so large that it covers every single centimetre of the British Isles or is moved to one of those British cities that is larger and better connected than London.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    The Tomb of the Cyberman (9th Feb) and The Mind of Evil (10th Mar) are the screenings for Docs 2 and 3.

Plus they seem to be doing one of the Cushing films as well.

The blu-ray restorations of the 60's Daleks films are being shown at the Glasgow Film Festival next month.
  • delroy14delroy14 Posts: 222
    Forum Member
    TEDR wrote: »
    You shouldn't rest until either the BFI building is so large that it covers every single centimetre of the British Isles or is moved to one of those British cities that is larger and better connected than London.

No I'm not being unreasonable but if the would just hold some events in regional city's it would be a start they could sell out a premier Dr who event in every major city in the country if they wanted it would work not saying they should but they could
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    delroy14 wrote: »
    No I'm not being unreasonable but if the would just hold some events in regional city's it would be a start they could sell out a premier Dr who event in every major city in the country if they wanted it would work not saying they should but they could

I think I'm right to say, in broad terms, the BFI was the thing with a royal charter otherwise left to fend for itself and the UK Film Council was the thing with government funding and therefore the body that spent money on things like the Edinburgh Film Festival, the Cambridge Film Festival, etc — though I think the BFI, which houses national archives, would usually contribute in other ways.

Now that the UK Film Council has been abolished the BFI is assuming some of the funding role, see e.g. this announcement from yesterday (which you couldn't possibly have known about when you first posted).
  • Lady of TrakenLady of Traken Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello

Does anyone know when booking becomes available for the next Doctor 50 event at BFI Southbank?

I missed booking for the Robot of Death event day as my internet at home was down for two weeks!

Or is it just a case of checking the website every day ?Any info gratefully received as I love the 5th Doctor and badly want to go :)
    Thanks
  • rioniarionia Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello

Does anyone know when booking becomes available for the next Doctor 50 event at BFI Southbank?

I missed booking for the Robot of Death event day as my internet at home was down for two weeks!

Or is it just a case of checking the website every day ?Any info gratefully received as I love the 5th Doctor and badly want to go :)
    Thanks

I've been told there will probably be a ballot for tickets for future DW50 screenings.

Presumably BFI members will find out if that will be the case when they get the May's BFI Guide.
  • Lady of TrakenLady of Traken Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rionia wrote: »
    I've been told there will probably be a ballot for tickets for future DW50 screenings.

Presumably BFI members will find out if that will be the case when they get the May's BFI Guide.

Thanks rionia. :)