Strange Noise in the House

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
Forum Member
Newby here.

I wonder if anyone else has come across this.

Some time ago we had a new digital TV aerial installed on our chimney stack. This included a powered booster attached to the mast, with the power unit in the lounge.

We have become aware of a high pitched noise which can be heard both upstairs and downstairs in the house and seems to emanate from the chimney area. If anything it is louder upstairs. The high pitched noise is not constant, sometimes it goes away for days but then returns. It is definitely not wind related, since there is a definite cycle or beat to the noise, and therefore I guess it is electronically generated.

Is it possible that the booster unit is making this noise and it is being transmitted down the pole and through the chimney stack?

Has anyone heard of this before? Any suggestions gratefully received!

Many thanks.

Harold

Comments

• soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Next time it happens you can prove if it is related to something electronic by turning the mains power off and on to see if this turns the noise off/on as well. If you have a circuit breaker mains fuse box then you can do this by circuit. If you know the ring main or lighting circuit the powered booster is connected to then start with this first. Modern switch-mode power supplies can produce a buzzing sound but I would be surprised if you could hear it all over the house.

I assume you have ruled out any connection with the central heating/hot water system (I had a problem recently due to air in the pipes causing a whistling noise).
  • Anti-StaticAnti-Static Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    Thermostatic radiator valves are good at producing a high pitched whine.
  • CorinCorin Posts: 7,224
    Forum Member
    Soulboy77 wrote: »
    I had a problem recently due to air in the pipes causing a whistling noise.
    That is indeed the most usual cause of this type of noise.

So, Hdraycott, try bleeding your radiators.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corin wrote: »
    That is indeed the most usual cause of this type of noise.

So, Hdraycott, try bleeding your radiators.

If it don't work and you have a boiler too big for the house contact a Central Heating Expert. If not contact the people who installed it. They might have a solution.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is the lashing for the aerial a wire type or the newer Blakes chimney strap type? http://www.tracsat.co.uk/catalog/images/Stack-Strap.gif
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Hi, it's not the central heating - the noise can happen anytime during the day or night - even when the heating system is shut down.

I believe that the lashing is the older wire type.
  • CWattersCWatters Posts: 385
    Forum Member
    Wind can produce a beating effect.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    we get noise from the aerial - but only when its windy (which is every few days where we live). I think its the wind going up the hollow pole. I can only guess that the deeper note we get is due to the longer pole, while a shorter pole would make a higher pitch noise. The direction of the wind also makes a difference.

But there is not beat or rythem to this - not like it says in the op, and we only get it when its windy.

Dave
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It could be the "banshee" effect. Basically the wind "plays" the mast like a flute because the installer was too tight (or lazy) to fit mast caps.
    http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page2a.htm#poles
    If you've ever played a flute, you'll know that it doesn't take much "wind speed" to make a noise.
  • Channel HopperChannel Hopper Posts: 15,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It could be the "banshee" effect. Basically the wind "plays" the mast like a flute because the installer was too tight (or lazy) to fit mast caps.
    http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page2a.htm#poles
    If you've ever played a flute, you'll know that it doesn't take much "wind speed" to make a noise.

Or it could be something as simple as the part of the pole fitted by the installer scraping on one of the overhangs of the chimney, possibly the top set of bricks/tiles. Check if the lashing clamp looks as though it will stand the pole off far enough from anything that might rub on it.

Before you waste your money on mast caps from internet 'professional' salesmen (who no doubt will fit them for you in the sale price), grab a set of binoculars and have a good look outside.
    Then call in the person that installed the system.