YouTube issues reminder to video game uploaders

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
Forum Member
✭✭✭
We know we have a lot of partners who love and want to post videos relating to games, so we wanted to share some tips to help you monetize gaming content.

As always, you should ensure that you have all the necessary rights to commercially use all content in a video before you submit it for monetization.
● Get written permission. Some publishers may allow you to monetize videos containing their game content if you reach out and ask.
● Videos showing software user interface may only be monetized if you’ve signed a contract with the publisher or paid a licensing fee.
● If you do not have the appropriate license from a video game publisher, your videos must contain minimal use of video game or software user interface and be as informative and educational as possible - commentary must follow the live action shown step by step.
A final reminder: Simply buying or playing a video game does not grant you the copyright or permission to monetize. To earn revenue from videos from the game, you need commercial rights.

https://plus.google.com/+YouTubeCreators/posts/SULUVfi3K2T

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems this won't affect most Let's Play's, but I have a feeling that after Nintendo's move Let's Play's are the next target after second hand games.
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's The Angry Video Game Nerd screwed then.
  • blitzben85blitzben85 Posts: 3,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Elpresador ?

He was funny at first but then became a wa*ker.
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Youtube's getting fascist.
  • alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    Youtube's getting fascist.

Actually it isn't. It is staying well out of it. It lets you post whatever you like but then also gives the big corps free licence to steal your ads or have the footage removed. It gets a cut from the ad revenue regardless and is letting everyone else fight over what is left.

"fair use" is assumed in the US but has never been legally defined, hopefully the courts will now back it up, one way or another, with some precidant.
  • Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blitzben85 wrote: »
    Elpresador ?

He was funny at first but then became a wa*ker.

I agree, but i think most of the yank commentators are d1cks. Elpres and Thunder were pretty shocking recently when they slagged off that bigger youtubers disabled child.

It's weird. They get a million subs, half of them dead subs, and they suddenly think they're Brad Pitt. Thunder even ignores tweets like he's some sort of famous person.

I'd piss myself laughing if Activision stopped allowing the Cod uploads. But i would miss General Minus and Dai Ling Ping.
  • blitzben85blitzben85 Posts: 3,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Delboy219 wrote: »
    I agree, but i think most of the yank commentators are d1cks. Elpres and Thunder were pretty shocking recently when they slagged off that bigger youtubers disabled child.

It's weird. They get a million subs, half of them dead subs, and they suddenly think they're Brad Pitt. Thunder even ignores tweets like he's some sort of famous person.

I'd piss myself laughing if Activision stopped allowing the Cod uploads. But i would miss General Minus and Dai Ling Ping.

That's the reason I unsubscribed from Elpres, he says controversial things to gain hits. As you said, they seem to think they are "it" when in reality they are nothing more than gamers who post on youtube.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's the reason I unsubscribed from Elpres, he says controversial things to gain hits. As you said, they seem to think they are "it" when in reality they are nothing more than gamers who post on youtube.
    It is no surprise that David Vonderhaar keeps tweeting every now and then (sarcastically) that he has a YouTube channel therefore he is an expert in everything.

I don't think he likes them.

There are a few YouTubers I like. They offer tips. They dig deep into games and try to improve your game.

There are some that used to be like that but then realised the money they could make so kind of stepped away from periodic informative videos to putting out daily videos of just regular gameplay and talking about non-sense.

Then you get those that are seemingly in it to be the most popular or get the move views. They steal news or info from other users and pass it off as their own.

I mean how many videos for COD do you see out there where some kid is going 'hi guys I've got some exclusive new news for you on xyz'. You ain't got diddly.

I recall one ALI-A video where Treyarch had just uploaded the BO2 reveal trailer and then all he did was re-upload the video and said something along the lines of 'hi guys here is it the Black Ops 2 trailer'. That was his entire contribution to the video.

No breakdown. Just a replay of another video that has already been uploaded by the official source.

The video was just not needed. He's definitely one of the worst in my book.
  • CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    Seems this won't affect most Let's Play's, but I have a feeling that after Nintendo's move Let's Play's are the next target after second hand games.

Yeah, it seems to allow most LPs. If it gets to the point where they do ban LPs, then they'll just go to a different video sharing site.
  • Super BanditSuper Bandit Posts: 1,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chopoff wrote: »

I recall one ALI-A video where Treyarch had just uploaded the BO2 reveal trailer and then all he did was re-upload the video and said something along the lines of 'hi guys here is it the Black Ops 2 trailer'. That was his entire contribution to the video.

No breakdown. Just a replay of another video that has already been uploaded by the official source.

The video was just not needed. He's definitely one of the worst in my book.

I totally agree with you on this one. It takes absolutely no effort or merit re-uploading trailers, and the uploader is greedy and comes across as a total "Money ****". Break down trailers are great instead. I do feel sorry for those who work hard trying to make somewhat original commentaries , and see a reupload getting millions more views.
  • MsLurkerMsLurker Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I hope not. I think they're actually great ads for games. I bought loads of games because I watched quite a few of these Let's Play type videos because they gave me a better grasp of what the game is like rather than the selective PR official playthroughs.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this is GARBAGE

only because SOME could take the "paid" route, like nintendo are, then others are following this idiotic way!

this isn't about copywrite, it's about them gaining that tiny extra bit or revenue from people!

ANOTHER TRAWL FROM YOUTUBE!!!

imagine MICROSOFT asking for money every time someone posts ANYTHING that has the windows interface???
    :rolleyes:
  • HypnosHypnos Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elpresador ?

No, Angry Video Game Nerd! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jenzie wrote: »
    this is GARBAGE

only because SOME could take the "paid" route, like nintendo are, then others are following this idiotic way!

this isn't about copywrite, it's about them gaining that tiny extra bit or revenue from people!

imagine MICROSOFT asking for money every time someone posts ANYTHING that has the windows interface???
    The law is the law.
  • Ulysses777Ulysses777 Posts: 741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jenzie wrote: »
    this is GARBAGE

You realise that this notice is targeted at people who upload game-related videos with the intention of making money through advertising?

Content makers such as those behind Star Wars and Star Trek have said for decades that they have no problem with fan-made productions using their material as long as they don't make money from them.

They are extremely unlikely to go after anyone who uploads a game-related video with no advertising.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    are these uploaders RESELLING the game, or COPYING the code for those games???

then this is tenuous at best in relation to actual copywrite law!

and why are they not going after YOUTUBE THEMSELVES for offering paid advertising to uploaders?

all this is getting WAY out of hand, and make youtube and game sellers grubby cash grabbers