Top Of The Pops 1976 every week on BBC Four

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,074
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Yeap, its going to be TOTP 1976 every week starting Thursday 8th April 2011 at 7.30pm.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01076jz

Every week thereafter the chart from 1976 will be played parallel to the same week and month from 1976 as if it was the present day.

Really looking forward to this.:)

Comments

• Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What will be interesting is to compare how wide the range of music in the chats was in 1976 compared to now.

I think the difference will be very noticeable!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I look forward to adding it to my planner later tonight, much better summary here.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/mar/30/top-of-the-pops-bbc4
  • I love EllieI love Ellie Posts: 8,009
    Forum Member
    What will be interesting is to compare how wide the range of music in the chats was in 1976 compared to now.

Even the least musically talented punk band will seem like virtuosos compared to todays bland overkill of dancing pretty boys and girls.
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member

You think? ;)

I agree with you though. One thing you can guarantee, not one autotuned wannabe in sight.
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even The Wombles had more musical ability than most in the charts today I suspect.

Might have to turn the sound down when The Wurzels appar though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 356
    Forum Member
    Even the least musically talented punk band will seem like virtuosos compared to todays bland overkill of dancing pretty boys and girls.

Don't think there will much if indeed any Punk from TotP 1976 show's. There will be a lot of music of the type Punk should've aimed it's sights at, but completely failed to do, instead going after other types favoured of the music press in order to get journalists on their side. Ever feel like you've been conned?
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frood wrote: »
    Even The Wombles had more musical ability than most in the charts today I suspect.

I'd take The Wurzels over The Bay City Rollers, any day, though.... My two sisters loved them but they completely passed me by! Perhaps if I'd have been born a girl I might have thought differently though!!! :D
  • mb@2daymb@2day Posts: 10,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't think there will much if indeed any Punk from TotP 1976 show's. There will be a lot of music of the type Punk should've aimed it's sights at, but completely failed to do, instead going after other types favoured of the music press in order to get journalists on their side. Ever feel like you've been conned?

Too early for Punk , the Pistol didn't hit the charts until the end of the year.

In the mean time I'll look back at the badly dressed presenters like Noel Edmonds and think nasty things.
  • ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mb@2day wrote: »
    Too early for Punk , the Pistol didn't hit the charts until the end of the year.

In the mean time I'll look back at the badly dressed presenters like Noel Edmonds and think nasty things.

The nearest we'll get to punk is Eddie & The Hot Rods. Beyond that, it'll be well into 1977 before you get a sniff of punk on TOTP. Let's just hope the repeats continue for long enough ...
  • mb@2daymb@2day Posts: 10,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Servalan wrote: »
    The nearest we'll get to punk is Eddie & The Hot Rods. Beyond that, it'll be well into 1977 before you get a sniff of punk on TOTP. Let's just hope the repeats continue for long enough ...

I'm getting my years mixed up , I thought Eddie & TH were the following year. :confused: They were a New Wave band before there was such a thing. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mb@2day wrote: »
    I'm getting my years mixed up , I thought Eddie & TH were the following year. :confused: They were a New Wave band before there was such a thing. ;)

You're not quite as mixed up as you think. 'Do Anything You Wanna Do', their big hit, did indeed come in 1977, but they debuted on TOTP in September 1976 with this track from their Live At The Marquee EP ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ELfRL75vME

E&THR were cut from the same cloth as Dr Feelgood - but rather ended up struggling in the punk tsunami of 1976/1977/1978 ...
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the heads up! (As for the 'then and now' debate, I think there was some good/bad music then and some now. I don't see the need to praise the past by criticisng the present).
  • foxlafoxla Posts: 1,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shame the BBC could not have done the same as ARD (Germany) last year that showed most of the 70's TOTP's, (not just 76) at least the ones that are left
  • tomfoolery1tomfoolery1 Posts: 662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeap, its going to be TOTP 1976 every week starting Thursday 8th April 2011 at 7.30pm.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01076jz

Every week thereafter the chart from 1976 will be played parallel to the same week and month from 1976 as if it was the present day.

Really looking forward to this.:)

Be interesting to see what happens when they reach the weeks where the episode is missing although that won't be an issue until July
    foxla wrote: »
    shame the BBC could not have done the same as ARD (Germany) last year that showed most of the 70's TOTP's, (not just 76) at least the ones that are left

It was Einsfestival Germany that showed 50 shows from 1970 to 1976.
    I recorded them all on dvd .
    The second run only recently finished .
    From what I can make out on their website its back in 2 weeks so I'm really hoping they've bought some more .

Consecutive shows will get very boring very fast.
    If they want to tie in with the nearest date why not do it for a different year each week.
    So do 1977 one week , then 1979 and so on back and forth to make it interesting
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,780
    Forum Member
    Consecutive shows will get very boring very fast.
    If they want to tie in with the nearest date why not do it for a different year each week.
    So do 1977 one week , then 1979 and so on back and forth to make it interesting[/QUOTE]

I have to agree, in a few months we will have Elton & Kiki on for lord knows how many weeks and as Elton was out of the UK when that was a big hit it will be the same recording every week.

