Problems copying Blu-ray disk

I have copied a non-copyright protected blu-ray (my wedding) using a Samsung Blu-ray external drive (SE-506AB External USB 2.0 Slimline 6x Blue-ray Writer) and Nero 11 Platinum software.

It copies fine and plays on the computer fine but when I play it in both my Panasonic blu-ray players (SC-BT230EB-K and BDT110) for some reason it doesn't skip to chapters.

The chapters are there on the chapters menu and you can go straight to any specific chapter, but when you play it and you press skip to go to the next chapter it just says the feature isn't present or words to that effect.

Somebody suggested it was the disks I was using (TDK I think) so I bought Panasonic BD-R's (LM-BRS2MWE10 25GB Write-Once Blu-Ray Disc) and am having the same problem.

I updated the firmware of the Panasonic players and my updates are up to date in Nero.

I have contacted Panasonic and Nero but I'm not expecting much help from them.

Can anyone help me with this?

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The make of disk is largely irrelevant. As long as the data is recorded onto them identically and can be read accurately then it should make no difference who made the disk. And if the data cannot be recorded or read correctly being unable to skip to chapters would be the least of your problems :)

Same sort thing applies to the burner.

I would be more tempted to look to Nero for the answer. I suspect there is some setting buried deep in it's nether regions that is disabling the skip feature. Not used Nero in ages so can't suggest where to start looking.
  • cp2cp2 Posts: 944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would suggest that you try a different approach.
    You should be able to create an iso image of your disc with Imgburn and then burn the image onto a new disc.
    If this works then the probable culprit is Nero which I suspect is doing something other than copying.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    I've already got a disk image stored (using Nero...) so I'll try and burn that image tonight to see if that helps.

Any free programs you can suggest for burning the image to save me using Nero to burn it?

I'll also try updating the firmware on the Blu-ray writer to see if that helps.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Imgburn is free.
    I would suggest that rather than using Nero's iso image you should start again with Imgburn. I appreciate that there shouldn't be any difference but we're talking Nero.
    Forum Member
    Cheers cp2, tried making an image with Imgburn and burning it with Imgburn as well. No joy!!

I've also just done a clean install of Windows 8 so Nero was nowhere to be seen!!

Still didn't work.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To clarify something...
    Does the "original" disc skip chapters correctly on a bluray player?
    Creating a copy using an iso image should create a copy that performs the same as the original.
    Forum Member
    Yes it does skip correctly in the original.

I'm the same thinking as you, it should work fine if you use an image, which it does when I run it on my laptop. It's when I try and play it on a Panasonic blu-ray players (tried 3 different ones) that things go wierd!!

Going to try it on a non-Panasonic blu-ray if I can find somebody who has one.
    Forum Member
    Tried various copies of the blu-ray on an LG player last night and all was well. Chapters skipped fine.

Which confirms this is a Panasonic issue with copied disks.

Anyone got any ideas of setting to change on a Panasonic player to fix this?