Europa Report blu ray

Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
Forum Member
✭✭
Watched this last night on R1 blu ray, don't think it got a release on the cinema in the UK...at least not yet anyway.

It's a cracking little slice of sci-fi, filmed in a found-footage style concerning a manned mission to Jupiter's moon Europa, to look for the possibility of the existence of life.

Don't be put off by the found footage aspect of it if that is not your bag, because the film is set on a spacecraft where cameras are everywhere to record and relay images back to earth, so obviously everything is captured on camera anyway, therefore the style of the camerawork seems natural and never gimmicky.

What I particularly liked about this is it does not go for cheap scares and silly monsters...when 'things' start to happen they are subtle and almost imperceptible, but yet disturbing.

It's very well acted too, and the performances add to the sense of claustrophobia and danger aboard the ship. There is an incredibly tense spacewalk sequence, and the notion of the discovery of 'life' on the moon is very well done, with everything revealed gradually and without the need to resort to silly CGI monsters.

It's very subtly handled, very tense and it's a surprisingly good little movie. It's not horror per se, but it has it's moments.

Comments

• ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought I was the only person who'd seen it. It's very good but seems to have slipped under the radar for some reason: probably the lack of drippy teen vampires or giant robots.
  • balthasarbalthasar Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would say this film is really worth a watch, and as above the footage is not found or shaky.