It's a shame they can't offer us an 8 weekly rotation otherwise it will be the same songs week in week out as the TOTP rotation was every other week for chart climbers.

Looking forward to Pan's People or was it Legs & Co by 1976 ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FM Lover wrote: »
    I have to agree, in a few months we will have Elton & Kiki on for lord knows how many weeks and as Elton was out of the UK when that was a big hit it will be the same recording every week.

It's a shame they can't offer us an 8 weekly rotation otherwise it will be the same songs week in week out as the TOTP rotation was every other week for chart climbers.

Looking forward to Pan's People or was it Legs & Co by 1976 ?

You can enjoy Pans People until the end of April 1976.
    Then male and female dance group Ruby Flipper appeared.
    And they had 2 and sometimes even 3 routines on each show.

It didn't work out and viewers were given the chance to name the replacements on the show later in the year and thats where Legs & Co come in on October 21st 1976
  • INSOMNIA56INSOMNIA56 Posts: 749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frood wrote: »

nonsense crank it up to max & break the knob off, world's greatest band, ever, we're so, so not worthy.

going for a lie down now.
  • RetrospectiveRetrospective Posts: 3,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will be good to hear some good music for a change instead of the tripe that passes as today's music.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will be good to hear some good music for a change instead of the tripe that passes as today's music.

Agreed , although I think 70-74 was much better.
    Having recorded the German broadcasts I don't think people will take long to be bored of Elton John & Kiki Dee at Number One every week or Pussycat with Mississippi come to that
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agreed , although I think 70-74 was much better.
    Having recorded the German broadcasts I don't think people will take long to be bored of Elton John & Kiki Dee at Number One every week or Pussycat with Mississippi come to that

On one level, I know what you mean.

Having said that, I'd take 'Don't Go Breaking My Heart' and 'Mississippi' over 'Do It Like A Dude', 'Born This Way' or any other Autotuned tripe currently clagging up the charts.

And if 'Mississippi' appears good in contrast to the likes of Jessie J, they must be really bad ... :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On one level, I know what you mean.

Having said that, I'd take 'Don't Go Breaking My Heart' and 'Mississippi' over 'Do It Like A Dude', 'Born This Way' or any other Autotuned tripe currently clagging up the charts.

And if 'Mississippi' appears good in contrast to the likes of Jessie J, they must be really bad ... :eek:

The 2 Number Ones mentioned are good songs that I like.
    But as Number One for several weeks in a row it gets boring.

Even more boring is the fact that the chart is also very similar

Worth noting that thanks to his ban on UK Gold , next week will see the first repeat for most viewers of Noel Edmonds - bar the odd Xmas show in the 90's on BBC2.

His ban did spoil the 90's run on UK Gold as many of the few existing shows from 73-75 were hosted by him so they had to be skipped by UKG
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The 2 Number Ones mentioned are good songs that I like.
    But as Number One for several weeks in a row it gets boring.

Even more boring is the fact that the chart is also very similar

Worth noting that thanks to his ban on UK Gold , next week will see the first repeat for most viewers of Noel Edmonds - bar the odd Xmas show in the 90's on BBC2.

His ban did spoil the 90's run on UK Gold as many of the few existing shows from 73-75 were hosted by him so they had to be skipped by UKG

I had no idea about this ban ... was this his idea? How on earth could he demand (and get) something like that imposed? :confused:

I know what you mean about the charts, but I don't care enough to worry about it. After all, we've got Pan's People morphing into the short-lived Ruby Flipper (watch out for their brilliant routine to the French disco version of 'Tubular Bells'), then morphing into Legs & Co. TV heaven! ;):D
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charts for week ending 10 April 1976:

http://www.theofficialcharts.com/archive-chart/_/1/1976-04-10/

Several Beatles songs in there - were the singles reissued around that time?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    Charts for week ending 10 April 1976:

http://www.theofficialcharts.com/archive-chart/_/1/1976-04-10/

Several Beatles songs in there - were the singles reissued around that time?

Yes. All the Beatles' singles were re-issued in picture sleeves and 'Yesterday' came out as a single for the first time.

I seem to recall Pan's People doing a great routine to 'Paperback Writer' ... how sad am I?!? :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had no idea about this ban ... was this his idea? How on earth could he demand (and get) something like that imposed? :confused:

I know what you mean about the charts, but I don't care enough to worry about it. After all, we've got Pan's People morphing into the short-lived Ruby Flipper (watch out for their brilliant routine to the French disco version of 'Tubular Bells'), then morphing into Legs & Co. TV heaven! ;):D

Pre 1999 and a new Equity deal permission had to be sought and given by each and every performer for tv repeats which is why they were few and far between and why UK Gold and Bravo had such a hard job for a few years.

Not sure how the Radio 1 DJ's fall into that category but it was a controversial decision at the time by Edmonds to refuse permission but nevertheless he did.

Whether it was because the repeat fees were very low -and it was well publicised that UKG fees were tiny -or because he comes across as a right dick I don't know.

It was nice to see so many of his shows on Einsfestival purely because 73-75 is one of my fave eras.

There are only 9 shows from 1975 that survive and he hosts 3 of them .