Glee star Cory Monteith found dead in Canada hotel, aged 31

Comments

• benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ikkleosu wrote: »
    I get the impression that a lot of those throwing abuse Cory's way is from people who are angry that Cory had the audacity to not be an "obvious" heroin or drug user.

How dare he look young and fit and healthy; How dare he manage to always perform well in his work; how dare he not be constantly late, fired, off his face and misbehaving; how dare he not be destroying every part of his life publicly; how dare he be known for being kind, warm, eloquent, and funny instead of rowdy, destructive, rude and crass.

People want to be able to clearly judge drug users, they want to be able to say "told ya!" when they succumb to their demons. They feel cheated because they thought they could like him or accept him and believe he was one of THEM, instead of one of those OTHERS they think of as drug users.He betrayed all that for them by being an incredibly decent, pleasant person who simply had one vice that sadly ended up killing him.

If anything, hopefully his death can show young people that EVEN IF you manage to control the rest of your life, a drug addiction can still kill you swiftly and silently.

Many heavy drug abusers only begin to look and behave like "druggies" when they cannot afford the substances they are abusing, sadly. There are many very high functioning serious cocain users in this country who are never identified as such because they can afford to feed the habit.
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get the impression that a lot of those throwing abuse Cory's way is from people who are angry that Cory had the audacity to not be an "obvious" heroin or drug user.

How dare he look young and fit and healthy; How dare he manage to always perform well in his work; how dare he not be constantly late, fired, off his face and misbehaving; how dare he not be destroying every part of his life publicly; how dare he be known for being kind, warm, eloquent, and funny instead of rowdy, destructive, rude and crass.

People want to be able to clearly judge drug users, they want to be able to say "told ya!" when they succumb to their demons. They feel cheated because they thought they could like him or accept him and believe he was one of THEM, instead of one of those OTHERS they think of as drug users.He betrayed all that for them by being an incredibly decent, pleasant person who simply had one vice that sadly ended up killing him.

If anything, hopefully his death can show young people that EVEN IF you manage to control the rest of your life, a drug addiction can still kill you swiftly and silently.

Excellent post.
  • PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Excellent post.
    benjamini wrote: »
    Many heavy drug abusers only begin to look and behave like "druggies" when they cannot afford the substances they are abusing, sadly. There are many very high functioning serious cocain users in this country who are never identified as such because they can afford to feed the habit.

The number of doctors who regularly use cocaine is quite scary.
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree with all of your points with the exception of referring to his addiction as a "vice". Addiction is a disease, the people who suffer with an addition are not in control.
    Vice is usually attributed to a practice, behavior or habit generally considered immoral, depraved, or degrading in the associated society. I don't think a drug and alcohol addiction necessarily merits that comparison.

Cocaine works in an entirely different way to heroin though, the two drugs aren't really comparable. There's plenty of people who've recovered from a cocaine addiction, there's very few successful ex-heroin addicts (talking famous people here in direct comparison with Cory Monteith).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cadiva wrote: »
    I agree with all of your points with the exception of referring to his addiction as a "vice". Addiction is a disease, the people who suffer with an addition are not in control.
    Vice is usually attributed to a practice, behavior or habit generally considered immoral, depraved, or degrading in the associated society. I don't think a drug and alcohol addiction necessarily merits that comparison.

Cocaine works in an entirely different way to heroin though, the two drugs aren't really comparable. There's plenty of people who've recovered from a cocaine addiction, there's very few successful ex-heroin addicts (talking famous people here in direct comparison with Cory Monteith).

I do agree with you to a certain extent, tho I also know a heroin user who managed to get completely clean without medical intervention, and a cocaine user who mixed it with amphetamines and their life is in tatters. Lost their children job etc.
    By say , yes but: we send very mixed messages to young people.
    We utterly condemn, via the red tops drug taking parents of young children.
    We totally castigate sportsmen and women who take drugs.
    There is increasing drug testing in the work place etc.
    However we encourage our children to love and revere many pop idols, actors, actresses etc who have the unfortunate dependency on drugs of one kind or another.
    We are told by almost everyone that marijuana and various pills is an inevitable part of our teens lives, and that's kinda ok.
    We send out mixed messages re drugs and have done so for many years. IMO of course:D
  • nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    YWhat's pathetic is your abject lack of understanding or compassion. Global fame, loads of money, millions of fans do not equal automatic happiness.

