Best make up tips from anyone

13»

Comments

• purplelinuspurplelinus Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flicky eyeliner

I always start by drawing a line underneath my lower lashes (starting near the outside corner) and then flicking that up until both sides are even. Then I draw from the corner of the flick down across my eyelid to the corner of my eye. This is all in pencil and when I am happy I draw over this with my gel eyeliner for staying power (I rub my eyes and find I lose my flicks if I use just pencil).

I find if I just try and draw a line it's never even :confused:
  • purplelinuspurplelinus Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fieldfare wrote: »
    I've done my very scientific comparison of the L'Oreal and Blinc tubes mascara and should you care here are my thoughts!

The Blinc feels nice and high quality, it's a good black and even with the teeny weeny trail size I can see that their applicator brush is really good. The L'Oreal brush is a bit fat and could be better but the mascara goes on well, is quite a good black but not as much as the Blinc. I really like the white 'undercoat' option of this one, for the extra voom.

Bearing in mind that Blinc is about twice the price of the L'Oreal and my budget for these things isn't huge I reckon, like Choco, the L'Oreal is the one for me.

A question for you - I like a blusher to put a little rose in my cheeks, not so much for defining. Creamy ones always look nice straight away but don't last, I don't get along with stains and powder always goes cakey on me. Am I doing something wrong or is it that I just haven't found the right one yet?

I've heard a little face powder over cream blusher sets it so it stays
  • LilyAnna80LilyAnna80 Posts: 3,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is not a make up tip - but I have read where it is better to sleep on a silk pillow as opposed to a cotton one. Apparently your skin slips over silk a lot easier than cotton, which tends to grab at your skin, hence the silk pillow can help prevent wrinkles.,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 276
    Forum Member
    When I first read that I thought hmmm then again it does make sense
  • Madonna38Madonna38 Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone tried the dainty doll products? I've just ordered the powder foundation and a red lipstick (I wear red lipstick daily and the best one I have ever found was the £1 MUA one from superdrug, so I'm looking forward to trying this).
  • StudmuffinStudmuffin Posts: 4,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Madonna38 wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the dainty doll products? I've just ordered the powder foundation and a red lipstick (I wear red lipstick daily and the best one I have ever found was the £1 MUA one from superdrug, so I'm looking forward to trying this).

Is this the Nicola Roberts make up? If so I've always wanted to try it. My skin is very pale and "normal" foundations even the palest ones always look too dark and/or orange on my internet tanned skin.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Studmuffin wrote: »
    Is this the Nicola Roberts make up? If so I've always wanted to try it. My skin is very pale and "normal" foundations even the palest ones always look too dark and/or orange on my internet tanned skin.

Yes it is. When I've used it, I'll let you know if it's any good. I have the same problem too. I'm so pale.

BIB :D:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fieldfare wrote: »
    I'm sure I won't describe it right but here goes! It sort of makes a little cast around the lashes. No. That doesn't make a lot of sense, I'll see if I can find a link for you. I love it because it doesn't smudge, EVERY other mascara I have tried smudges or disappears before the end of the day. It comes off nice and easy too, with warm water and as I do hot cloth cleansing this suits me just fine.

I think the main reason some people don't get on with it is that when you wash it off all the little tubes come off sort of whole and kind of looks like all your lashes have come out! That doesn't happen, I promise!

I have L'Oreal Double Extend Beauty Tubes (red packaging, about £10)

Edit: Here you go, Sali Hughes talking about it, about 1/4 of the way in.

http://www.redonline.co.uk/red-women/red-chat/sali-hughes-live-red-chat

Abs - here is thread/ post about tubing mascara stuff.
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,158
    Forum Member
    LilyAnna80 wrote: »
    This is not a make up tip - but I have read where it is better to sleep on a silk pillow as opposed to a cotton one. Apparently your skin slips over silk a lot easier than cotton, which tends to grab at your skin, hence the silk pillow can help prevent wrinkles.,

It's good for your hair also. I always tie mine up in silk.
  • Miss PoppyMiss Poppy Posts: 1,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another Blinc fan here, I didn't realise there were so many of us! Tubing mascara is great cos it's the only sort that doesn't irritate my eyes!

Will try out the L'Oreal one, and I believe clinique curling mascara is a tubing one too!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well as I said earlier on in the thread i have tried the dainty doll make up and I wouldn't recommend it. So annoying, I really wanted to love it but the lipstick doesn't go on very pigmented so you have to layer it up and even then it comes off pretty quick. The powder foundation also doesn't go on very well at all.

One brand I would recommend though are MUA. I think I've said this before but their lipsticks are £1 and the best I've ever tried. I use the red ones and the nude (i don't like the shiny ones because I prefer matte) the lipliners are also brilliant as are the nail varnish and eye shadows. I would also recommend the conceal and highlight kit for £3.50.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LilyAnna80 wrote: »

I bought a Silkskin pillowcase from BeautyBay as I'd started getting temporary crease lines on my cheek when I wake up - but I'm still getting them:(

I'm not really seeing a difference between my expensive silk pillow and a cotton one, yet. It may work well for some people, but I thought I'd just add my cautionary tale!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Madonna38 wrote: »

Fragrance Direct recently sold off loads of Dainty Doll at £1.99 and £2.99 so I bought quite a few things (worth keeping an eye out for if you like DD), but wasn't impressed with anything.

It's a shame because her first line was great, I still have a few things from it, but I wouldn't recommend her mineral foundation very fiddly application method), lipsticks (very little colour, they feel more like tinted lipbalms that smell like lipstick), and the blushers are too pale for me - and I'm very pale! I bought Money Talks and it doesn't show up on my skin at all!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jerrica09 wrote: »
    Fragrance Direct recently sold off loads of Dainty Doll at £1.99 and £2.99 so I bought quite a few things (worth keeping an eye out for if you like DD), but wasn't impressed with anything.

It's a shame because her first line was great, I still have a few things from it, but I wouldn't recommend her mineral foundation very fiddly application method), lipsticks (very little colour, they feel more like tinted lipbalms that smell like lipstick), and the blushers are too pale for me - and I'm very pale! I bought Money Talks and it doesn't show up on my skin at all!

I did a post on my experiences with DD a few posts back. :) I agree with you though. Disliked both products that I tried. I won't be trying anything else from the range. The red lipstick that I got went on so bad. Not pigmented enough and it dried my lips out.

I'm thinking of trying some no7 lipsticks out. Has anyone tried them? Would you recommend?
  • lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,639
    Forum Member
    A make up barrow in the Metrocentre has Dainty Doll.