• darnall42darnall42 Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At Last - Official conformation ;)http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01pznzn
  • UrsulaUUrsulaU Posts: 7,239
    Forum Member
    darnall42 wrote: »
    At Last - Official conformation ;)http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01pznzn

!!Hurray!! :) - Now we just need to know if they will be running in sequence or minus DLT's episodes - which I hope they keep in!! :rolleyes:
  • ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UrsulaU wrote: »
    !!Hurray!! :) - Now we just need to know if they will be running in sequence or minus DLT's episodes - which I hope they keep in!! :rolleyes:

Indeed - and if episodes are being edited ... in which case, will the late night repeats air uncut? They better had! ;)
  • Tele_addictTele_addict Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also, bad news I'm afraid folks. Looks like the beeb will not be showing the DLT episodes till March at least. Digiguide have confirmed the 24th of January is a David Jenson episode. :(

http://digiguide.tv/programme-details/BBC+4/24+January+2013/19:30/Top+of+the+Pops/Music/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also, bad news I'm afraid folks. Looks like the beeb will not be showing the DLT episodes till March at least. Digiguide have confirmed the 24th of January is a David Jenson episode. :(

http://digiguide.tv/programme-details/BBC+4/24+January+2013/19:30/Top+of+the+Pops/Music/
    and it's sad that the next 2 DLT episodes due (19/1/78 and 23/2/78) did'nt have a UK Gold repeat airing so they wont be seen again :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Such a shame.We will miss Blondie's first appearance which must be one of the great turning points. It just so happens that the best episodes of january and february are DLT ones.
  • chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    Such a shame.We will miss Blondie's first appearance which must be one of the great turning points. It just so happens that the best episodes of january and february are DLT ones.

As another poster said earlier at least Kate Bush's first performance is in a Kid Jensen episode.
  • shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member
    I think there are only 6 Savile episodes in 1978.
  • merrim01merrim01 Posts: 2,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can deal with the Saville episodes not being shown but if they are still going to not show the DLT ones either they may aswell not bother. Also I wasn't aware there were lots of complaints when Glitter featured in a couple of episodes last year?
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frood wrote: »
    Fixed that for you.

And when we are finally put out of our misery we have a far better chart topper - Uptown Top Ranking.

Hey Frood, don't go getting too cocky! ;)

Uptown Top Ranking immediately gets pushed out the top the next week by the dreaded Figaro.:p At least only for a week before the completion of the second Abba hatrick.

Forgive me if this counts as a spoiler to a few of you.

DLT, there is no logic. Just show them! He was okay on TV the other night numerous times on the documentary. If he's charged, then maybe omit them. But even then it flies in the face of innocent until proven guilty. But the BBC is taking things to a new level here, guilty before even being charged or formally accused of a single solitary thing. Not good enough. Talk about going from one extreme to the other, considering the blind eyes on Savile in the past 40 odd years. Insofar as Glitter is concerned, it would be curious to know just how many complaints were registered in the BBC duty log on the times he was shown last year. Not too many I bet. Glitter shown and Travis blanked. Perverse moralising. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shanders wrote: »
    I think there are only 6 Savile episodes in 1978.
    Yeah savile presented 6 and DLT presented 8,so thats 14 episodes the beeb wont show :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah savile presented 6 and DLT presented 8,so thats 14 episodes the beeb wont show :(

I feel an email to the bbc is in order. I would think the beeb will show DLT after he has been bailed, and maybe they will also show the episodes that have been skipped in a late night slot, fingers crossed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

On the face of it 14 in a whole year does not sound a lot, but it is infact the best part of 3 and a half months worth, and I believe on top of this there are a couple of weeks with a no show due to strike action at the time? So 4 months, a third of 1978. :rolleyes:

Tele Addict, I think at the moment we should just be grateful we are seeing any 1978 at all, and accept the titbits being thrown our way, much as I particularly dislike the DLT omissions. But I doubt they will play the missed out ones retrospectively. I even think I could manage the Savile ones, despite the details of his "alleged" offences that have been published today, as "fact". I mean it is ironic that he is currently plastered all over the BBC news website!
  • kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    On the face of it 14 in a whole year does not sound a lot, but it is infact the best part of 3 and a half months worth, and I believe on top of this there are a couple of weeks with a no show due to strike action at the time? So 4 months, a third of 1978. :rolleyes:

Tele Addict, I think at the moment we should just be grateful we are seeing any 1978 at all, and accept the titbits being thrown our way, much as I particularly dislike the DLT omissions. But I doubt they will play the missed out ones retrospectively. I even think I could manage the Savile ones, despite the details of his "alleged" offences that have been published today, as "fact". I mean it is ironic that he is currently plastered all over the BBC news website!

