Defiance (360/PS3/PC)

Comments

• 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    I was thinking of getting it, but the lack of any review at all anywhere, after its release date is a huge warning sign for me.

I agree but in the name of science I'll try it out and post some impressions later on. :)

This game had a huge budget and it's twinned with a TV show, a lot of love has clearly gone into the game and MS have even bent rules to allow it on their machine (HDD only). So I'm hopeful! kinda.. I'm sure even if it reviews bad it will still offer something for those looking for a particular experience heh.

I think the lack of reviews is less to do with an embargo and more to do with the fact reviewers will surely want to test drive it when the servers go live (which is today), this is what I meant by it's a hard type of game to review.
  • PinSarlaPinSarla Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I might DL this on Steam later when I get home, but I've read elsewhere that there are numerous bugs in the PC version.
    Forum Member
    I've been installing this game for the past half an hour maybe more, it taking bloody ages, I'm stuck in a seemingly never ending loop of patches and when you think it's finished it starts verifying, cleaning up and then optimizing content. It's taking forever!!
  • PinSarlaPinSarla Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been installing this game for the past half an hour maybe more, it taking bloody ages, I'm stuck in a seemingly never ending loop of patches and when you think it's finished it starts verifying, cleaning up and then optimizing content. It's taking forever!!

Are you on PC?
  • BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    Picked it up this afternoon for the 360 - £35 from Tesco. Also got me a £5 off voucher.

I'll try it this week and then if it doesn't do it for me I'll quickly trade it on to minimize any loss.
    Forum Member
    You would think so lol, but no, Xbox 360. I'm in now, you can link your accounts to the website, I think there's some bonus in doing that. Has to be said there's a lot of messing around just to get up and running. The servers are down atm and I can't get in, not the best start I guess!

You're not gonna tell me their servers are overloaded due to the high demand on day 1... surely not.
    Forum Member
    Hmm, think I'll give it a few days for everything to settle down before I take a look.
  • SpeedloaferSpeedloafer Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You would think so lol, but no, Xbox 360. I'm in now, you can link your accounts to the website, I think there's some bonus in doing that. Has to be said there's a lot of messing around just to get up and running. The servers are down atm and I can't get in, not the best start I guess!

You're not gonna tell me their servers are overloaded due to the high demand on day 1... surely not.

It is to be expected with an mmo for servers to be done on day 1. No suprise there I dont think any less of them.
    Forum Member
    When I have got in the game is quite smooth and very playable but the servers are definitely unstable and you get booted out when they go down. It works really well with players around you though and when I was connected there was no lag from gushots or juddering about, the multiplayer aspect is definitely this games greatest asset.

The people I've met seems to be using their real names for their characters, is that normal? Is anyone else here going to be doing that?
    Forum Member
    It is to be expected with an mmo for servers to be done on day 1. No suprise there I dont think any less of them.

Absolute mate, I'm not expecting things to run perfectly either.
  • SilverCrownSilverCrown Posts: 1,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been following Defiance for a while, and was looking forward to it. Can't decide if I want to get it on PC or PS3 yet, though.
    Forum Member
    I managed to sink a coupe of hours into this since the servers seem to be stable now. It's pretty much everything I expected from it. It's weird playing a game with so many players in the game world, all running about doing their own thing, or the next minute they can be helping you take down enemies during your missions. It's a persistent online game world where large scale battles are a reality, no need for lobbies and having to be whisked away to a separate area to take part in a quest. It's all handled really seamlessly and players are everywhere.

It's enjoyable, gameplay is smooth, tight controls and the guns have a nice kick to them. It reminds me of a cross between Borderlands and Skyrim just with out the polished visuals. I can at least see this game holding a good community. I look forward to teaming up with some of you guys in the future. :)
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    I managed to sink a coupe of hours into this since the servers seem to be stable now. It's pretty much everything I expected from it. It's weird playing a game with so many players in the game world, all running about doing their own thing, or the next minute they can be helping you take down enemies during your missions. It's a persistent online game world where large scale battles are a reality, no need for lobbies and having to be whisked away to a separate area to take part in a quest. It's all handled really seamlessly and players are everywhere.

