M. Night Shyamalan

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 302
Forum Member
I see that M. Night Shyamalan has a new film coming out called The Visit.

Like most people I enjoyed The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable, and like a lot of people that's about it. I am rooting for him to keep his streak going though: the last four films M. Night Shyamalan has directed all have a red rating on the Metactric/IMDB score (his streak of splats on Rotten Tomatoes is an equally impressive five.)

Can he take the streak a full ten years?! Come on M.

Comments

• necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's directed three fantastic films IMO, the two that you mentioned as well as Signs. That's more than most directors so credit where it's due. I loved two thirds of The Village (though I'm inclined to giving this a re-watch some day).

But why do you want to 'root' for him to continue his bad streak? I want him to go back to making good films again because I think he's a talented director who's lost his way. But I guess being negative is more fun I guess :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 302
    Forum Member
    No. He's run out of last chances. Signs is an average film, and The Village is a bad film. His last four have been terrible films. I mean terrible.

The trailer is promising awful as it's one of those long since original, and long since watchable, found footage things.
  • Pob-BundyPob-Bundy Posts: 1,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's way past time Night called it a day.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anyone watching Wayward Pines - it's very good , I was worried when I saw his name on it but it's going really well .
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anyone watching Wayward Pines - it's very good , I was worried when I saw his name on it but it's going really well .

Yes, I've been watching Wayward Pines. I guess the difference with that venture is that it is based on a series of books by another author. M. Night Shyamalan has tended to write his own stuff in the past and it is that work that has been failing.

'The Sixth Sense' and 'Unbreakable' are both brilliant. Other works like 'Signs', 'The Village' and 'The Happening' are strong on creating intrigue but weak in the climactic delivery. I still hold out some hope for him.
  • pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lady in the water is appalling. I know he didn't have that much to do with it but devil was great
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ironjade wrote: »
    It's way past time Night called it a day.

It got a laugh out of me.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think a sequel to Unbreakable would be interesting.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    At the end, right, it turns out that he was
    a terrible director all along!
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must say I did roar with laughter at the 'can you get inside the oven' line from The Visit trailer- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCsULFGldi8

Hope that one ends up on netflix, as I'm sure I'll enjoy it for the wrong reasons.
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Didn't he direct the village. What a load of shite that was
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I liked 'The Happening'. I think Mark and Zoey are great in it, Very understated. And I like the idea of plants fighting back the way they do and all the different ways people died.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Sixth Sense very good, as was Unbreakable, but the rest mah! I think his main problem is we all now look for the twist etc.
  • SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The thing i didn't understand about The Village was how they managed to build a whole "future world" outside of the village when no one had invented the technology to do so yet. It was a big plot hole for me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Supratad wrote: »
    The thing i didn't understand about The Village was how they managed to build a whole "future world" outside of the village when no one had invented the technology to do so yet. It was a big plot hole for me.

Wasn't it actually a modern world though in the end? As i that was the twist

What a crap film :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't it actually a modern world though in the end? As i that was the twist

What a crap film :D

I think Supratad's comment may have been tongue in cheek.
  • Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    I'm still interested in what he directs as he comes out with some good ideas. Some of worked out better than others but I haven't completely written him off just yet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    I think Supratad's comment may have been tongue in cheek.

:blush::blush::blush:
  • stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    He seems to have gone from hero to zero. I remember all the rave for "The Sixth Sense". "Unbreakable" got pretty good reviews as well. I also liked "Signs" and "The Village" - I'm probably in a minority on those. After that - he seemed to be out of favour. "The Lady In The Water" got panned - although, whilst I didn't think it was good - I was expecting it to be much worse than all the reviews that it got.

Can he make a comeback?

He seems to be stuck with the same formula - namely, having to have a "twist" in a film's plot.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    Bit of a curio, isn't he. Takes slightly hokey, Twilight Zone premises and bestows hushed portent upon them. Occasionally it works if the material's right, but otherwise just seems pompous. Signs did well as an eerie, stripped down alien invasion thriller that showed he had the chops for working an audience, but all the faith business with Mad Mel looked forced, as if needlessly compensating for its genre roots.

Another big hit, but since then it looks like the studios simply gave him enough rope and he promptly hung himself. It didn't help that the twist to the Village was all over the net either.
  • OxygenatedOxygenated Posts: 1,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the problem is that you always expect a twist if he is directing it. Which then ruins it, because you are looking for it.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,268
    Forum Member
    The most recent thing i liked was Devil. Though i think he was just a producer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stripedcat wrote: »
    He seems to have gone from hero to zero. I remember all the rave for "The Sixth Sense". "Unbreakable" got pretty good reviews as well. I also liked "Signs" and "The Village" - I'm probably in a minority on those. After that - he seemed to be out of favour. "The Lady In The Water" got panned - although, whilst I didn't think it was good - I was expecting it to be much worse than all the reviews that it got.

Can he make a comeback?

He seems to be stuck with the same formula - namely, having to have a "twist" in a film's plot.

The last airbender was a hit but the reviews were so bad it didn't help his career.

That said Guy Ritchie's career looked finished after Swept away and revolver but then turned it around with the Sherlock Holmes films so perhaps Shyamalan can as well.
  • FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    indiekid76 wrote: »
    I see that M. Night Shyamalan has a new film coming out called The Visit.

Like most people I enjoyed The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable, and like a lot of people that's about it. I am rooting for him to keep his streak going though: the last four films M. Night Shyamalan has directed all have a red rating on the Metactric/IMDB score (his streak of splats on Rotten Tomatoes is an equally impressive five.)

Can he take the streak a full ten years?! Come on M.

He can pull another rabbit out of his hat IMO.

He's got another great movie in him.