Do playstation trophies bother you?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
Forum Member
As the title says, not sure if anyone has spoken about this before but I was just curious. I used to have an Xbox 360 and tried to get achievements as much as possible to improve my game score. On the PS3 obviously there are trophies and although I'm not addicted to getting them I do like to get as many as I can before I finish with a game. It's not like its even for bragging rights as none of my friends see them. I just wandered how bothered people were about their trophies?

Comments

• Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You'd need to be over sensitive to be bothered by trophies. I personally find I enjoy games far more since trophies were introduced.

I see them as little side missions within a game and the reward is something to keep as a permanent reminder of that game.
  • NedubizNedubiz Posts: 2,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree with flawed-tatics here. Trophies do seem to add something to the gaming experience for me. I find it encourages me to play a game more thoroughly than I would have done in the past - e.g. trying to get all the skill points in Racthet and Clank or 100%ing the Lego games. Previously if I enjoyed a game I would complete it then move on.
  • Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    Nope, its taken me 6 months to get every trophy for Demons Souls
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I find them childish and nonsensical.
  • JimallJimall Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    I agree with Flawed-Tactics and Nedubiz.

There are most definitely games that I have played a lot more simply because of the trophies. I'm not saying that I only play a game because of the trophies, but I do find them an extension to the game, mini challenges and a reason to do something that I otherwise wouldn't bother with.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nedubiz wrote: »
    Agree with flawed-tatics here. Trophies do seem to add something to the gaming experience for me. I find it encourages me to play a game more thoroughly than I would have done in the past - e.g. trying to get all the skill points in Racthet and Clank or 100%ing the Lego games. Previously if I enjoyed a game I would complete it then move on.

^^This

I have always been the type to go after things like getting all the cheats unlocked in Goldeneye or all 120 stars in Mario64 on N64 so trophies really feed into that completest nature of mine.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Fun to compare them with friends
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In what why are they nonsensical?

I think they make perfect sense its a checklist of sorts that lets you know once the credits roll there is still a bunch of stuff to do

Take resi 6 for example, i've now played through the game twice and i switched the character i played as both times, would i of done that if there wasn't character specific trophies, probably not i would of just as the characters i know again

Another example is uncharted if you again look at the trophy list as a check list then doing 100% of the game equals getting 100% of the trophies

So i ask you how can you think it 'childish and nonsensical' to actual finish a game?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They do not bother me in the slightest, I never consider them
  • lamblamlamblamblamlamb Posts: 654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like them but I hate online ones as they are the ones stopping me getting platinum on my games
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like them but I hate online ones as they are the ones stopping me getting platinum on my games

I agree with this, I enjoy getting the single player ones but hate online ones. I don't play online these days I just don't enjoy it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 242
    Forum Member

Someone has asked why they are nonsensical, I'm interested in finding out why you also consider them childish?

They are just there; you don't have to get them.

Sometimes Epeeing is just a little bit of fun, that's why we play games.. fun.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree. I wish the online trophies had their own section like DLC does so they don't effect the core game and so the Platinum is possible with only the offline component of the game.

I actually quite like going for the online trophies in games I enjoy online and that still have people playing. It annoys me when I buy an older game only to be held back from getting Platinum because nobody plays the online mode or worse the online mode has been shut down.
    Forum Member
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    In what why are they nonsensical?

I think they make perfect sense its a checklist of sorts that lets you know once the credits roll there is still a bunch of stuff to do

Take resi 6 for example, i've now played through the game twice and i switched the character i played as both times, would i of done that if there wasn't character specific trophies, probably not i would of just as the characters i know again

Another example is uncharted if you again look at the trophy list as a check list then doing 100% of the game equals getting 100% of the trophies

So i ask you how can you think it 'childish and nonsensical' to actual finish a game?

I've only finished one game and that was in 1987.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've only finished one game and that was in 1987.

What was it? :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Some online ones are good - literally take part in one match
    Forum Member
    Numa wrote: »
    Someone has asked why they are nonsensical, I'm interested in finding out why you also consider them childish?

They are just there; you don't have to get them.

Sometimes Epeeing is just a little bit of fun, that's why we play games.. fun.

They annoy me. I wish I could turn them off.

I get them on Steam. Doubly annoying.
    Forum Member
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    What was it? :confused:

A Masteronic game.
  • mojobrewmojobrew Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get annoyed with the stupid trophies that are clearly only there to promote certain online areas - like FIFA, trophy for uploading a vid and another for uploading a pic. That's not an achievement is it, it's just doing something.

I don't generally have a problem with trophies though, when they're well thought out and actually add to the game rather than just being there as stupid extra monotonous tasks.

I also struggle to understand gamers who will refuse to play a game which doesn't have trophy support. Think some people forget that games are for fun not for points
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like trophies I find I actually stick with the games longer because I have something to aim for.
  • Mark AMark A Posts: 7,687
    Forum Member
    Couldn't give a rat's backside about them. If I could switch them off permanantly for all games I would.

Regards

Mark
  • HypnosHypnos Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Definitely a yes for me, they have encouraged me to play more games and for longer. Also I like to flick through my old achievements now and then and reminisce about playing games in the past.

There are some downsides, playing through the first 2 Mass Effect's for example, had to have my laptop next to me so I could double check if any achievements were missable etc.

Also online trophies or achievements can GTFO.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I go on a PS3 trophy site sometimes and the reaction to singstar on the XMB in so over the top its scary here are a few

Comment #11 by Exedome
    Wednesday, October 24, 2012 @ 02:27:54 PM

Bullshit!! You can't even get platinum with the songs that are included. Now I have a 0% game on my list that I'm never going to play...

Comment #14 by LordJoly
    Wednesday, October 24, 2012 @ 02:36:32 PM

I WANT THIS CRAP OUT OF MY XMB NOWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Comment #18 by Cloud AC
    Wednesday, October 24, 2012 @ 02:53:36 PM

Thank you Sony for bubby-trapping my PS3. If I misclick this piece of garbage and get a 0% on this shitty game, I'm gonna sue your ****ing ass. Yes, I'm that ****ing serious about videogames and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/news-1817-Game-Added--SingStar--XMB-.html] there are more at the link

can people really be that bothered about a free game and this is when getting trophies goes to far, when actually won't play a game because you can't platinum

its a sad fact that while soon of us see trophies as adding extra playtime to a game others are clearly to obsessed to the point of maybe they need a doctor to help find out what is wrong with them that they think trophies actually matter
  • ConroyConroy Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are stupid idiots. The icon links to a download file (just like Netflix, Lovefilm or Home). Just clicking the icon doesn't start the game. They have to accept the first warning that appears then wait for the download finish and to install.

If someone is moaning about a game appearing in their trophy list that they don't want to play, they only have themselves to blame.
  • djfrancisdjfrancis Posts: 512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On call of duty and the F1 games i can understand the level as there no point going for someone whois level 20 and your level 1, you know your gonna be a target?

If no one had a level then is harder :confused:you be competing with a level 20 :confused:

trophies bother you? In a way yes as you earn it and other ways is just a game.