3 and half months spread over the entire year isn't so terrible.

Meanwhile I can think of at least one episode that will never be shown again, the last one in which even on its last day Saville managed to abuse someone according to the news.
  • Robert WilliamsRobert Williams Posts: 2,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the DLT shows don't get restored to the schedule then there'll be a whopping 17 TOTP-free weeks in total, with the missed JS and DLT shows, two more weeks missed due to strikes and another due to sport. They can obviously cover 12 of those with The Sky at Night (if that continues for the whole year, of course!), and for the rest, they'll probably take the show off for a few weeks during the Proms instead of moving to Wednesday like last year.
    Forum Member
    despite the details of his "alleged" offences that have been published today, as "fact". I mean it is ironic that he is currently plastered all over the BBC news website!

Given what we know now I hardly thinks its 'alleged' any more.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I could probably just about live with missing the 2 DLT episodes till march, but anymore than that would be ridiculous, 14 shows, 17 in total! I can't see them skipping them after DLT has been bailed as people are suggesting, but I suppose it might suit the bbc to skip them in some ways, at least then they could treat them like missing episodes and easily fit them in round the sky at night without having any excess episodes at the end of the year. But imagine all the great performances we will miss, oh why did DLT have to present so many in 1978! :(
  • ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't doubt many of Saville's accusers are genuine - but we have already seen one instance of a woman claiming he put his hand up her skirt on TOTP when she was clearly seen to be wearing trousers. So there are, unfortunately, already people telling lies to get some easy money out of the tabloids - people who are obviously happy to trivialise Saville's appalling behaviour.

As far as DLT is concerned, however, any allegations against him are, as I understand it, not of remotely the same nature as those against Saville (i.e. they don't involve children). They sound more like allegations of sexual harrassment in the workplace. And, while that is obviously not a good thing, I don't think it warrants quite the same level of concern as what Saville did - and clearly someone at the BBC must feel the same, otherwise we wouldn't have seen DLT on more than one occasion in the 1978 documentary.

Unfortunately, however, it would appear that the BBC's response is being dictated by the Daily Heil and its own hypocritical morality, and that is why the DLT episodes are being banned. Someone at the BBC needs to grow a pair - and fast.
  • UrsulaUUrsulaU Posts: 7,239
    Forum Member

Yes and some of the best shows of 1978 are in the first 2-3 months of the year!! :mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Servalan wrote: »
    I don't doubt many of Saville's accusers are genuine - but we have already seen one instance of a woman claiming he put his hand up her skirt on TOTP when she was clearly seen to be wearing trousers. So there are, unfortunately, already people telling lies to get some easy money out of the tabloids - people who are obviously happy to trivialise Saville's appalling behaviour.

As far as DLT is concerned, however, any allegations against him are, as I understand it, not of remotely the same nature as those against Saville (i.e. they don't involve children). They sound more like allegations of sexual harrassment in the workplace. And, while that is obviously not a good thing, I don't think it warrants quite the same level of concern as what Saville did - and clearly someone at the BBC must feel the same, otherwise we wouldn't have seen DLT on more than one occasion in the 1978 documentary.

Unfortunately, however, it would appear that the BBC's response is being dictated by the Daily Heil and its own hypocritical morality, and that is why the DLT episodes are being banned. Someone at the BBC needs to grow a pair - and fast.

Can't prove it of course, as I was too young, but I'd be willing to bet a decent wager that back in the 1970's there probably wasn't a single office in the nation, or factory floor, or whatever, where men and women worked together, where there was not casual and accepted sexual harrassment going on week in week out. Not just men against women, but maybe some women against men too, and likely a few same sex ones too no doubt.

