Top Gear

Comments

• goody66goody66 Posts: 1,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nicola_T wrote: »
    What laughable nonsense!
    Not at all. No need to be rude. It did not look like he was driving and commentating at the same time. I am entitled to my opinion
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even George Monbiot said this when having a go at Top Gear for their coverage of electric cars.
    Yes, this is an entertainment programme, yes it's larking about, and sometimes it's very funny. But none of this exempts it from the BBC's guidelines and the duty not to fake the facts.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/georgemonbiot/2011/aug/05/top-gear-bbc

I suspect there are more column inches about Top Gear in the Daily Mail compared to the Guardian, too.

I don't watch TG all that much, bit bored of their scripted larking about now and their various track races (Buses, MPV) are badly filmed IMO.
    Cut, cut, cut, close up shots I'd like to actually see some racing and relative track positions.

You'd be a bit silly to base your decision to buy or not buy an electric car based on a TG article.

It is an entertainment show, that can be quite fun (and would be a lot more fun if they could read a script without sounding like they are reading a script)
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    You'd be a bit silly to base your decision to buy or not buy an electric car based on a TG article.

It is an entertainment show, that can be quite fun (and would be a lot more fun if they could read a script without sounding like they are reading a script)

'The stupid are always with us'
    Well, as we all know some people aren't too bright and quote tabloid sourced nonsense as fact, because it fits their point of view.
    No doubt there are those who'll use TG's experience with the Tesla or Nissan Leaf as reasons why electric cars are cack.
    It'll stop being a piece of entertainment and become a fact, because it suits.

Hey ho TG's too much 'entertainment' for me, feels too scripted/manufactured.
    I'm not one for Supercars on the whole, highly strung toys that break a lot IMO.

Going OT, I've just tried to remember Ferrari's product line, 458 comes to mind, but that's just a number, I probably wouldn't recognise one vs another model.
  • nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    So you want a motoring programme to have one presenter who does not drive?

Now you've got it. ;)

The whole idea, is to have someone looking at the vehicle in question purely from the POV of a passenger. Often a lot different than the driver, but also a valuable POV for any manufacturer. More importantly for us, the viewers, it would be great fun.
  • mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    Even George Monbiot said this when having a go at Top Gear for their coverage of electric cars.
    Yes, this is an entertainment programme, yes it's larking about, and sometimes it's very funny. But none of this exempts it from the BBC's guidelines and the duty not to fake the facts.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/georgemonbiot/2011/aug/05/top-gear-bbc

I suspect there are more column inches about Top Gear in the Daily Mail compared to the Guardian, too.

I don't watch TG all that much, bit bored of their scripted larking about now and their various track races (Buses, MPV) are badly filmed IMO.
    Cut, cut, cut, close up shots I'd like to actually see some racing and relative track positions.

Of course, for all the protests about the show, it did lead the council to actually provide more charge points - it was a force for good.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now you've got it. ;)

The whole idea, is to have someone looking at the vehicle in question purely from the POV of a passenger. Often a lot different than the driver, but also a valuable POV for any manufacturer.
    Passengers don't tend to buy the cars though, and they rarely have much relevant input into any purchase.
    More importantly for us, the viewers, it would be great fun.
    As a viewer, I would find it tedious.
    Forum Member
    What the hell are they going to say, really, what?

Do you have no imagination whatsoever?

How comfy is the ride?
    Is the driver any good?
    Is there enough to do while being driven?
    Plus 101 other questions from the passenger POV.

It's the one area that, mum's excepted, the show consistently ignores. Yet, it could be argued that at least three quarters of the cars they show have room for 4 peeps. So passenger POV is 3-1. ;)
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Passengers don't tend to buy the cars though, and they rarely have much relevant input into any purchase.

But they do have a lot of input after purchase, ranting on at the buyer/ driver for not considering this or that feature. A few girlfriend/ wife/ children wise tips could, IMHO, do nothing but help sales and satisfaction with the product.
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    As a viewer, I would find it tedious.

What, even if the passenger turned out to be someone who consistently told Clarkeson that the tyres would fit in his gob, or joked about the Hamster seeing over the steering wheel, or told Captain Slow to speed up before they died of old age. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How comfy is the ride?
    probably the same as that of the driver
    Is the driver any good?
    It's the car being reviewed, not the driver (and no-one would be able to "buy" the TG driver as an optional accessory anyway)
    What's that got to do with the car? The passenger reads a book, listens to the radio or watches a film or something on a tablet,.

Although many times I have heard the presenters remarking upon the DVD player, speakers in the rear, separate heat settings for the passengers, fold-out trays in the rear, legroom in the rear, seating arrangements in MPVs etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But they do have a lot of input after purchase, ranting on at the buyer/ driver for not considering this or that feature. A few girlfriend/ wife/ children wise tips could, IMHO, do nothing but help sales and satisfaction with the product.
    TG is a car entertainment programme, not a marital harmony programme. And if the buyer of a car does not feel that his/her spouse's thoughts should be relevant to the purchase, and gets grief afterwards, that's his/her problem to deal with, not Top Gear's.
  • Ten_BenTen_Ben Posts: 2,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How comfy is the ride?
    Is the driver any good?

It's the one area that, mum's excepted, the show consistently ignores. Yet, it could be argued that at least three quarters of the cars they show have room for 4 peeps. So passenger POV is 3-1. ;)

Oh no, how dull. Ignored for a reason. We'd be back to "Driven" and their tedious tests to mark every car out of 100 :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member

How comfy is the ride?
    Is the driver any good?

I know you're finding your little joke/gee up amusing, but I'd be surprised if anyone else finds it amusing.

Hey ho I won't be watching tonight, something on BBC4 interests me.
  • bgtensionbgtension Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know you're finding your little joke/gee up amusing, but I'd be surprised if anyone else finds it amusing.

Hey ho I won't be watching tonight, something on BBC4 interests me.

I do but I've no idea what you're all banging on about TBH. anyway 48 mins to go:D
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Oh that Aston Martin is sex on wheels
  • AbMan51AbMan51 Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    Noticed it started well before the advertised time of 20:00. Just saying...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    Lovely lady behind Richard Hammond :)
  • spaniel-loverspaniel-lover Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see the point in cars that do 150 or 200 or whatever mph, when the speed limit is 70 mph.
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Dave_King wrote: »

There's actually some half decent male totty in the audience as well for once :D
  • kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dave_King wrote: »

She was fine :) almost as nice as the Aston :p
  • blitzben85blitzben85 Posts: 3,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That sat nav lady was lovely :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Say nav was awesome and that road ha great idea
  • juswotmawatchinjuswotmawatchin Posts: 5,252
    Forum Member
    just when I was Missing

" Last of the Sumer Wine "

its revamped .and back on sunday nights.

ta.
  • blitzben85blitzben85 Posts: 3,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Back on the phone to the sat nav lady, "I'm been attacked by fighter planes !!!" :D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lol using the score from inception and the avengers there :)
  • juswotmawatchinjuswotmawatchin Posts: 5,252
    Forum Member
    ha hah haah

Clarkson looking at the mirror image of what he "thinks" he looks like ....LOL

(mick Fleetwood)

Mick Fleetwood, what Hammond and Clarkson merged would be.
This discussion has been closed.