Options

Splinter Cell... After "Chaos Theory"

Hugh LetdownHugh Letdown Posts: 536
Forum Member
✭✭
I just finished playing "Chaos Theory" (didn't actually finish the game because I f'd it up by messing around with saves; but that's another story; and also but I'm satisfied that I played it all/enough {don't ask}).

I really enjoyed it, enough to put it on the second tier of my favorite games of all-tye-emm. "Thief" will and must always remain atop alone.

Aaaaaanyway... so I go looking at "Double Agent" and "Conviction". Hoping for mo'betta. More of the same game-play-wise, only maybe even improved? More depth and story perhaps? Moreness to the gadgetry, graphics, guile?

And I see... ugly reports of bugs and bad ports and betrayal! So say the fans.

So, I ask you: is it so? Are they still a mess not worth messing with?

Comments

• Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Erm, kind of a tough one to answer.
    CT was the last game where Sam was actually working, properly, for the NSA so it was the last game with that specific style.

Personally, I didn't like Double Agent very much at all.
    I didn't like the pokey mini-games that you had to complete between missions and the re-use of maps.
    I keep meaning to give it another go and I have, literally, got it sat on my desk here, ready to install. Alas, it's been sat here for about 6 months and I've yet to build up the required enthusiasm.

Conviction is a pretty nice game IMO. It's very well done and allows for a very "fluid" sytle of gameplay but it's not much like Chaos Theory because the whole point was to put Sam in a different situation.

If you are a Splinter Cell fan you'll probably end up enjoying Conviction although you might be a bit uncomfortable with it at first, because it's so different.
  • Options
    HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The last generation version (Xbox) of Double Agent is a lot better than the next generation version (360, PC). Its still a proper traditional Splinter Cell game of hiding in the shadows.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks to both of you! I did forget to mention I'm PC-exclusive. So the bugs are generally either worked out enough to make them quite playable it seems.

Si_Crewe, the truth is I like the idea of not working for the NSA. That -- if the most important element, the gameplay, is enough to keep me going -- is usually my biggest gripe when playing a lot of these modern-to-recent scenario games... being on the side of the filthiest faction of all.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe, the truth is I like the idea of not working for the NSA. That -- if the most important element, the gameplay, is enough to keep me going -- is usually my biggest gripe when playing a lot of these modern-to-recent scenario games... being on the side of the filthiest faction of all.

Conviction is still about sneaking around in the shadows and trying to do things quietly.
    It's just that there aren't as many whizzy gadgets, sticky cameras, non-lethal rounds, laser mic's and all that malarkey.
    It's just you, your trusty man-bag and a variety of guns.

I suppose the same could be said for Double Agent but, I dunno.
    I just didn't find DA particularly compelling whereas Conviction somehow feels like a "proper" SC game.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think I'm going to go with "Conviction" then. Just from what's been said here and the pretty strong vibe I've gotten that elsewhere "Double agent" is possibly a buggy headache... a game is only a game and it's not something I want to turn into a frustrating experience. With "Conviction" I've got more conviction that things are going to be less of a mess.

I never played the first two games. I just jumped right to "Chaos Theory" because it was so lauded and just this side of not-too-old (which is subjective and supple).

I'll think with "Conviction" I can have a good time and take my time as well. Then maybe the new game, "Blacklist", will come soon enough thereafter. I won't be burnt-out; I'll have some grip on the narrative.

And... "Blacklist" will be an unquestionably excellent game!??

?
  • Options
    2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    I thought Splinter Cell Conviction was a really good game once you got into it. The only problem being it's not really like the old Splinter Cell games, though stealth still plays a big role obviously, the controls and game mechanics have been completely revised. It also has some really great co-op missions.

The closest thing I could compare it to is a more strategic and stealth driven version of 007 Bloodstone, at least they feel a bit similar.