sky hd box and the internet

callmedivacallmediva Posts: 1,862
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Can my HD box be used to connect to the internet?

I was looking through some of the sections while I was looking at the TV guide and noticed one about IP addresses and stuff.

I did a self install with it and didn't notice anything about it connecting to the net. I've got a wireless router in the same room, so could it connect to that, if so what do I need.

I'm a bit of a numpty when it comes to things like this, needless to say :o

Comments

• Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The internet connection is used for downloading Anytime+ material. Connect the two together, let the Sky box get an IP address from the router, and try downloading some Anytime+ material. If it downloads it okay, its working fine. If it can't autodetect an IP address, give it one manually based on the IP structure of your home network.

To connect them, you need a network cable connecting the RJ45 port on your Sky box to a spare RJ45 port on your router.
  • xbob26xbob26 Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    Not to connect to the internet in the usual sense.
    The sky hd box can be connected to the internet to receive Sky's Anytime+ service to download TV content on demand.
    At the moment you have to have Sky's unlimited broadband to receive this service but it's apparently being opened up to those with other broadband providers very soon (later this month has been mentioned).
  • MeanMintMeanMint Posts: 454
    Forum Member
    The network port on the back of the Sky HD box is mainly for connection Anytime + if you currently have Sky Broadband.

If you have another internet provider you will be able to get this soon (They say by Easter but have not said which Easter :cool:).

I have mine connected via ethernet cable direct to the router the best and cheapest way to do it.
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the Sky Box and the Router are in the same room, you just need a standard ethernet cable to connect the 2 together,

Who is your broadband supplier?

As of today, only Sky BB users can activate Anytime+ on thier boxes, but Sky say by Easter it will be available no matter who supplies your broadband.
  • callmedivacallmediva Posts: 1,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talk Talk.

Thanks for your replies, any chance one of you could post in English, :D I really am a serious numpty.

What's RJ45 and ethernet? :confused:

The router and the box are in the same room, but quite a distance from each other
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    callmediva wrote: »
    Talk Talk.

Thanks for your replies, any chance one of you could post in English, :D I really am a serious numpty.

What's RJ45 and ethernet? :confused:

The router and the box are in the same room, but quite a distance from each other

Basically you need a cable similar to this

Needs to be connected to the Ethernet Port on the rear of the Sky+HD box and then also connected to your router.
  • SnedSned Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    Can A Sky+HD Box Connect wirelessly like my p.c. does?
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,328
    Forum Member
    Sned wrote: »
    Can A Sky+HD Box Connect wirelessly like my p.c. does?

Yes, and Sky can supply a special Wireless dongle that makes it dead simple to connect via your Sky Broadband, or you can use a Wireless Bridge, but you need to connect it to your PC first and set it up.
    Forum Member
    Thanks Nigel, Only problem now is we can't get Sky Broadband here in Ireland!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sned wrote: »
    Thanks Nigel, Only problem now is we can't get Sky Broadband here in Ireland!

You don't need it, as reported above, it will be available to any BB user from around Easter.
  • callmedivacallmediva Posts: 1,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JTsky wrote: »
    Basically you need a cable similar to this

Needs to be connected to the Ethernet Port on the rear of the Sky+HD box and then also connected to your router.

ta :)
  • bponebpone Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    You don't need it, as reported above, it will be available to any BB user from around Easter.

Have They Said Anything About Us, Living Abroad? Will Anytime+ work with non-UK European Broadband?

Thanx..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bpone wrote: »
    Have They Said Anything About Us, Living Abroad? Will Anytime+ work with non-UK European Broadband?

Thanx..

I doubt it, as you are supposed to be in the UK to receive the Sky service, why would they open it up to European ISP's?
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,328
    Forum Member
    bpone wrote: »

I would imagine, just like iPLayer, it's 'locked' to UK only as it's a UK only service.
    Forum Member
    Uk & Ireland, Hopefully :-)