Ah, so the poor little lamb was unhappy. How stupid was this chap to think that drinking vast amounts of alcohol and taking heroin would change that.

He could've used his fame to help others, or given the money he chose to spend on drugs to charity. Maybe that would've made him feel good.
  • mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, so the poor little lamb was unhappy. How stupid was this chap to think that drinking vast amounts of alcohol and taking heroin would change that.

He could've used his fame to help others, or given the money he chose to spend on drugs to charity. Maybe that would've made him feel good.

Congratulations!

You've just won a cabinet posting in the tory party!

:eek:
  • Randomguy83Randomguy83 Posts: 16,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Most ignorant post I've seen on DS in a long time.
  • gemmaovwales03gemmaovwales03 Posts: 7,183
    Forum Member
    Ignore the troll

TMZ are reporting that Cory has been cremated.
    http://www.tmz.com/2013/07/17/cory-monteith-cremated-father-dead
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,204
    Forum Member
    Oh my goodness that has happened very quickly. I'm surprised.
    I suppose they might do a memorial service at a later date with friends etc.
  • asyousayasyousay Posts: 38,838
    Forum Member
    Ignore the troll

TMZ are reporting that Cory has been cremated.
    http://www.tmz.com/2013/07/17/cory-monteith-cremated-father-dead

I am amazed the mother would not let the father say goodbye to his son . That seems very cold hearted .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do agree with you to a certain extent, tho I also know a heroin user who managed to get completely clean without medical intervention, and a cocaine user who mixed it with amphetamines and their life is in tatters. Lost their children job etc.
    By say , yes but: we send very mixed messages to young people.
    We utterly condemn, via the red tops drug taking parents of young children.
    We totally castigate sportsmen and women who take drugs.
    There is increasing drug testing in the work place etc.
    However we encourage our children to love and revere many pop idols, actors, actresses etc who have the unfortunate dependency on drugs of one kind or another.
    We are told by almost everyone that marijuana and various pills is an inevitable part of our teens lives, and that's kinda ok.
    We send out mixed messages re drugs and have done so for many years. IMO of course:D

I completely agree with you. Never mind drugs of the narcotic kind, the attitude towards alcohol staggers me.

All of which he did, which you'd be aware of if you actually bothered to find out anything about Cory Monteith rather than spouting the usual "oh he brought it on himself" sanctimonious crap that gets churned out in cases like this.
    asyousay wrote: »
    I am amazed the mother would not let the father say goodbye to his son . That seems very cold hearted .

His father left when Cory was seven. Cory only got back in touch with him a few years ago, I'm not that surprised to be honest, even if it does seem harsh (and if it's true, given TMZ's reputation).
  • katkimkatkim Posts: 10,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think his dad walked out on the family when Cory was very young, and they re-established some sort of relationship in the past few years. It's sad that his dad didn't get to say goodbye and it does seem rather cold, but I can understand why he wasn't asked.
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Simi89 wrote: »
    Oh my goodness that has happened very quickly. I'm surprised.
    I suppose they might do a memorial service at a later date with friends etc.

I'd assumed that too - a memorial service for wider family and friends, and any other celebrities he was close to, presumably.
    All of which he did, which you'd be aware of if you actually bothered to find out anything about Cory Monteith rather than spouting the usual "oh he brought it on himself" sanctimonious crap that gets churned out in cases like this.

People don't bother to research these things when they're already so convinced they're right, regardless of truth.
  • ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't been following this story since it broke. Has it now been confirmed that he died of a drugs overdose?
  • Smithy1204Smithy1204 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shappy wrote: »
    I haven't been following this story since it broke. Has it now been confirmed that he died of a drugs overdose?

It has, yes - a mixed drug toxicity involving heroin and alcohol apparently.

Very sad at such a young age, such a waste of his life. I wouldn't wish that on anyone, addiction is a horrible thing.

I haven't watched Glee properly, but I have some of the soundtrack albums and I love his voice, especially on Can't Fight This Feeling, as well as the obvious Don't Stop Believin'.
  • nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    Most ignorant post I've seen on DS in a long time.

