How could a friend replace "The Last Of Us" without paying full price again?

Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
Forum Member
A friend bought "The Last Of Us" a couple of months ago,since then he completed it but the disc became mysteriously deeply scratched, it doesn't work. He believes a family member might have done it in revenge but he is really adamant that he doesn't want to simply replace it at full or near full price as I would probably do.

So because the used price for this game doesn't seem to be below £30 at this point he wants to get another one from somewhere like Asda and swap the discs and then return it. Would this be an advisable way to solve the problem without him having to shell out again?

Comments

• paulj48paulj48 Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So because the used price for this game doesn't seem to be below £30 at this point he wants to get another one from somewhere like Asda and swap the discs and then return it. Would this be an advisable way to solve the problem without him having to shell out again?

I've got a few more suggestions along those same lines:

shop lift it
    mug someone for money the buy it
    break into a house to steal it
    sell his ass down the docks

All the above are illegal (and said tongue in cheek) but so's his suggestion.
  • gothergother Posts: 14,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try taking the disc to Game they have a disc repair machine which might be able to repair it for £2
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he needs to man up. Face the consequences. Either try the disc repair above or write it off as a loss.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dont know if naughty dog does this but ...

one time i scratched a cod game...think it was cod 4, i emailed customer support and asked for replacement...they replied if i sent in the damaged disk ,that they would exchange for new for a fee, think it was like 15£ incl postage

so maybe try naughty dog customer support(there will be phone numbers in the game manual )

or failing that , rent a copy from somehwere , swap disks , and complain that game you hired didnt work , you will get a free hire too :)
  • SpeedloaferSpeedloafer Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A friend bought "The Last Of Us" a couple of months ago,since then he completed it but the disc became mysteriously deeply scratched, it doesn't work. He believes a family member might have done it in revenge but he is really adamant that he doesn't want to simply replace it at full or near full price as I would probably do.

Moral issues aside, buying a new game and walking back in a few hours later saying its scratched to bits is a bit suspicious.
  • Tictac2Tictac2 Posts: 227
    Forum Member

You're seeking advice to advocate theft?
  • Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    grps3 wrote: »
    dont know if naughty dog does this but ...

one time i scratched a cod game...think it was cod 4, i emailed customer support and asked for replacement...they replied if i sent in the damaged disk ,that they would exchange for new for a fee, think it was like 15£ incl postage

so maybe try naughty dog customer support(there will be phone numbers in the game manual )

or failing that , rent a copy from somehwere , swap disks , and complain that game you hired didnt work , you will get a free hire too :)

That's a great suggestion, they might just do that. Although these scratches (and I have seen them) look far from accidental, certainly don't like how a cat might scratch a disc left out or the way it might get marked if it fell against things and scraped on the floor. It looks like foul play and for the disc itself that means no play.
  • Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    Tictac2 wrote: »
    You're seeking advice to advocate theft?

I neither condone it nor advocate it, I'm somewhere in the middle. Not a fan of zombie games myself although having seen it round his house (pre scratching incident) I had to admit the graphics and settings were fairly stunning. Much like the Uncharted games which I have tried playing.

It's a bit frustrating he won't just get another one because although it's a bummer he could probably afford it, although that always runs the risks of having the same thing happening again, downloading it off the store would stop his brother from doing it again (who he suspects as they always have resentments between them)

Although morally dodgy, the swap and return scam might apart from getting a disc replacement off the company would probably be his only way of getting out of paying full whack for a new copy.

These scratches being deliberate ones are probably way too deep for disc repair machines to work, or can they work miracles?
  • mikey86ukmikey86uk Posts: 5,657
    Forum Member
    Surely nobody is going to fall for his stupid idea?

There's surely only 1 reason why someone would buy a game in store then a few hours return it and ask for a refund?

Just tell him to take it into GAME and they might be able to fix it for about £3 i think it is?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member

Get the family person who damaged it to pay for it or call the local non emergency Police number to report vandalism.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    mikey86uk wrote: »
    Surely nobody is going to fall for his stupid idea?

There's surely only 1 reason why someone would buy a game in store then a few hours return it and ask for a refund?

Just tell him to take it into GAME and they might be able to fix it for about £3 i think it is?

Blurays have a toughened coating to prevent accident scratches, the person who did it will have scratched into the data layer, disc is scrap.

Call non emergency Police number for vandalism
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tell your friend that next time they shouldn't piss off their family members, or get revenge!