Shop Refunds: Can A Shop Get Away With Just Issuing Credit Notes If You Want A Refund

casa_novacasa_nova Posts: 5,757
Forum Member
So Angry. Got some £80 mens jeans, which I never wore from All Saints just over a week ago. Paid by switch, anyway, had receipt, still had all the tags on clearly not worn. Went into shop to get a refund and the assistant manager said she couldn't issue me a refund as it was company policy, and could only give me an exchange or a credit note.

I told her there was nothing else I wanted in store and didn't want a credit note, just the £80 put back onto my card.

She basically told me, well thats all we can give you and not your money back.

I did then check the receipt and did mention this on the receipt, but as I pointed out to her, as I paid by switch, surely the transaction should be reserved in the whatever form was originally used.

Apparently not so.

Therefore I'm stuck with £80 credit note, which I probably will use in a few months time, but I wanted the cash back in my account. And its not the point. I saw some clothes in another shop I wanted to buy with that money today. So am angry.

I then mentioned I had used 'All Saints' concessions in Selfridges and took something back a long time ago with no problem and a full refund.

To which she said All Saint's in Selfridges has to abide by the store policy and all concessions in selfridges have to issue a full refund. But the 'Independant' All Saint Stores will only give out credit notes.

Isn't this against the law????

I know Ted Baker have done it for a good few years and I stopped shopping in there when they did this, out of priniciple and now All Saints have followed suit.

But more as more and more shops seem to be doing this.

Does anyone know if this is illegal practice, surely I should be given the option?

Comments

• DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    casa_nova wrote: »
    So Angry. Got some £80 mens jeans, which I never wore from All Saints just over a week ago. Paid by switch, anyway, had receipt, still had all the tags on clearly not worn. Went into shop to get a refund and the assistant manager said she couldn't issue me a refund as it was company policy, and could only give me an exchange or a credit note.

I told her there was nothing else I wanted in store and didn't want a credit note, just the £80 put back onto my card.

She basically told me, well thats all we can give you and not your money back.

I did then check the receipt and did mention this on the receipt, but as I pointed out to her, as I paid virtually by switch, surely the transaction should be reserved in the whatever form was originally used.

Apparently not so.

Therefore I'm stuck with £80 credit note, which I probably will use in a few months time, but I wanted the cash back in my account. So am angry.

I then mentioned I had used 'All Saints' concessions in Selfridges and took something back before with no problem and a full refund.

Isn't this against the law????

Ted Baker have done it for a while and I stopped shopping in there when they did out of priniciple and now will with All Saints.

But more and more shops seem to be doing this.

Does anyone know?

Assuming there is nothing wrong with them and you have taken them back just because you don't like them you aren't entitled to anything. Anything any shop does is purely discretionary and a goodwill gesture.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    If you paid by card they have to give you it back by card. What exactly was wrong with the goods?
  • kyresakyresa Posts: 16,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No it's not against the law.

The goods were fit for the purpose, they were of merchantable quality and they were as described.

Shops are under no obligation to give a refund just because you changed your mind I'm afraid.
  • domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    Unless there is something wrong with them they don't have to offer anything.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They don't have to refund you unless the item is faulty.

Although to be fair, it's considered good customer service in most places. It's not like the jeans have been worn cos all the tags are still on them.

Might just be company policy and if it's printed on the receipt you don't have a denim-clad leg to stand on.

Try asking at another branch..?
  • MarzBar85MarzBar85 Posts: 15,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No it's not against the law - shops only do refunds as an act of goodwill. They are not required to issue refunds or credit notes unless the item is faulty.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 466
    Forum Member
    I know if the goods are damaged, therefore not fit for the purpose they were intended then a refund has to be issued, however if it's simply that you've changed your mind then i think it's down to the shops discretion.

Try the consumer direct website

http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the jeans weren't faulty then they don't have to refund you anything! They don't even have to accept them back!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    so there you go.. 7 posts telling you the same thing, and you can bet there'll be another 7 more LOL
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    :D....wot they ^^^^^^^ said!! :D
  • casa_novacasa_nova Posts: 5,757
    Forum Member
    Like you said its good customer service. And as a person who shops at All Saints a lot and rarely takes stuff back they have lost more custom from me in future.

