Should consoles go back to just playing games

Jamesollier18Jamesollier18 Posts: 1,831
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Should consoles just got back to being just gaming machines like they used to be or do you want the added extras even though you may have devices already that use them for playing DVD's, Blu Rays, Music etc

Comments

• Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    Should PCs just do spreadsheets?
  • Jamesollier18Jamesollier18 Posts: 1,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes they should
  • mikey86ukmikey86uk Posts: 5,657
    Forum Member
    Why?

PS3 and Xbox 360 do a very good job of doing both.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was thinking mainly for up and coming consoles if it helps keep costs down.
  • mikey86ukmikey86uk Posts: 5,657
    Forum Member
    Doubt it very much, everything is already in place.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was thinking mainly for up and coming consoles if it helps keep costs down.

how would it keep costs down?
  • steveOooosteveOooo Posts: 5,002
    Forum Member
    No - my ps3 is my freeview pvr, bluray / DVD player, plays / streams video from PC, iplayer, Netflix oh and it also plays games! One box under the tv - great!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if you where getting a PS4 that did all that as well would you be OK with that, would you sell the PS 3 to make way for the 4th because it could do all that and was a new gaming machine
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's nothing stopping anyone using a console for gaming alone and not using any of the other features.
  • kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only use my Xbox for gaming never use the apps and that :)
  • vampirekvampirek Posts: 4,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should consoles just got back to being just gaming machines like they used to be or do you want the added extras even though you may have devices already that use them for playing DVD's, Blu Rays, Music etc

I wouldn't even call these added extras considering consoles have a hard drive (so music is easily added) and use DVD's/Blu Rays for the games... so nothing is added. It would be a very stupid move not include them. Not just that, those you mentioned have helped changed the gaming consoles in a way we thought not possible 20 years ago.

Things like Netflix etc, aren't necessarily important but they are optional things rather than added extras
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    vampirek wrote: »
    I wouldn't even call these added extras considering consoles have a hard drive (so music is easily added) and use DVD's/Blu Rays for the games... so nothing is added. It would be a very stupid move not include them. Not just that, those you mentioned have helped changed the gaming consoles in a way we thought not possible 20 years ago.

Things like Netflix etc, aren't necessarily important but they are optional things rather than added extras

These "Extras" have helped to establish formats BluRay won due to PS3, PS3 helped with DVD even though the cheap Samsung did more for DVD
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If these capabilities were not there I would have to seriously consider if upgrading to the next gen of consoles was worthwhile.
  • heyrehairheyrehair Posts: 655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No no no no no no no
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NO because they aren't just gaming consoles now.
  • Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    I appreciate the PS3 because its one less 'box' I have to have under the telly if I want to watch a blu ray or a dvd.

Dunno about how other people get on with it, but it's like cable junction behind my telly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich_L wrote: »
    I appreciate the PS3 because its one less 'box' I have to have under the telly if I want to watch a blu ray or a dvd.

Dunno about how other people get on with it, but it's like cable junction behind my telly.

That's the downside of having all these consoles and STB's connected to your main TV. I have a home cinema and have my Ps3 and Xbox360 connected to it so I get the best sound from them but the wires down the back are so unsightly.
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. I like being able to rent a movie, play some music, catch up on some TV, all without having to put my PC on, just the TV and the PS3 or Xbox.

I wouldn't like just a games machine, not at the price we pay for them.
    Forum Member
    if you where getting a PS4 that did all that as well would you be OK with that, would you sell the PS 3 to make way for the 4th because it could do all that and was a new gaming machine

If it had freeview HD,, 2-3tb drive upgrade option, could play ps3 and all the psn games ive bought / psn plus continues then yes - perhaps wait a year or so as new consoles seem to have issues - YLROD, RROD etc!!

Play TV (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0017UV0UG/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=19450&creativeASIN=B0017UV0UG&linkCode=as2&tag=mysp085-21 ) you're able to turn the ps3 into a 1tb freeview PVR - although, you can't get Freeview HD presently.

A HDD like this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005DVJJWQ/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=19450&creativeASIN=B005DVJJWQ&linkCode=as2&tag=mysp085-21 would be spot on! Note as well, play tv Upscaled the sd image - certainly the best freeview sd image I've ever seen.

The ps3 is the only box under my tv - I've never used a Xbox so it's one sided

Oh, and you can get a remote to control the ps3 and TV too with the v2.0 remote control (around £18 from amazon on import - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0050SX9I2/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=19450&creativeASIN=B0050SX9I2&linkCode=as2&tag=mysp085-21 )
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steveOooo wrote: »
    If it had freeview HD,, 2-3tb drive upgrade option, could play ps3 and all the psn games ive bought / psn plus continues then yes - perhaps wait a year or so as new consoles seem to have issues - YLROD, RROD etc!!

Play TV (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0017UV0UG/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=19450&creativeASIN=B0017UV0UG&linkCode=as2&tag=mysp085-21 ) you're able to turn the ps3 into a 1tb freeview PVR - although, you can't get Freeview HD presently.

A HDD like this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005DVJJWQ/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=19450&creativeASIN=B005DVJJWQ&linkCode=as2&tag=mysp085-21 would be spot on! Note as well, play tv Upscaled the sd image - certainly the best freeview sd image I've ever seen.

The ps3 is the only box under my tv - I've never used a Xbox so it's one sided

Oh, and you can get a remote to control the ps3 and TV too with the v2.0 remote control (around £18 from amazon on import - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0050SX9I2/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=19450&creativeASIN=B0050SX9I2&linkCode=as2&tag=mysp085-21 )

I didn't realise there was a V2 of the remote, does it turn the PS3 on when you press any button like the one? I really hate that feature!
    Forum Member
    Gormond wrote: »
    I didn't realise there was a V2 of the remote, does it turn the PS3 on when you press any button like the one? I really hate that feature!

It doesn't, if you turn the tv off after turning the ps3 off / or just press 'tv' which deactivates all the buttons.
    There's a seperate 'ps3 on' button - so only one button to turn the ps3 on instead of 'all'

For some weird reason, it's not avail. In Europe - I paid £18 from amazon, sent from within the uk - works fine with UK Sony TV/ ps3 etc... Only bummer, play, pause buttons sometimes bit fiddily to use vs the big buttons of the old remote
  • CallousCallous Posts: 11,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the extra "non-gaming" stuff is fine... as long as it doesn't increase the hardware cost to all consumers.

For instance a streaming movie /tv service is fine as it's up to the consumer to choose if they want to pay and it doesn't increase the hardware price...

...but I would rather not have the additional costs for licensing the abilty to play DVD/blu-ray included in the console price. Far fairer to allow people to pay to download a key to unlock the functionality..rather than charging all consumers for functionality that many will not want.
  • ScrubberScrubber Posts: 4,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not necessarily but i'd like them to give priority focus to gaming, most seem to be trying to turn the consoles into media devices rather than gaming consoles.
  • JambobJambob Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as the focus is on gaming the extra functions are fine. I don't think Sony will try to cram anything like as much tech into their next console though, they got hit hard by the off-putting price point and the loss they had to swallow on each unit sold last time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Should mobile phones go back to just being phones? ;)