It's enjoyable, gameplay is smooth, tight controls and the guns have a nice kick to them. It reminds me of a cross between Borderlands and Skyrim just with out the polished visuals. I can at least see this game holding a good community. I look forward to teaming up with some of you guys in the future. :)

I've been playing for a couple of hours too. It looks like a nice game to dip into for a mission or two without expecting you to devote hours to like some multi-player games. It will be interesting to see if it stays like that up to higher levels, or if it falls back onto the same tired 'end game' treadmill that other MMOs often do.
  • LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sounds amazing if boomerang send it I might get to play ir
  • Ben_FreemanBen_Freeman Posts: 326
    Forum Member
    I am buying this the events of the next 2 weeks will lead in to the tv series then while the tv series is on the plot will change and in the off season the game plot will set up.the season its never ending
    Forum Member
    Had a very quick go last night - took about 40 minutes to install and patch.

First impressions - not bad. Ran through the EGO tutorial and started the first mission but then I got disconnected from the server. Oh well, early days. So far, not so bad.
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If Blizzard couldn't do it for Diablo... No need to lose your shit like that guy on YouTube. Just wait and it'll be fine.

Saw the ad on telly last night. Looked okay.
    Yet one more game. Still haven't started Bioshock or Crysis 3 and only a third through Tomb Raider.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whats the link up between this and the tv show?
  • Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    It's a hell of an install, but a great game so far.

It will be interesting to see how the show influences the game.

Had a couple of occasions when some randoms turned up while I was doing a side mission and the added firepower helped to polish off the opposition. Will be interesting to see if large groups will be needed to take down the larger foes.

On the downside - navigating the menus can be a pain as some of them aren't very intuitive and they don't always give you a "back" option. So you end up exiting out and then re-entering the menus quite a lot.

Here's hoping clan "DS" kicks ass :)
    Forum Member
    It's a hell of an install, but a great game so far.

It will be interesting to see how the show influences the game.

Had a couple of occasions when some randoms turned up while I was doing a side mission and the added firepower helped to polish off the opposition. Will be interesting to see if large groups will be needed to take down the larger foes.

On the downside - navigating the menus can be a pain as some of them aren't very intuitive and they don't always give you a "back" option. So you end up exiting out and then re-entering the menus quite a lot.

Here's hoping clan "DS" kicks ass :)

You actually need large groups of people for the Arkfall battles, you see them on your map as those red areas, I tried driving there once but it was quite far and I got distracted, plus I don't think I'm leveled up not nearly enough. These battle can get quite hectic, sometimes up to 50 players at once is needed for the bigger drops, you get really good tech for doing them though.

Also another thing worth bearing in mind is that if you browse the in-game store you would be forgiven for thinking there's quite a lot of exclusive content on there but everything that's available to buy with "bits" is available to earn in-game as mission rewards etc. It just takes work, they are only shortcuts.
    Forum Member
    Pleasantly surprised by the number of people playing this so far. Put a few more hours in earlier - stumbled across an arkfall, which was proving tricky to hold until some extra firepower showed up.

The map's pretty big, and full of side missions so lots to get into so far.
  • SpeedloaferSpeedloafer Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Blizzard couldn't do it for Diablo... No need to lose your shit like that guy on YouTube. Just wait and it'll be fine.

That should be down rather dont.

The guy on youtube? Francis? Its just an act
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whats the link up between this and the tv show?

An example...

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-01-21-trion-and-syfy-redefine-licensing-with-defiance
    Beliaeff provided an example of how the game and the TV show will interact: "In one of the episodes of the show, we have an Indogene doctor who figures out there's this nanite contagion spreading and it could doom the town," Beliaeff said. "So she reaches out to her counterpart in the game in San Francisco and now the players in the game have a series of missions that they can fulfill, getting reagents an trying to help the doctor in San Francisco create the cure. The time pressure on the players is they need to do it before next week's episode airs."

What happens if the players fail? "You should watch the next week's episode and see," Beliaeff laughs. "We have our plans; how this goes forward and how this works, we have it closely choreographed. We feel very confident in our plans and whether you're a fan of the show or the game you're going to be satisfied with the outcome."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I won't be playing the game but I will be watching the show so no pressure, guys. :D
  • orzieorzie Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    I have watched a few clips of it on YouTube but I still can't decide if I want to get it. I liked the fallout games and skyrim. Is it the same type of game but all online with other players?