All saints online however will give you a full refund if you buy via the internet, so why not in store??? It baffles me.
  • MissjefMissjef Posts: 2,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    as everyone else has said they are within their rights to just give you a credit note. they didn't even have to give you that, so you should be thankful.
    unless products are faulty you have no rights to get a refund from a shop even if you still have the receipt and the tags are still on - obviously if on the back of the receipt is says they do give full refunds even if products aren't faulty and then they refuse then you can complain and expect you're money.

i used to work in music/dvd shop and they didn't do refunds unless the product was faulty - and you can imagine over xmas the amount of people we had shouting at us that this was 'against the law' and we should give them a full refund! very annoying after a while since it's not personally my fault they can't get one its just a company policy!
    i think nowadays a lot of shops are actually too relaxed with their refunds policy!
  • domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    Like you said its good customer service. And as a person who shops at All Saints a lot and rarely takes stuff back they have lost more custom from me in future.

All saints online however will give you a full refund if you buy via the internet, so why not in store??? It baffles me.

Because you cannot try on garments on the internet.

Why buy something you don't want anyway?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Because online is covered by the Distance Selling Regulations :)
  • DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Missjef wrote: »
    i think nowadays a lot of shops are actually too relaxed with their refunds policy!

I think that's why some now only offer credit notes. Too much abuse of the system. I know someone in a clothes shop and have heard some horror stories including several instances of people trying to return obviously used underwear.
  • MissjefMissjef Posts: 2,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DavidT wrote: »
    I think that's why some now only offer credit notes. Too much abuse of the system. I know someone in a clothes shop and have heard some horror stories including several instances of people trying to return obviously used underwear.

yes indeed! i work in a clothes shop at the moment and the amount of things people try return that have clearly been worn but they ve got their receipt so with new refund 'guidelines' we got, we basically just have to grin and bear it and give them their full money back to 'keep the customer happy' as they are always right!
    the worst thing is things coming back that smell of either B.O or cigarettes!
  • fleetfleet Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But if you shop there a lot, why are you worried. You can spend the credit note next time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fleet wrote: »
    But if you shop there a lot, why are you worried. You can spend the credit note next time.

Ahh let's be realistic, the OP wanted the cash for something else in reality :)

(edit, yes, rereading the OP - there were clothes that were better liked in another store !)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just looked on one of my AS receipts, and it says "We will only give a refund in accordance with your legal rights." Not sure what that is implying.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kyresa wrote: »
    Because online is covered by the Distance Selling Regulations :)

Moral of the story, OP should buy All Saints garments online instead of instore.
  • ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member
    Just looked on one of my AS receipts, and it says "We will only give a refund in accordance with your legal rights." Not sure what that is implying.

if it's faulty and you can't get a repair or replacement.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The "No refunds - Credit Note Only" thing on the receipt is not legally relevant since a receipt is issued after the transaction has taken place.

It's not important anyway since no store has a responsibilty to give refunds for goods/services that are as described.

If there was a message in the store somewhere (on display) that suggested a refund (not a credit note) would be issued if you were'nt happy (like Argos) then that's a binding contract.

But that does'nt seem to be the case here.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought a pair of trainers from Sports World and was in a hurry so didn't try them on, just got my normal size. When i got home they didn't fit so i tried to take them back for a refund as still had receipt. They would only give me a credit note as they don't issue refunds unless the goods are faulty. I replied they as they didn't fit me they were not fit for the purpose i bought them for and should get a refund. They refused and said i could keep the trainers or have a credit note.
    That was back in October and i still have a £50 credit note that i have no need for. I'm hoping someone will want something sporty for a birthday and then i can use it!
  • fleetfleet Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lululamb wrote: »
    I bought a pair of trainers from Sports World and was in a hurry so didn't try them on, just got my normal size. When i got home they didn't fit so i tried to take them back for a refund as still had receipt. They would only give me a credit note as they don't issue refunds unless the goods are faulty. I replied they as they didn't fit me they were not fit for the purpose i bought them for and should get a refund. They refused and said i could keep the trainers or have a credit note.
    That was back in October and i still have a £50 credit note that i have no need for. I'm hoping someone will want something sporty for a birthday and then i can use it!

Not fit for purpose means not fit for the purpose they were designed for and not because they didn't fit your purpose.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,328
    Forum Member
    Went to one shop once and bought a coat for my son. I think it was about £70. Tried it on,fitted well and wasnt til we got home that I realised the label had been cut out(obviously is was a factory return or something),but it want discounted or anything. Went to return it then realised behind the til that refunds wernt allowed. Stood in the shop for 10 mins argueing then finally got my money back:rolleyes: