Nexus 7 suddenly charging slowly

DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
Forum Member
Anyone else noticed their nexus taking a longer time to charge? I'm not sure if it's due to the recent update that I ran, or due to my daughter making the usb port wobbly by forcing the cable in...?

Comments

• psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Using the original charger?
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    mine started doing this a few days ago.
  • njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can someone put some numbers on this? I always charge mine overnight, so I have no idea how long it takes to charge.
    Forum Member
    well all of a sudden it started not being charged by morning.

i don't use the standard lead because it's too short. but it was always charged by morning so i didn't care.
  • DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    Official charger used.

7h charge was 100%, is now ~60.

Good to know flagpole!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    I've also had this problem since the update to 4.3 about a fortnight ago. I've not downloaded any new apps and used the same websites as usual bbc, ds, sky etc so think it can only be down to the update. Used to take about 4 hours to fully charge it but now takes about 2 hours to charge 10%! Even when I'm using it whilst charging at the same time the battery still goes down. I've had the tablet since it first came out and right from the start have been using a different 2A charger as it has a longer lead and I've always had about the same amount of screentime (about 8hrs). Went back to the original Asus charger and it's made no difference.
    Forum Member
    Is it possible to role back the update?
  • The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mine updated with bug fixes to 4.3 last night so maybe it is fixed, that said i have not noticed mine charging any slower anyway
  • ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    I have a nexus 10 and lost my charging lead. Bought another USB-micro USB lead, and the tablet did take longer to charge. This was using the official plug, just a 3rd party lead. When I use my Galaxy S3 lead to charge (in the Nexus pug), then the tablet does charge faster.

Seems strange a non-standard lead would take longer to charge. However I usually charge my tablet overnight, so its not really a problem.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    apparently the length of the lead makes a difference, and that's why the ASUS leads tend to be shorter.
    Forum Member
    paulbrock wrote: »
    apparently the length of the lead makes a difference, and that's why the ASUS leads tend to be shorter.

Not sure why the length would matter. However I did replace my standard lead with one that is 3m long.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure either but its something I picked up from the XDA forum.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=29983624
    6. Increasing the length of the cable increases the charging circuit impedance and decreases the charging rate.
    Forum Member
    ACU wrote: »
    Not sure why the length would matter. However I did replace my standard lead with one that is 3m long.

the voltage drops over the length. makes a huge difference. and the flea bay 3m ones tend to be pretty crappy too.

you can see it easily enough. stick it on charge for half an hour with your 3m lead, and then swap to the factory lead for half an hour and look at the battery graph.
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »
    the voltage drops over the length. makes a huge difference. and the flea bay 3m ones tend to be pretty crappy too.

you can see it easily enough. stick it on charge for half an hour with your 3m lead, and then swap to the factory lead for half an hour and look at the battery graph.

I know the non-offical one charges slower. Just wasnt convinced that the length was the cause. I am going to read the XDA thread posted by Paul, and see if that convinces me. :D
    Forum Member
    It's because the wires are so thin.

And the resistance of any wire is proportional to it's length.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's because the wires are so thin.

And the resistance of any wire is proportional to it's length.
    I don't doubt the effect of the cable, but didn't you say that the charging time for your Nexus had suddenly deteriorated? I assumed you were still using the same cable. It's always possible that some of the even smaller wires inside have frayed, increasing the resistance, but otherwise something else must have changed. Does the problem disappear with a shorter, better cable? I still can't decide if this is an actual problem affecting some people or not!

No perceived change in my N7's charging performance so far (using the original cable).
    Forum Member
    got a system update today, be interesting to see if the charging problem is fixed by it.
    Have also tried another lead, with no benefit observed.
  • !!11oneone!!11oneone Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you go into Battery settings when charging, you can get two different charging states:

Charging on USB - this is taking current as if it was plugged into a computer and will take longer

Charging on AC is what you're looking for, for a fast charge. The type of cable can make a difference, as an AC capable will tell the device that the supply is able to give a higher current. You can buy USB charging-only cables that don't have the data connection and so give a faster charge.
    Forum Member
    !!11oneone wrote: »
    If you go into Battery settings when charging, you can get two different charging states:

Charging on USB - this is taking current as if it was plugged into a computer and will take longer

Charging on AC is what you're looking for, for a fast charge. The type of cable can make a difference, as an AC capable will tell the device that the supply is able to give a higher current. You can buy USB charging-only cables that don't have the data connection and so give a faster charge.

how would removing the data wires give a fatser charge?

i have been looking for a charging only cable but have never seen one. do you have a link?
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    how would removing the data wires give a fatser charge?

i have been looking for a charging only cable but have never seen one. do you have a link?

Think you need to look harder :D - loads of the things on eBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/High-Speed-Charge-Only-Micro-USB-Charging-Cable-Android-Quality-Fast-Charger-/221266793926?pt=UK_MobilePhones_MobilePhoneAccessories_MobilePhoneChargers&hash=item33848755c6

Weather or not it does what it says is another matter!
    Forum Member
    alan1302 wrote: »

I searched on eBay for charge only USB and found that one and one other one.

One on amazon.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    I searched on eBay for charge only USB and found that one and one other one.

One on amazon.

Can't imagine they actually do anything over and above a normal USB cable
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    Can't imagine they actually do anything over and above a normal USB cable
    USB charging is quite complicated when a USB host is involved. However, a Dedicated Charging Port is identified by the USB data pins being shorted out, and then the portable device is allowed to draw as much current as it likes.

So plugging one of these leads into a normal USB port would trick the device into thinking it was connected to a DCP. This may or may not be a Good Idea. It shouldn't make any difference when it is actually connected to a DCP, because D+ and D- should already be shorted out inside the charger.
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any idea if the n7 official dock allows the full 2 amps through the pogo pins? I dont feel ours charges the fastest with it but we had to get it as usb port buggered
    Forum Member
    njp wrote: »
    USB charging is quite complicated when a USB host is involved. However, a Dedicated Charging Port is identified by the USB data pins being shorted out, and then the portable device is allowed to draw as much current as it likes.

So plugging one of these leads into a normal USB port would trick the device into thinking it was connected to a DCP. This may or may not be a Good Idea. It shouldn't make any difference when it is actually connected to a DCP, because D+ and D- should already be shorted out inside the charger.
    The problem is, for some reason, very few chargers actually have the data pins shorted. Which is why I want a charge only cable. But they don't specifically say that they are shorted.