✭✭✭
Viola Davis.

What does she have to do!?

Who are you choices?

Comments

• Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree about Viola Davis, but the first two names that sprung to mind when I read the thread title were Amy Adams and Michelle Williams.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amy Adams
    Michelle Williams
    Johnny Depp
    Julianne Moore

I strongly believe Amy adams may have her time in the next few years. If she deserved it for any film, it should of been for Junebug.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Johnny Depp would get it if he stopped arsing about with cartoonish character who have very little depth.
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    Gary Oldman
    Ed Harris
  • RevengaRevenga Posts: 11,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tentatively agree with Amy Adams. Depp is a fantastic actor, but hasn't done anything remotely Oscar-worthy in years. Frankly, I don't even understand the nomination for Sweeney Todd.

I find questions like these really difficult. It's these that lead to actors winning for roles that perhaps they shouldn't, but are given for their entire body of work. So is then the answer simply the actors you feel should have won in a particular year? If they haven't won an Oscar, why haven't they won an Oscar?

But it is interesting.
  • marjanglesmarjangles Posts: 9,666
    Forum Member
    downtonfan wrote: »
    Johnny Depp would get it if he stopped arsing about with cartoonish character who have very little depth.

I'd argue that 2 of his three nominations have been for cartoonish characters with little depth. Given that he's good at that and the Academy has recognised he's good at that why would he stop doing it?
  • PANNAL1PANNAL1 Posts: 8,905
    Forum Member
    Julianne Moore- over looked twice in recent years for A Single Man and The Kids Are All Right
    Michelle Williams though i suspect she will win eventually , possibly along the lines of Kate Winslet who win at the 6th attempt
    Ed Harris
    Amy Adams
    Glenn Close
    Michelle Pfieffer
    Sigourney Weaver
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PANNAL1 wrote: »
    Glenn Close

I knew I'd forgotten someone!
  • yaristamanyaristaman Posts: 1,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom Cruise
    Liam Neeson
    Michael Keaton
    Gary Oldman
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Adam Sandler

The longest Yard
    Deeds
    Happy Gilmore

scandalously overlooked

(And Arnie, of course)
    (And Seagal for Under Siege)
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leonardo DiCaprio

Personally think he should have had at least a nomination in 2011 for Inception/Shutter Island.
  • RevengaRevenga Posts: 11,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dandem wrote: »
    Leonardo DiCaprio

Personally think he should have had at least a nomination in 2011 for Inception/Shutter Island.

I don't think he should've been nominated for either of those. I do think he should've been given a nod for Revolutionary Road.

He's one who I feel should be an Oscar winner but when I consider each individual performance, there are none I would give him the award for. Again, it's the body of work.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His performance in Django Unchained should have got him a nomination. His finest performance since The Aviator
  • LMLM Posts: 63,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Laura Linney
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Guy Pearce
    Mickey Rourke
    Emily Watson
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Toni Collette
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Johnny Depp, Leonardo DiCaprio, Julianne Moore, Michelle Williams, Glenn Close.
  • cliffy91cliffy91 Posts: 1,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DiCaprio's best film was the Departed I thought he was the best in it and should have atleast been nominated
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ralph Fiennes
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joaquin Phoenix
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,032
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PANNAL1 wrote: »
    Julianne Moore- over looked twice in recent years for A Single Man and The Kids Are All Right
    Michelle Williams though i suspect she will win eventually , possibly along the lines of Kate Winslet who win at the 6th attempt
    Ed Harris
    Amy Adams
    Glenn Close
    Michelle Pfieffer
    Sigourney Weaver

Good list!

I'm also sure that Amy or Michelle will win eventually.
  • PaleHorsePaleHorse Posts: 5,681
    Forum Member
    Alan Rickman
    Joaquin Phoenix
    Ralph Fiennes
    James Spader
    Michael Keaton
  • goldberry1goldberry1 Posts: 2,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joaquin Phoenix - Walk the Line
    Jake Gyllenhaal - for Donnie Darko, Brokeback Mountain and Zodiac in particular.
  • rachymacrachymac Posts: 1,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dandem wrote: »
    Leonardo DiCaprio

I completely agree. I also think that he should have got a nomination this year in the Supporting Actor category for Django Unchained, but unfortunately it's a really tight category this year - all 5 of the nominees have won Oscars in the past.

Personally, I think he should have won the Best Supportimg Actor for What's Eating Gilbert Grape.
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Juliet Binoche

I would like to see a long term award given to Martin Balsam (he played Arbogast the detective in Psycho, and the jury foreman in 12 Angry Men).
    Another favourite of mine is Jason Robards.

Come to think of it, I also would give Claudia Cardinale whatever she wants..