The Mary Berry Story

Comments

• chloebchloeb Posts: 6,501
    Forum Member
    Boring woman boring show jiust one big borefest.....does not warrant 5mins let alone 2 eps!!

Ouch...meanie

I enjoyed it
  • smudesmude Posts: 17,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boring woman boring show jiust one big borefest.....does not warrant 5mins let alone 2 eps!!

Take it you didn't like it. :D
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Did someone force you to watch it? No, I thought not

Honestly, some people just love to moan for the sake of moaning
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    We're British. The two best things we're good at is moaning and queuing.

And we only like queuing so we can have a bloody good moan about it!
  • BorefestBorefest Posts: 9,557
    Forum Member

Hey I am Borefest and thought it was great. I think Marry Berry is a lovely interesting talented person :D:D:cool:
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was a great programme and she came over as very engaging, but she must have had some amount of determination to get on as well as she did, in the times that she did.
    Good for you, Mary.
  • kochspostulateskochspostulates Posts: 3,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great programme I love Mary and she seems such a lovely lady . I always presumed Mary had arthrites in her hand and was very interested in the polio connection ,

I always thought that she was weak because she was old
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really must get round to making one of her Victoria sponges, it looked bloody yummy!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Borefest wrote: »
    Hey I am Borefest and thought it was great. I think Marry Berry is a lovely interesting talented person :D:D:cool:

:D:D:D
  • VientreVientre Posts: 1,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enjoyed the programme, she certainly knew where she wanted to go and went out and achieved it. Shes a lovely lady and her baking bible is a great book full of great recipes that work really well, looking forward to the second part.
  • SolarSailSolarSail Posts: 7,676
    Forum Member
    Espresso wrote: »
    I thought it was a great programme and she came over as very engaging, but she must have had some amount of determination to get on as well as she did, in the times that she did.
    Good for you, Mary.

Agreed.

It was just wonderful.

She's a terrific woman, had a very interesting life, accomplished so much and is still stylish as well.
  • hooterhooter Posts: 30,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really must get round to making one of her Victoria sponges, it looked bloody yummy!

Didn`t they just...I was drooling.....*wonders whether there are enough eggs in the fridge to have a go at a Vixky sponge tomorrow*:confused::D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a wonderful lady. She should quit the bakery contests and present modern history. I hate British Bake Off but was hooked on her stories of the twentieth century. She was so engaging. Brilliant!
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,904
    Forum Member
    I watched this with my mum (who also contracted polio during the 1949 epidemic, although very young).

What I loved about this programme was how it showed Mary's drive and work-ethic; how she tried really hard at every job so that she could progress. There's a certain stoicism and no-nonsense about her generation, which I really admire.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ((HUG)) Mary seemd quite overcome at one or two moments too .

Be nice if the local newspaper could find a proper copy of the picture of her with father.
  • NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,118
    Forum Member
    googleking wrote: »
    She is a diamond :)

Although I'm a little disturbed at the thought of women in knitted bathing suits! One trend that doesn't need to come back.

hahaha you're so right.

I really enjoyed the show and to think I nearly didn't watch it!
    I had to make some fairy cakes after watching her make the Victoria Sponge - would've made one of those but I knew my daughter and family would prefer the fairy cakes.
  • QwertyGirl1771QwertyGirl1771 Posts: 4,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a wonderful, inspiring lady Mary is, so full of determination without the bitchiness. And a lovely mischeivious streak in her too.
  • slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member
    Great programme I love Mary and she seems such a lovely lady . I always presumed Mary had arthrites in her hand and was very interested in the polio connection ,
    I knew she had contracted polio when she was young after i heard her on
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/features/desert-island-discs/find-a-castaway

I watched her carefully after I listened to that and I did notice how she held utensils and how one side was weaker than the other

Although Polio is almost eradicated there is a kick in the teeth for a lot of polio victims which is Post Polio Syndrome
    after years of being as well as you can be you can lose all that was gained after the virus first hit

after getting out of calipers, iron lungs and walking frames and living a full life you can go back into splints and wheel chairs quicker than greased lightening
  • jerseyporterjerseyporter Posts: 2,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enjoying it so much that you prefer to not watch it and post on here ? :cool:
    Laptops are a great new invention and multi tasking is a skill . .;)

