question about iphone 4s battery, charges and runs out fast.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
Forum Member
Hi there,

I just have bought my first Iphone 4S (second hand). Everything is fine till I noticed my battery quality. The battery charges very fast (1-2hours and it's full) and really fast runs out even in stand by mode. I don't have a lot of app's.
GPS is off, push notifications are off (has been set to manually). Even the brightness is 30-50% level.

Probably the reason is second hand Iphone and battery probably hasn't been changed since factory.
Any ideas guys ?

p.s. I am thinking to buy a new battery in ebay but I am worried which one would be the best, because most of them are low qualities, any suggestions what battery I should looking for?

Regards,

Ed

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still have an iphone 4 (not the 4S).

The battery life was appaling up untill the recent ios update, now suddenly the battery lasts twice as long as it did prior to that?

The only thing i can say is that im selective about how i let my apps connect and when - i do however have email set to push notfication once per hour.

Ive seen people in the Uk fitting batteries for between 20 & 30 quid, my Dad had his repalced and the guy gave him a 6month warranty with it (not bad i thought?). Maybe its better to get someone to fit it if you can find a similar offer?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    Geordiesi, so your dad is happy with his battery now ? how many hours he can use ?
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Do you actually see your battery life counting down to 0%?

As a rule, if your battery is shagged it'll be at anywhere from 50% to 90% and the phone will suddenly shut down.

If you see the battery discharging all the way to 20%, 10%, 5% etc then chances are that the battery is still okay (or only in the early stages of failure) and it's app's that's giving the battery a hammering.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you tried re calibrating the battery?

Let it run out completely and then fully charge it.
    Forum Member
    I have done 'Let it run out completely and then fully charge it.'
    is there any other way how to calibrate ?

also when my battery drops to 20% it suddenly turns off.
    Forum Member
    Eddy_Eddys wrote: »
    also when my battery drops to 20% it suddenly turns off.

That sounds like the first signs of a duff battery.

When mine was at that stage I was trying to convince myself that I was using the phone more, that I wasn't charging it properly, that I must have left GPS turned on and there wasn't actually anything wrong etc.

Oh, while I'm at it, I bet that, even though it switches off with 20% power left, when you plug it in to charge it up the charging graphic shows the battery to be completely dead, right?

It's gonna get worse in the coming months.
    Start searching for "How to change an iPhone 4s battery" on youtube. ;)
    Forum Member
    Isn't problem to change a battery by my self, but I don't know what battery should I choose. On ebay it's a lot of different variations of batteries, which one would be the best I don't know.
  • KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Take it to an Apple store (if you live close enough to one) and they'll run some diagnostic tests. They may replace the battery for free if it is encountering issues. If not, you can get a battery replacement for £55.
    Forum Member
    Eddy_Eddys wrote: »
    Isn't problem to change a battery by my self, but I don't know what battery should I choose. On ebay it's a lot of different variations of batteries, which one would be the best I don't know.

Must admit, I wouldn't worry too much about which battery to buy.

Thing is, an iPhone is a smart device which tells you when the battery is going flat and will switch the phone off looooong before the battery voltage is low enough that it'll start to go into meltdown and, potentially, do any damage to your phone.

If it was me I'd buy a battery off a UK eBay seller for £5-odd, fit it and see if had a decent battery-life.
    If it was going flat within hours I'd remove it and then consider what to do next.
    I certainly wouldn't start by spending £55 to get it replaced.

FWIW, I've bought replacement batteries for the iPhone 3gs and 4s (for myself and several other people) from THIS guy and never had any problems.

*EDIT*

While I'm at it, be aware that removing the battery is often a bit harder than some of the video's on youtube might portray.
    The sticky-pad that holds the battery in place can make it a real struggle to get the battery out.
    It's not difficult but you've just got to go slow and ease the battery out, a bit at a time.
    My top-tip is to use two devices to get the battery out.
    I use a plastic epoxy mixer, push it under the edge of the battery and then use another similar device to lever the battery out and, as the battery begins to come loose, push the first tool in slightly further.
    Basically, use one tool like a wedge and then use another tool to pry at the battery to loosen it further, a little bit at a time.
  • moleymoley Posts: 399
    Forum Member
    I was having problems with the battery in my 18 month old 4s. It was shutting off at 35%!
    I ordered a new battery from here took me 10 minutes to change and has been great since! Runs down to 1% now :D
    Forum Member
    I agree. If I can repair laptop or computer I can repair mobile phone too!

Does someone have tried to change smashed/broken screen ? I have seen some tutorials on internet, seems a lot of scruws. The screen must be together with digitizer ?