Games that the world loves ... but you just can't get on with!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,274
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Does anybody else have certain games that are universally loved and critically acclaimed, but they just don't like?

I've got three personal examples, which everybody else loves, so please don't respond with explanations of how great they are. I know 99.999999% of the gaming population loves them. I personally ... do not

1) Minecraft : I got the XBLA version as soon as it was out. Didn't even trial it. I was that sure I was going to love it and be as enthused as everyone else. Nope. Have tried several times to force myself to get into it ... and I can't. I couldn't give less of a monkeys of building a house before nightfall and mining hard to find elements. I just can't be bothered, and as for those elaborate dwellings and cities that people build ... how do they find the time or sheer will-power to do that. Not for me I'm afraid...

2) Little Big Planet: I personally cannot understand the massive love for this game. Build your own platform game? Yeah, right! And Sackboy's an annoying little git as well...

3) Max Payne 3: Now I loved, and still love "Stranglehold", the John Woo inspired gunplay game, which was partly inspired by Max Payne, so why do I hate this? It just seemed old, pretentious, and not particularly fun to play. Rockstar's only disappointing game for me, but all reviewers loved it ...

I do like a lot of the populist games like Assassins Creed III, Halo 4, COD, etc... but those 3 games I just don't

Has anybody out there got some real burning dislike for other games that everybody else loves?

Comments

• LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Assassins creed. I've played them up to brotherhood and love stealth games like splinter cell hitman, dishonoured etc but can't figure it out. I don't get on with halo although I have recently played a few games online of halo 3 and it was quite fu
  • sheep88sheep88 Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Infamous found it really boring don't really get the point.
    COD just not interested in playing them.
  • trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    COD. To be fair I'm not very good at it.

I liked FF8 better than 7, too. :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mostly Final Fantasy games, it seems no matter what they get high reviews

FFVIII
    FFX-2
    FFXII
    being the main examples of final fantasy games that i hate but get amazing reviews

The halo series (not including the amazing halo 2 which is one of the best FPS games of all time)

Gears of War series

Not strictly a game but online, i've never cared and never will care about a game that puts online before singleplayer
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Final Fantasy 7, Zelda (Wii) and Grand Theft Auto 4 are games that I've bought, played once, and never gone back to.
  • trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    Mostly Final Fantasy games, it seems no matter what they get high reviews

FFVIII
    FFX-2
    FFXII
    being the main examples of final fantasy games that i hate but get amazing reviews

The halo series (not including the amazing halo 2 which is one of the best FPS games of all time)

Gears of War series

Not strictly a game but online, i've never cared and never will care about a game that puts online before singleplayer

X-2 was an easy game and rather crap in most areas, didn't like XII either. 7-8-9 were the series' peak.
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grand Theft Auto.

I accept they are good games but I have never even got past about 25% completion in the games. I hate the mission structure and the gameplay of the missions.
  • DSWNSMDSWNSM Posts: 1,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like OP Minecraft is one of the games i just can't love, it's awful and boring as hell. Call Of Duty is another one, i don't care what anyone says but in my opinion the only reason this game is so popular is because it's a game for casual gamers. You will always find casual gamers going for Call Of Duty. Mario............the most repetitive and over rated games of all time, same story same thing :yawn:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh god where do I start

Call of Duty (boring and generic and stifles actual innovative shooters such as Binary Domain etc).

Halo

Fallout (just boring tbh)

Street Fighter
  • MsLurkerMsLurker Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mass Effect
    Skyrim
    Fifa
    Forza'(or any racing game of that type)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to add

Goldeneye N64 - they added a line down the screen as well and one across and people think that its amazing and revolutionary

Ocarina of time - its just so god damn average there is nothing in there that makes me think its great, hell i couldn't even finish it on 3ds
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Final Fantasy games. Everyone says FF7 is by far the best. I didn't like it at all. On the other side of this I loved FFX which a lot of people didn't.

I'd grown up playing the Snes ones and FFX felt to me like playing a retro one but with the modern graphics. I miss the turn based RPG, I started FFXIII and got to about chapter 10 and just stopped playing it.
  • kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really just Call Of Duty and Assassins Creed, can't be bothered with either
  • HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Max Payne 3.
    Borderlands 2.
    GTA 4
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Minecraft - cannot see the point
  • blitzben85blitzben85 Posts: 3,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Final Fantasy - played it and never interested me, fail to see the hype it gets.

Fifa - Poor game, only good thing is all the licences it has, too much like an arcade game for my liking.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oblivion, skyrim, fallout 3 etc
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Metal Gear Solid (the latest one)
    Mass Effect
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Resident Evil 4.
    Final Fantasy XII.
  • LilaethLilaeth Posts: 750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most FPS games - they give me migraines.
  • SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Halo
    I buy them all when they are cheap or have a special limited edition on a great offer, but they are nowhere near as good as people say they are. They are an ok fps, but nothing more. Reviewers always rave about how amazing they are, ign even gave the new one 9.8. But they're nothing special.
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Wulfster wrote: »
    Sackboy's an annoying little git..

Totally agree on that point! Worst. Mascot. Ever..

Also agree that Max Payne 3 was nothing particularly special, it was good, the gameplay was solid but lacked new ideas and any form of variation aside from environmental changes. Don't understand the fuss some people make over it, similar to Uncharted in that respect, though I do appreciate it a little more than the rampant and insincere hype for that particular series.

As for games I don't get along with:

Fallout 3/NV - Trust me I've tried and I'll probably try again but I just found the whole experience so incredibly boring.

Final Fantasy (series) - All except FFVIII has been complete and utter dirge of the highest order.

God of War (series) - Repetitive button masher with lame combat QTE-fest and fancy visuals. A typical modern day gamer's game, all bark and no bite.

Heavy Rain - Cancer to gaming as an artform. David Lynch fark off back to Hollywood please.

Assassins Creed (series) - It's just not fun no matter which way I look at it, so dull.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totally agree on that point! Worst. Mascot. Ever..

Also agree that Max Payne 3 was nothing particularly special, it was good, the gameplay was solid but lacked new ideas and any form of variation aside from environmental changes. Don't understand the fuss some people make over it, similar to Uncharted in that respect, though I do appreciate it a little more than the rampant and insincere hype for that particular series.

As for games I don't get along with:

Fallout 3/NV - Trust me I've tried and I'll probably try again but I just found the whole experience so incredibly boring.

Final Fantasy (series) - All except FFVIII has been complete and utter dirge of the highest order.

God of War (series) - Repetitive button masher with lame combat QTE-fest and fancy visuals. A typical modern day gamer's game, all bark and no bite.

Heavy Rain - Cancer to gaming as an artform. David Lynch fark off back to Hollywood please.

Assassins Creed (series) - It's just not fun no matter which way I look at it, so dull.

Me and a mate just lol'd at that
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What a load of rubbish, your post, not the game.
  • 0lly0lly Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    Call of Duty (and almost every other FPS series)
    Gran Turismo
    FIFA
    GTA: San Andreas
    GTA: IV
    Heavy Rain
    Little Big Planet
    Minecraft
    Assassins Creed
    God of War

Probably lots more too but I wont go on :p