Exactly, PinkPetunia - it's a long time since typing/using a computer and watching TV have had to be mutually exclusive activities!
    mary was so very lucky that she wasnt affected more by her Polio

I had to stop watching because I broke down when I saw the little girl in the walker and the iron lung, it brought back far too many memories for me

hubby recorded it and said I should watch it a little at a time
    I knew she had contracted polio when she was young after i heard her on
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/features/desert-island-discs/find-a-castaway

I watched her carefully after I listened to that and I did notice how she held utensils and how one side was weaker than the other

Although Polio is almost eradicated there is a kick in the teeth for a lot of polio victims which is Post Polio Syndrome
    after years of being as well as you can be you can lose all that was gained after the virus first hit

after getting out of calipers, iron lungs and walking frames and living a full life you can go back into splints and wheel chairs quicker than greased lightening

I also thought it was arthritis before I googled her a few months ago to find out more. I'm aware this might sound a bit 'odd', but in some ways I'm pleased it isn't arthritis - my mother-in-law has arthritis in her hands and can't use either of them any more. I can't imagine what Mary would do if she couldn't cook any more as she clearly gets such pleasure out of it. So that's what I mean by 'pleased it's not arthritis.

I was also going to mention 'post-polio', but you did it far better than I could. Two friends (of Mary's age) both had polio when younger, and now it has returned to varying degrees in both, one more severe than the other (according to where the polio hit them originally). One of them is now sadly permanently in a wheelchair because of weakness in her legs which has returned to such a degree she can no longer walk; the other has to support his arm in a sling and can't lift anything because all the strength has gone in it (although he tries not to wear the sling all the time). I wonder if Mary is sometimes battling post-polio more than she cares to let on in public - I've read one interview with her recently in which she alludes to it if you read between the lines - but she clearly has no time for feeling sorry for herself and is just grateful and lucky to have had a happy and active life.

Well, you know what they say - only boring people get bored! (Or find things excessively boring!) So it might say more about you than it does about Mary and this programme! ;)

It was worth watching for the polio information (we forget what a scourge it was in our age of immunisation - my friends who had it say it was feared more than death in many ways by their generation) and also for an interesting social history lesson of what life was like for a family like Mary's at that time - girls had almost no hope of a career in anything other than 'girly'/domestic things! Whilst none of that information was new to most of us, I'm sure, it was still interesting to hear Mary's take on those things in her own words.

And I'd have LOVED Mary's job teaching people how to use the new-fangled electric ovens! I'm in heaven if I'm allowed to be 'domestic' (working as a teacher is a terrible inconvenience, lol!). My friends laugh at me for my chore charts and addiction to ironing - in fact, some of them hate ironing so much they pay me to do theirs! I was offered something similar to Mary's oven job two years ago - teaching adults how to shop, plan menus and cook for themselves with basic bedsit equipment (so a two-ring hob and microwave, but usually no oven) when usually they spent all their money on ready-meals. I'd have been in heaven with Mary's equivalent though - she even got a car!!

Can't wait for part 2!
  • Yorkie47Yorkie47 Posts: 1,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's anything but boring, her life is quite fascinating and watching her life through the war years was very interesting too.

She's a lovely lady and I'm looking forward to next week's episode.
  • jimbo1962jimbo1962 Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC really are trying to get the most out of the GBBO aren't they?

I'm not complaining as I love the show. I just wonder when we're going to have The Great British Bake Off Squirrel: My Story

so true, how many unimaginative spin offs can they get out of this.
  • stu0rtstu0rt Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't see it trailed anywhere before I saw it in the EPG last night. I'm glad I caught it; it was a delight of a programme and Mary is very likeable. As others have said, she'd be good at presenting other things, not just cookery.
  • 4smiffy4smiffy Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a great show this was. I tuned in, just to see what it would be like and I was captivated for the whole 60 minutes. She has a very engaging personality and is an absolute natural for TV. I thoroughly enjoyed it and can't wait for the next episode.
  • Caramel CrunchCaramel Crunch Posts: 4,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lovely day who has had a fascinating life.
    We loved it & we are looking forward to next week's programme.
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Lovely day who has had a fascinating life.
    We loved it & we are looking forward to next week's programme.

Yup, didn't expect to enjoy it quite as much as we did, very interesting and she's very engaging and a pleasure to watch.