Anyone seen iLL Manors yet?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
Forum Member
✭✭
Trailer looks amazing and a few people on another forum said it was one of the best British films of all time. Really interested in seeing it but struggling to find someone to go with. :o

Comments

• OnDatKryptoniteOnDatKryptonite Posts: 1,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair in the middle of an economic double dip recession, rising food and fuel prices and increasing social problems, the idea of putting down money for yet another grim indictment of how crappy and morally bankrupt our society is as inviting as being mugged.

It's often been said in the good times people will be more willing to be self indulgent and depressive and in harsh times people seek more light entertainment and simple distractions.

That the most popular film this year has been about a team of superheroes fighting aliens is not surprising. People want hope and relief from the depressing reality that is, not a stark reminder of how bad it truly is when they seek escapism in entertainment.

Tyrannosaur, Harry Brown and Wild Bill are great British movies but I'm sure most would rather watch Nanny McPhee or Harry Potter than another movie about kitchen sink Britain's gangsters, drug addicts and crap dads. Most want to walk away from a movie talking about it in the pub, not feeling they should find a gun and a bottle of whiskey to deal with the trauma of what they've witnessed. Well, Lars Von Trier fans maybe but they are a special breed.
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this yet another film about 'yoof' in London with poor grasps on the English language and its pronunciation getting into all sorts of adventures around their council flats?

I think I'll pass...
  • SunnySunshineSunnySunshine Posts: 5,399
    Forum Member
    I'm going to see it . Alone if I have to. :confused: It looks good why would people rather see some shite than a good film?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,832
    Forum Member
    I'm going to see it . Alone if I have to. :confused: It looks good why would people rather see some shite than a good film?

A quick look at box office takings for the past 30 years would tell you that's not a new phenomenon.
    Forum Member
    afx237vi wrote: »
    A quick look at box office takings for the past 30 years would tell you that's not a new phenomenon.

True fact. :D
  • Kayleigh2010Kayleigh2010 Posts: 1,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw it Saturday and it was ok, nothing new though if you've seen adulthood and all that
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Part musical narrated by Plan B with tracks from his Ill Manors album littered throughout and part dark, gritty, urban drama centred around drug dealers basically. Drug dealers, pimps, junkies and prostitutes.

It's acted pretty well with actor Riz Ahmed being the standout. The only one in the movie with a conscience. There's a girl who used to be in Hollyoaks too, those two actors were the only ones i recognised. Plenty of Cockney sterotypes thrown in for good measure too and contains loads of swearing.

Plan B makes a blink and you miss it cameo. It's a not bad film, directed competently but it's nothing you haven't already seen before.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    It's a not bad film, directed competently but it's nothing you haven't already seen before.

How could it be? It's already been done to death over and over... but, of course, new kids on the block think they're all that and they're the first ones to experience this for real.

As for Plan B himself, he's so obviously one of those try-hard wannabe street kids who called himself a 'social outcast' just cause he wanted to fit in with the rest of them. His music is great but this sort of attitude makes me...:sleep:

I will listen to someone's real story. Not all this glamourized 'gangsta' bullshit.
    Forum Member
    It's based on experiences Ben Drew had growing up so I guess if we've seen it all before then either his life to date has been one big cliche or these things are true to life and happen to lots of people all the time? ;)

If there's room in the world for more than one film about a love story or a super hero then there's room for more than one about under privileged urban London.

Although I know that Ill Manors is amazingly low budget I never saw a lack of budget onscreen.

Ill Manors came across to me as fresh and original with a lot to say.

Some people won't like the style, some people won't be able to keep the multiple characters fixed in their mind, some people will find a lot of it hard to watch...but it's a damn good film none the less.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    was a good fil, started slow but by the end it was on fire

up there with kidulthood,adulthood

well directed too
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Part musical narrated by Plan B with tracks from his....

PASS.