Forums on your mobile: a call for testers!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 253
Forum Member
We've now developed a new mobile friendly version of the Digital Spy forums, building on feedback from our previous effort.

You can access the mobile skin by selecting 'Mobile Forums' from the drop down menu on the purple bar towards the bottom of the page or by clicking here.

We'd like to invite your feedback on the skin, please feel free to post this below.

[highlight]Android users:[/highlight] We have tried a new fix to see if the jumping issue has stopped. Please do let us know in this thread if you are still having issues.

Comments

• cookieboothcookiebooth Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    The 2012 mobile version of the DS forums looks so much better in comparison to the older version! Great work! :)
  • MordirithMordirith Posts: 646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blackberry Curve 9360. Forum works fine and the skin looks good. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really like it although would be good to have unread threads to be bold and a button to go to last page.
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i like it but i prefer to view when the time of the last poster posted from the thread list in which ever forum you are in
  • BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks much better and works well on my HTC wildfire, Android. I can clearly see links now which is nice as before I was just guessing that people had added one. I would still like to be able to 'spoiler' tag my posts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Froggy88 wrote: »
    Really like it although would be good to have unread threads to be bold and a button to go to last page.

Yes this aswell. Unread threads to be in bold like before. It helped with knowing if threads had been reposted in rather than having to click on them to find out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Annnd... An option to take you to the last post read in a thread, like before.
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very nice work, a great improvement looks wise on the previous skin. In particular the way you can navigate between pages in lists and threads compared to the small numbers and arrows you had to click with the current mobile skin.

But there are two major omissions (showstoppers?):

a) bolding of threads with unread posts and the accompanying arrow to go to the first unread post in a thread, saves time and data.
    b) in the list of forums (and sub-forums), the time and date of the last post is missing, I found it useful to see when the last post was made in a forum when browsing around. A compromise (or extra additional feature) could be to bold forums with unread threads since my last visit (as happens with the current desktop and mobile skins).
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Froggy88 wrote: »

It looks better, but it's missing these 2 important features compared to the previous mobile view.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We're currently in the process of developing a new mobile friendly version of the Digital Spy forums, building on feedback from our previous effort.

You can access the mobile skin by selecting 'Mobile Forums 2012' from the drop down menu on the purple bar towards the bottom of the page or by clicking here.

As we're getting close to a general release, we'd like to invite your feedback on the skin. Feel free to post this below.

As this isn't a general release yet, it would be nice if you told is how to get back to the previous mobile view!
  • workhorseworkhorse Posts: 2,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would like a time put on posts from yesterday.also an option to go to last page on a tread.also a top and bottom of page button.
  • cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks much better and works well on my HTC wildfire, Android. I can clearly see links now which is nice as before I was just guessing that people had added one. I would still like to be able to 'spoiler' tag my posts.

Well my Wildfire doesn't seem to like it, it's crashed on the 1st page!:o
  • SupportSupport Posts: 70,486
    Administrator
    As this isn't a general release yet, it would be nice if you told is how to get back to the previous mobile view!

There's a 'Change to desktop version' button at the bottom of every page.
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,929
    Forum Member
    Works great on the iPhone!!
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,929
    Forum Member
    Mandark wrote: »
    Works great on the iPhone!!
    Works well on Android 4.1 as well! Agree with others about the extra features required.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a 'Change to desktop version' button at the bottom of every page.

OK, now I have the Desktop view, which is worse than either the old or new mobile view. It has large adverts that use my data allowance, and I have to keep zooming and scrolling to make the font large enough to read.

I'd like the old mobile view back, the one I had before I tested the un-released new mobile version.

Please?
  • SupportSupport Posts: 70,486
    Administrator
    OK, now I have the Desktop view, which is worse than either the old or new mobile view. It has large adverts that use my data allowance, and I have to keep zooming and scrolling to make the font large enough to read.

I'd like the old mobile view back, the one I had before I tested the un-released new mobile version.

Please?

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/index.php?styleid=51 Sorry, thought you had asked how to get back to the desktop site. This should take you to the old mobile skin.
  • LykkieLiLykkieLi Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    Unhealthy! :eek:
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    (nexus 7 - not sure if target audience or not, though do use current mobile skin. Will try with phone later)

no way of jumping from list of subscribed threads to first new post - always takes you to first post of the thread. (unlike current skin which has a little purple arrow that jumps you to the right page/post)

No bolding, as previously mentioned.

List of subforums WAY too spaced out versus the old mobile skin.

No access to the news articles on DS. (current skin has a navigation menu that lets you read articles too)

Good to see the tiny page number navigation disappear, but that's the only pro I see so far.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Not bad but, wouldn't it just be easier to add the tapatalk plugin to the forum? Takes 5 mins to do!
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Not bad but, wouldn't it just be easier to add the tapatalk plugin to the forum? Takes 5 mins to do!
    What's in it for Digital Spy to restrict mobile forum viewing behind a paywall, when a) it encourages access to competitors and b) may not allow ads to show through the UI? Should also note, tapatalk is a pay app.

Digital Spy's new skin, with the suggestions I made above, should do the job more than adequatelyvfor the majority of users. Fair enough if DS wishes to add tapatalk support in addition, but not as a replacement for the mobile skin.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/index.php?styleid=51 Sorry, thought you had asked how to get back to the desktop site. This should take you to the old mobile skin.

Thank you!
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    What's in it for Digital Spy to restrict mobile forum viewing behind a paywall, when a) it encourages access to competitors and b) may not allow ads to show through the UI? Should also note, tapatalk is a pay app.

Digital Spy's new skin, with the suggestions I made above, should do the job more than adequatelyvfor the majority of users. Fair enough if DS wishes to add tapatalk support in addition, but not as a replacement for the mobile skin.

Yes it is but, many people already have it for other forums. DS can also make an app using the tapatalk api or whatever it is and make a free one supported by ads and a paid one free of ads. Plenty of revenue for DS. The plugin is also free as i use it on my forum.
  • soransoran Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Skin looks good but only works on the page displaying the list of forums. Once you go into a forum I still get the same old nasty looking old one. Selecting desktop site also has never made any difference. Phone is Galaxy Nexus running jellybean.
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks good on my 'droid.
This discussion has been closed.