The Mary Berry Story

Comments

• PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved it. I put it on as there was nothing else to watch, and i was gripped. A wonderful lady.
  • jamtamarajamtamara Posts: 2,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will it be repeated? I expect it will eventually but I mean anytime soon?
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,483
    Forum Member
    Have not been watching as fed up with cooking programmes, way to many.

But i remember her from House party many many years ago :o

Only a few came from that show into stardom.
  • wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jamtamara wrote: »
    Will it be repeated? I expect it will eventually but I mean anytime soon?

Not sure, but it's on Iplayer now.
  • newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member
    Porcupine wrote: »
    I loved it. I put it on as there was nothing else to watch, and i was gripped. A wonderful lady.

Same as, we stumbleduppon it but it was very engaging and she is such a charming woman, delighted there is more of this to look forward to next week.
    The stories about the dinners in the magazines were fascinating. :)
  • domedome Posts: 55,875
    Forum Member
    googleking wrote: »
    Whoa what is that white frying pan she is using (white on the inside)?

My kitchen needs that!

This is similar.

It definitely had a detachable handle.
  • Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    Really enjoyed it. I didn't realise she came from such a well to do background. Her early childhood looked very Blytonesque but she certainly had her problems in life. She seems to have been overlooked and ignored in school because she wasn't academic as well as having to miss a lot of school because of polio.
    I know one of her sons died in a car crash when he was a teenager which must have been absolutely horrendous for her.

I loved the scene of her and her two brothers in the boat. It was just gorgeous.

BTW I don't remember the bit about knitted swimsuits??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    This is my first message EVER on DS, so HELLO everyone!!

What a lovely lady!! So warm and genuine.

I loved watching the programme to see Bath (my home!) looking so splendid :):)

She is an amazing women with so many stories to tell.
  • StykerStyker Posts: 49,291
    Forum Member
    deleted, wrong thread.
  • hooterhooter Posts: 30,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dome wrote: »
    This is similar.

It definitely had a detachable handle.

£63!!!! Blooming heck......:eek:!!!

On the plus side..been drolling over that Victoria Sponge she cooked yesterday, so much so that I`ve just made one...Yum:D I need drool no more:D:D
  • TiggywinkTiggywink Posts: 3,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great programme I love Mary and she seems such a lovely lady . I always presumed Mary had arthrites in her hand and was very interested in the polio connection ,

Yes I thought that too - all the rubbing butter into flour.
  • shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member
    blondie_81 wrote: »
    This is my first message EVER on DS, so HELLO everyone!!

What a lovely lady!! So warm and genuine.

I loved watching the programme to see Bath (my home!) looking so splendid :):)

She is an amazing women with so many stories to tell.

Welcome! You picked a lovely first show to comment on!

Mary is such a stylish and glamorous lady and she has such a twinkle in those blue eyes you just know she'd be fun to be around!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    Caught up on iPlayer today and thought it was a really interesting programme from a purely historical viewpoint. Mary's manner and reactions to various aspects through the programme were a bonus. I loved the bit where she and her friend were under the brollies, remembering the 'old times' when the friend said something about the camping trips where there were two tents, one for the boys and one for girls and Mary suddenly went all coy and muttered something like "Yes... but I'm NOT going to say anything about that" - I swear she went a bit pink as she turned away from the camera..... :o

The term "Saucy minx" sprang to mind.......
  • Lola UKLola UK Posts: 3,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aw mary berry.. what a lovely lady! teared up when she was saw the picture of her and her father on the horse. what a lovely thing for her to see after all those years. 'i feel like my father loved me after seeing the way he was looking at me'

looking forward to next week now. :)
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone asked about repeats. Both are repeated on the afternoons of 9th and 10th February.
  • hooterhooter Posts: 30,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you Mary Berry..lovely programme. Really enjoyed it. Especially enjoyed the Victoria Sponge I made today and have eaten a large slice of.:D
  • kochspostulateskochspostulates Posts: 3,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really enjoyed it. I didn't realise she came from such a well to do background. Her early childhood looked very Blytonesque but she certainly had her problems in life. She seems to have been overlooked and ignored in school because she wasn't academic as well as having to miss a lot of school because of polio.
    I know one of her sons died in a car crash when he was a teenager which must have been absolutely horrendous for her.

I loved the scene of her and her two brothers in the boat. It was just gorgeous.

BTW I don't remember the bit about knitted swimsuits??

Even to this day if you are at school at not good academically or good at sports, you are often overlooked by teachers and other kids. Its good to show that you can make a real success out of your lift :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    shanders wrote: »
    Welcome! You picked a lovely first show to comment on!

Mary is such a stylish and glamorous lady and she has such a twinkle in those blue eyes you just know she'd be fun to be around!!

Thank you :):)
  • ktla5ktla5 Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mary Berry = Houseparty = Southern TV :-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    It is a fascinating story. What a remarkable lifestory. Mary's mother's cooking skills and thriftyness during and after the war and her father's goals to be self sufficient were interesting in themselves.
    The footage and photographs of the social history for instance, the treatment of the polio victims was more than I had ever seen or heard about on TV before, especially first hand from a victim, Mary herself.
    It was a really nicely balanced well made programme and I am looking forward to the next part. One of those worth the licence fee programmes.
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can imagine she was taken aback by the photo of her father on his horse.

If she was used to him not showing a lot, if any, emotion and then seeing him caught off guard like that ...
  • HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    If only more women could grow old gracefully as Mary Berry has. Still you you can't make a silk purse out of a Sour's ear can you?
    I see so many hags walking around where a bit of grooming wouldn't go amiss but the trouble, that cannot easily be rectified, is the terrible speech and grammar that issues from their mouths when they speak. I suppose a lot is due to the genes however.
  • ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,165
    Forum Member
    HHGTTG wrote: »
    If only more women could grow old gracefully as Mary Berry has. Still you you can't make a silk purse out of a Sour's ear can you?
    I see so many hags walking around where a bit of grooming wouldn't go amiss but the trouble, that cannot easily be rectified, is the terrible speech and grammar that issues from their mouths when they speak. I suppose a lot is due to the genes however.

I'm not so sure that it's genes where speech and grammar is concerned, that's down to whoever it was who taught those people to speak in the first place.

You do, however, have a point about the grooming, or lack of it, and it does appear to follow a pattern. I'd best not say any more but there is a section of society who all seem to look alike, greasy hair scraped back into a thin ponytail, overweight and wearing tight leggings with a short top that emphasises the rolls of Michelin Man fat.

Now, back to Mary Berry. What a lovely programme and what a lovely lady. I was given a cookbook written by Mary when I was married in 1966 and I still refer to it forty-odd years on. I'm looking forward to next Tuesday's programme when we see her rise to fame through the wonders of television.

I thank The Great British Bake Off for giving her a further chance to reach the general public, the younger ones who weren't around when she first hit our screens. I also thank her for introducing me to Paul Hollywood. Am I jealous of you, Mary Berry? You bet your sweet bippy that I am!!
  • Utopian GirlUtopian Girl Posts: 8,275
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »

I just brought a set of those back from Turkey - they're Italian iirc Eco cooking or something ( I've thrown the package) - didn't have time to try my ones out there& haven't been home long enough to try my imported ones!;) apparent you need less oil & they're non stick too. I just liked the colour & price as well.:)
  • shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member
    HHGTTG wrote: »

it's sow's ear!!!!