iPhone 4S on Vodafone - strange audio issue

technology_lovetechnology_love Posts: 3,177
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi all

Not sure anyone can help me but I have an annoying problem with my iPhone 4s.

I can reproduce the issue about 75% of the time.

When I make a call, the audio is terrible - pretty much like having half a bar of signal but even worse (I have full signal). It sounds like you are next to the sea and the audio is VERY stuttered/jerky.

It normally settles down after about 10 seconds - by which time the other side has hung up in frustration.

I still have a year on contract to go so this is not ideal.
I took the phone to the Apple store and they ran some diagnostics. they found no problems but kindly gave me a replacement. The problem seemed to stop but has now come back again :cry:

Does anyone know the issue I have poorly described and have any suggestions?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I get that on my work 4S on Vodafone. I don't have a solution. Not sure of the reason but I just hang up and try again and it's fine.

Annoying though.

I never experienced it on Three when I had a 4S on that network.
  • acoolwelshblokeacoolwelshbloke Posts: 3,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a 4S, supplied by CPW on an O2 pay monthly tariff. Since been unlocked and now use it on the Three network and audio has always been crystal.

Probably a Vodafone issues, they are not the best, me saying that does not help you though.
  • bigpete15bigpete15 Posts: 250
    Forum Member
    Is this only noticed at a certain time of day or in one location?
    It's possible the network is using half rate voice codec due to capacity issues and half rate sounds terrible!
  • technology_lovetechnology_love Posts: 3,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies.
    I'm now convinced that its the Vodafone network given Apple replaced the phone with a new one.

I haven't noticed a particular time when it happens - just sometimes - although more frequently now.

Not sure if its worth calling Vodafone directly? What if anything would/could they do?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As the original was replaced both with same faults i would say it's the network, only way to find out is to get it unlocked and pop a pay go Sim in it from a different network but i'm guessing Vodafone charge for that too.
  • daclickdaclick Posts: 3,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vodafone don't charge for unlocks if the phones on pay monthly
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will be Vodafone, they are known for cutting down the audio codec quality to very low levels when the site has capacity issues and they are certainly struggling in some cities.

As you say you've had the phone replaced so you know it's not the phone. Vodafone and O2 both have poor voice quality in certain areas where capacity is low. I don't think either network supports HD voice either, which has been out for years.
  • technology_lovetechnology_love Posts: 3,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the further info, you learn new stuff every day!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair to O2 i was with them for 3 years and they were great, no issues at all and great CS too.

I did have my phone set to 2G only though when i was with O2 as 3G coverage was poor but never had any voice quality issues with O2 in Wales.