The Sun cancels Shadows comic strip

Wayne814Wayne814 Posts: 1,722
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Don't know if anyone read this strip in the Sun but it was announced on the strips facebook page that it is ending tomorrow as the Sun wants the return of a former strip instead.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not "Striker" surely?!
    Wasn't there another CGI strip before this one?
    Can't remember what it was...

Doubt if "Shadows" will be missed. Shambolic and boring in my humble opinion.
    I wouldn't buy the paper for weeks, then catch a glimpse and the same action sequence in the story would still be going on!

Is there still a place for these things anyway?
  • Wayne814Wayne814 Posts: 1,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It hasn't been announced officially yet but it is Striker returning from Monday.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wayne814 wrote: »
    It hasn't been announced officially yet but it is Striker returning from Monday.

:eek::eek::eek:

Well, my mate will be pleased.
    He used to collect the "Striker" comic when it left the Sun.

Never been a real fan myself.

Must be a good story behind the shenanigans...
  • BigDaveXBigDaveX Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wulfster wrote: »
    Not "Striker" surely?!
    Wasn't there another CGI strip before this one?
    Can't remember what it was...

There was a couple of months between Striker and Shadows where The Sun just printed viral photographs, presumably because they thought they were being clever and saving money.

What you may be thinking of is The Premier, which ran in The Sun between 2003 and 2005 when Striker was its own magazine, and was basically an attempt to distil Footballers' Wives into comic form (until near the end, where they just took to ripping off Striker directly).
  • SteelEdgeSteelEdge Posts: 6,903
    Forum Member
    Wayne814 wrote: »

Get in! I loved Striker! :D
  • LurkalotLurkalot Posts: 1,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Striker is back Monday, excellent news.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the first couple of weeks of the strip will apparently just be flashbacks and story so far before the story starts later this month.
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    Personally, this should've been done last August or they should've waited until this August - that way, Shadows would be at the end of a story arc (they're a year long and new ones started in August) and it would be the start of the footy season. Even with flashbacks, we'll be joining Striker in medias res. It should've restarted just before the start of a season, not half way through.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There has been rumours of Striker returning in some form since before the season started, a newspaper strip, animated series, books had all been mentioned.

The strikerworld forum

http://w11.zetaboards.com/StrikerWorld/index/

There is some news getting posted on there
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    According to a post on there, the reason for the flashbacks is simply that Pete was caught short and wasn't ready. I see no reason why Shadows couldn't have been given another couple of weeks. Would've been better for all concerned.
  • DanielWhitDanielWhit Posts: 2,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JAS84 wrote: »
    Personally, this should've been done last August or they should've waited until this August - that way, Shadows would be at the end of a story arc (they're a year long and new ones started in August) and it would be the start of the footy season. Even with flashbacks, we'll be joining Striker in medias res. It should've restarted just before the start of a season, not half way through.

Possibly not - remember at the end of the last bout of Striker in The Sun the club had effectively ceased to exist and the stadium was being closed up. It's possible the next few months will be about resurrecting everything before joining the football season again in the autumn.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DanielWhit wrote: »
    Possibly not - remember at the end of the last bout of Striker in The Sun the club had effectively ceased to exist and the stadium was being closed up. It's possible the next few months will be about resurrecting everything before joining the football season again in the autumn.

The club did resurrect though in the pages of Nuts, which continued the story from where it ended in the Sun.