Really? You should try harder. ;)

But seriously, what is ignorant about expressing an opinion that someone who wasted his good fortune in life was, himself, a waste of space.

You may prefer to think the poor ikle fellow needed more love and care, wasn't understood, and fell victim to an 'illness' called addiction.

To me, he was just another weak willed overpaid wining idiot. I'm sorry for his family, who cannot be responsible for his life, but that is all.
  • revans33revans33 Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But seriously, what is ignorant about expressing an opinion that someone who wasted his good fortune in life was, himself, a waste of space.

You may prefer to think the poor ikle fellow needed more love and care, wasn't understood, and fell victim to an 'illness' called addiction.

To me, he was just another weak willed overpaid wining idiot. I'm sorry for his family, who cannot be responsible for his life, but that is all.

You're calling him a waste of space which is ignorant as he did a lot of charity work, was always very open about his problems, how he became addicted and admitted himself into rehab. Someone who tries to sort their life out and helping others on the way is not a waste of space and certainly doesn't deserve to die.
  • tommytigertommytiger Posts: 312
    Forum Member

BIB - to me a 'waste of space' is some dole dosser who has never worked a day in his life and has 12 kids which the tax payers are supporting.

I don't think a highly talented actor who brought joy to many people can be considered a 'waste of space' just because you don't particularly like the fact he also was battling a drug addiction.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And that is because you know absolutely nothing about him.
  • Randomguy83Randomguy83 Posts: 16,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's you who should try harder :yawn::yawn::yawn:. There's nothing ignorant about expressing an opinion so long as said opinion is based on facts rather than your own pig headed assumptions :cool:. Where in any of my posts have I said he needed more love and care? Oh wait I didn't, more of your ignorant fact less assumptions.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I honestly don't know why Cory's death has affected me so much but it really has. I think it's a combination of him being so young and thinking of poor Lea Michele, who is just a year older then me. Shocking shocking situation and I really feel for the poor girl
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I honestly don't know why Cory's death has affected me so much but it really has. I think it's a combination of him being so young and thinking of poor Lea Michele, who is just a year older then me. Shocking shocking situation and I really feel for the poor girl

Personally for me, irrespective of the fact that I loved him as an actor in Glee, it's because he tried so hard to beat his addictions and had been clean for a pretty long time and yet, ultimately, he wasn't able to because it is a disease which takes away the rational ability to control resistance.
    He did so much as well in his life to warn against the dangers of drugs. He didn't sit back and do nothing, he used his fame and his fortune to try and help others, to set up charities aimed at helping youngsters who might have been in a similar place he was as a 13-year-old, he didn't hide his past, he spoke openly about being an addict, about how his fame and fortune wasn't easily come by and how he never took any of it for granted.

I think the fact that there hasn't been a bad word said about him by anyone, including the Hollywood press and paparazzi (hardly known for their acts of kindness), says it all about the type of guy he was.

Ultimately I'm just sad that he wasn't able to continue his struggle with drugs and alcohol and that he won't be around any more to entertain and inspire people to try and search for a better life and a solution to addiction.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally for me, irrespective of the fact that I loved him as an actor in Glee, it's because he tried so hard to beat his addictions and had been clean for a pretty long time and yet, ultimately, he wasn't able to because it is a disease which takes away the rational ability to control resistance.
    He did so much as well in his life to warn against the dangers of drugs. He didn't sit back and do nothing, he used his fame and his fortune to try and help others, to set up charities aimed at helping youngsters who might have been in a similar place he was as a 13-year-old, he didn't hide his past, he spoke openly about being an addict, about how his fame and fortune wasn't easily come by and how he never took any of it for granted.

I think the fact that there hasn't been a bad word said about him by anyone, including the Hollywood press and paparazzi (hardly known for their acts of kindness), says it all about the type of guy he was.

Ultimately I'm just sad that he wasn't able to continue his struggle with drugs and alcohol and that he won't be around any more to entertain and inspire people to try and search for a better life and a solution to addiction.

I think you've hit the nail on the head, brilliant post
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very interesting article about heroin users and why some look more the part than others, much of what I said previously on here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23355579