You really only have to look at On The Buses on ITV3, which typifies this kind of behaviour from the early 70's perfectly, yet is one of those comedies of the time still deemed okay to broadcast regularly, and I do enjoy it for my sins.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Only in so much as his "offences" have not been tried in a court of law, before a judge and jury, with both a defence and prosecution case made by both sides. Remember, if Savile was still alive and everything was out as we know it, and he had been charged with the whole lot listed today, we could still only say "alleged" until and if any trial came to a formal judgement by judge and jury.

Previously mentioned by Servalan about the chance that not all are true, I am certain that must be the case. It would be interesting to know how many people have come forward and who the police have dismissed as wasters. There have even been murder cases where totally innocent people show up and admit to something they never did. People can do and say odd things. I still cannot help but wonder about the reality of the extent of all this, on this huge scale. Are we simply judging him, and others, on our 21st Century attitudes and morals vs 1960's/70's attitudes and morals that, rightly or wrongly were deemed accepted back then. Some of these people may have been living with these things for 40 years or so, then it only suddenly became a problem for them last autumn that he may have touched a leg or something.

Remember, for every person who says they were a victim of Savile, there must also be quite a few more who knew or were aware of these goings on, at all these institutions. That is a lot of other people with their own possible guilty knowing secrets who kept quiet then. How on earth can it be realistic that over such a huge amount of time, with so many individuals, in so many varying places, at so many locations, that NOTHING significant came out enough for a single charge in his lifetime?

And now we are told to believe he was even at it when he was present at the final edition of TOTP in summer 2006 when he was coming up to 80. Good heavens!

This is not in any way a defence of Savile before anyone goes at me. I'm trying to play devil's advocaat, as I think the term is. The easiest thing is to just go with the flow of events as they are unfolding in this sorry, sordid saga. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Out of those 14 shows BBC four wont be airing we still should be able to see about 10 of them thanks to UK Gold repeats (and the Savile one on the BBC Motion gallery if it has'nt dissapeared ;) )
  • tortfeasortortfeasor Posts: 7,000
    Forum Member
    I've thought along similar lines to those as Rich Tea about there not being a single charge brought against Savile during his lifetime, particularly when complaints were made long after he was really as big a public figure as he had been in the 1960s and 1970s. I know that it is plausible that complaints made or suspicions raised during the 1960s and 1970s might have been swayed because Savile was regarded highly for his charitable work and because of who he was. However, apart from the odd TV appearance and news item, he'd largely disappeared by the 2000s. I think it's hard to believe that it was because of who Savile was that the handling of complaints made a few years ago might have been influenced in some way because they were against Jimmy Savile. After all two very high profile convictions for sexual or indecent offences against children by well known figures from the same industry had happened by then: One could say that perhaps this should have raised the alarms that if 4 complaints were made (and if older complaints were on record), there should definitely have been more of an effort to build a case.

Like Rich Tea says undoubtedly some of the complaints have been from time wasters. People get charged with wasting police time for saying things that are completely untrue but have caused time to be spent in vain investigating a potential crime. At the same time there must still be people out there who have knowledge about things that went on who have not come forward.

The cases that the DPP review looked into were about the complaints made to two police forces in 2007 and 2008. Whilst I've not yet read the full report (published today) it appears that the investigations were handled with an unjustified amount of caution and that the CPS prosecutor didn't ask enough questions or act in a way towards building a case. I fully appreciate the possibilities of witnesses colluding potentially rendering a successful prosecution impossible and it seems that this was a big factor in why charges were not brought. From what I have read it sounds as though there was nothing to suggest a risk that the various complainants might have colluded. More worryingly it also sounds as though the CPS prosecutor didn't see all of the evidence that he/she should have seen.

It is enormously difficult to believe that not a single thing came out of the complaints/concerns raised (official and 'unofficial') during Savile's lifetime.
    Forum Member
    This is not in any way a defence of Savile before anyone goes at me. I'm trying to play devil's advocaat, as I think the term is. The easiest thing is to just go with the flow of events as they are unfolding in this sorry, sordid saga. :(

Devil's advocaat
    I love a Christmas snowball!!!
This discussion has been closed.