The Blurb - Gaming is back on British TV.

fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,862
Forum Member
✭✭
The Blurb from Ginx TV is returning to our screens on Monday 7th January at 11:00pm with a new presenter, Lizzie Huang.

It is on Challenge, so will be available on Freeview, Freesat, Sky and Virgin, with a repeat on Sunday morning at 10:00am.

Comments

• NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although it'll probably be rubbish, it's nice that some gaming will be on British tv.

Having said that though, Charlie Brooker has confirmed they'll be doing more gaming related stuff on the new series of 'Wipe which starts quite soon.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although it'll probably be rubbish, it's nice that some gaming will be on British tv.

It's safe to say I had some "issues" with the programme last time it was on, but happy to give it another go. Glad to see gaming back on TV and on a channel that pretty much everyone can get. It's a shame the Ginx TV channel never materialised.
    Having said that though, Charlie Brooker has confirmed they'll be doing more gaming related stuff on the new series of 'Wipe which starts quite soon.

I'm a big fan of Charlie so I'm looking forward to that.
  • mojobrewmojobrew Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Always surprises me that there are practically no video game television programmes. Surely with the number of people gaming these days they would get decent viewing figures on, perhaps, C4?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The ones we've had have been crap too, things like computer net I think it was called just played the FMV sequences from games. I don't want to see that, I want to see the actual game being played!!!

Proper reviews, proper previews, proper gameplay. That's what I'd like to see.
  • logansdadlogansdad Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mojobrew wrote: »
    The ones we've had have been crap too, things like computer net I think it was called just played the FMV sequences from games. I don't want to see that, I want to see the actual game being played!!!

To right mate..i sat through that computer net for 10 minutes wondering when the reveiwer would start talking!!

Bring back Dominic Diamond's Gamesmaster.

A proper budgeted Game review show with Brooker or Ian Lee or Dara O'brain would be awesome.
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mojobrew wrote: »

Disagree to an extent, there's very little more boring than watching other people play video games, but given there are now 30+ years of gaming to go back on there's more than enough mileage for a quality gaming show with reviews, previews, retrospective features, and maybe a weekly mini challenge or something..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You don't play the FMV, you play the game. I don't want to have to judge a game on how pretty its intro video is, I want to judge it on what the actual game - you know, the bit where the gamer is actually involved - looks and plays like.

Same applies to game ads on telly. "Not actual game footage", they say in tiny hidden writing at the bottom of the screen. Which, to anyone other than a non-gaming parent, screams THE GAME IS TOO SHIT FOR US TO ACTUALLY SHOW IT ON THIS ADVERT.
  • FunctionFunction Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Driving me nuts now, what was the games based programme that used to be on in the early hours on ITV?
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Function wrote: »
    Driving me nuts now, what was the games based programme that used to be on in the early hours on ITV?

Cybernet?
  • FunctionFunction Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cybernet?

Ahh I can rest now thanks for that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ahh Cybernet yes that's what I meant by computer net.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its good to finally see a gaming show back on TV. It seems crazy that with gaming and technology been so big and popular we see less coverage on TV these days than we did when it was just a niche market. We had quite a few gaming shows when I was a kid with Game Master, Cybernet, Bad Influence and we ever had a dedicated Computer and Technology channel for a few years (The Computer Channel which became [.TV] ).

I don't know if its still going but its a shame MTV never brought Game One to the UK market.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only gaming show on tv worth watching was gamesmaster, I remember one shown on skyone that was horrible.
  • beemohbeemoh Posts: 7,073
    Forum Member
    Hotbird wrote: »
    I don't know if its still going but its a shame MTV never brought Game One to the UK market.

It's still going, but it seems to be more anime than games, certainly in primetime: http://www.gameone.net/programmes/grilles/gameone/
  • logansdadlogansdad Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember reading an article saying that tv bosses where reluctant to give film review shows decent time slots because they think thats advertisng the competion and will lose ratings, so i imagine this is the same for gaming shows.
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Playr and Playr Guides which used to be on Bravo have been on the Showcase channels (Sky 191/192) for the last couple of years. They're still there with new episodes every week, although not shown quite as much as they used to be.

Cybernet continued to be produced until 2010 but was not shown in the UK during its final few years.
  • OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    Surprising pretty decent :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the first episode just finished and i'll be honest the snob in me was expecting this to be a train wreck like every other gaming show i've seen since i first got Sky and to my utter delight i could of been more the show is pretty fantastic and the presenters actually know what the they are talking about

I'm already looking forward to next weeks episode as they are going to show some Aliens
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What was that show on Sky One? Gamesworld was it? I used to love that show! :D
    Forum Member
    It's nice & up to date. I just hope that it won't end up getting 4 episodes & then repeating then endlessly. I've got it series linked anyway :)
  • Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    Forgot about this, is it repeated at all?
    Forum Member
    Rich_L wrote: »
    Forgot about this, is it repeated at all?

Sunday at 10am
  • Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    Thank you.
  • dazbdazb Posts: 3,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I too am amazed there isnt something like Gamesmaster on TV bring it back. When you think of all these cooking shows what are on.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Missed this last night so will try and catch it on Sunday morning.

The gaming show I thought had the most potential over the last 10years or so was the thing Friendly TV ran in the afternoons, with work that could have become a really good show as the concept of the show was pretty good.

As much as I enjoyed Gamemaster at the time that sort of format would be extremely dated now and would need a major overhaul to be relevant in todays gaming world which would lead to people complaining it wasn't as good as before. You certainly couldn't have the tips and cheats section any more what with the internet already have all the answers and more.