GPS & Email question for Sony Ericsson W995

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
Forum Member
Hi

I have just purchased a Sony Ericsson W995 phone from ebay. I got this phone because a friend has it & it has a great camera & great reviews, plus i don't like touch screen or qwerty keyboards on blackberrys.

Just a couple of techy questions i have!

The phone is brand new & unlocked. In location services on the phone, it has a Wayfinder Navigator, which i hoped would work but it seems not to! It says there is no internet connection, to find network coverage & try again, but there is working internet & the Google maps app works ok as this finds GPS.

Also, i can't seem to send emails! I've set up the account that my pc has & entered pop & smtp. It downloads my inbox but can't send!

Any help appreciated thanks.

wf

Comments

• flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    waterface wrote: »
    Hi

I have just purchased a Sony Ericsson W995 phone from ebay. I got this phone because a friend has it & it has a great camera & great reviews, plus i don't like touch screen or qwerty keyboards on blackberrys.

Just a couple of techy questions i have!

The phone is brand new & unlocked. In location services on the phone, it has a Wayfinder Navigator, which i hoped would work but it seems not to! It says there is no internet connection, to find network coverage & try again, but there is working internet & the Google maps app works ok as this finds GPS.

Also, i can't seem to send emails! I've set up the account that my pc has & entered pop & smtp. It downloads my inbox but can't send!

Any help appreciated thanks.

wf
    email first:

who is your mail provider? if it is your ISP they may only allow sending of mail over their smtp servers from connections coming from their network. tiscali and their family are complete shit bags for this. because their spf record also stops you using any other smtp server.

there may be an smtp server your mobile network work provider have available.

the gps. it seems like the internet settings for the assisted gps may not be turned on.

first of all check gps is enabled
    Menu > Location services > Settings. enabled.

if you ran the settings wizard on first run then then look in the gps settings for an access point for the assisted gps.
    if you didn;t then run it now Menu > Settings > User help - Settings download > Continue
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Hi & thanks

My internet/email is with Orange & my pop & smtp are:-

.orangehome.co.uk.

Yes, the gps is enabled! When the phone arrived, it was ready to use. I have tried to update software, but don't seem to be able!
    Vodafone, who i have my phone contract with, say its because Sony Ericsson no longer exist!

I did the 'download settings' & it said successfully downloaded settings for MMS & Browser! & it seems to have done something to Navigator as its now talking to me saying (voice sound) GPS available, then not available, then i tried again & got the same 'No internet....' message! I'm guessing its done something, just need clear sky!

Are things still available for this phone like, software updates etc seeing as SE seem not to be together no more!
    Forum Member
    Seem to be getting the 'No internet connection, please make sure you have network coverage & a working internet connection & try again'.

then if i leave the app open, occasionally it says (in the girls voice), GPS available & then not available! This has not happened before so the update must've done somet!

The only option i have though is 'back' , which closes the app..
    Forum Member
    The phone will still work if that's what you mean.

Internet and GPS are not the same. Vodafone are just lying. They do that some times to get you off the phone.

The GPS and internet are not the same. The GPS does use a tiny bit of internet to assist it and I think you might have a problem with that setting. I think.

The orange SMTP server is I believe blocked as I suggested earlier. Have a Google, see if Vodafone have one you can use.
    Forum Member
    yeh the phone works ok, i just want the GPS to work.

Even though after i did the settings update, it just updated browser & MMS, will it have done the same with GPS?

I guess i'll have to wait for good weather to test!

It just gives me the same message i posted in last post + the occasional 'GPS is enabled' but theponly option i have is to go back, the actual programme don't start!
    Forum Member
    You don't need clear skies to use GPS. Most of the time it will work indoors.

GPS is a passive activity. Like an FM radio. You just receive something. But without assistance GPS takes a while to get a lock. The assistance is done over the internet. My thinking is that either the positioning server is wrong, or the way the internet connectivity is set up, such as the access point to use is wrong.
    Forum Member
    ok, well all i get at the moment is the odd 'gps is available' & then 'gps is not available'

The app doesn't really start, i just get the message & my only option is 'back'!

Do you think the update did anything?

What shall i do next?
    Forum Member
    i don't know. sorry.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does Opera Mini or the normal web browser work ?

I'm sure there will be Java Openstreet type map apps about too.
    Forum Member
    Yes i installed Opera mini & that works ok & so does the default browser.

The settings update has top have done something as there's now a voice saying 'gps allowed' which wasn't there before?

anyone?
    Forum Member
    would the settings download have worked with the Navigator?

There is a voice now as i say & there wasn't before!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also see if it has a firmware update.

If a paid 'network feature' the GPS might be tuned off in software on purpose.
    Forum Member
    Hi

I can't seem to see anything on the phone that has 'firmware' included!

It says i have a specific software version, could that be it! I'm unsure as to where i can maybe update this software if there is a newer one?
    Forum Member
    Again, vodafone have said that its because Sony Ericsson no longer exist! But then my Google Maps works fine!
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, this is the problem you get if you purchase a phone that's 4 years old and made by a company that has undergone a major reorganisation (Sony and Ericsson are separate companies now). Even though the phone is new in box, you're won't get the same level of support as you would for an up to date model.

If you can't get anything useful from this page on Sony's website: http://www.sonymobile.com/gb/support/phones/w995/ then you might try phoning Sony.
    Forum Member
    The only thing this tells is how to turn on & off GPS.

How do i enable javascript too ?

lots of websites tell me the phone has in disabled!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its a phone not a smartphone.

I recall modding my old D something up to maybe a W800 so obviously you maybe just need to find a modded firmware.
    And that's assuming you actually have a W995.
    Forum Member
    what do you mean 'if i actually have a w995' ? its here in front of me!

I can't see anything in settings to do with firmware! Can you explain please! I just want the GPS to work,.