Spiral (Engrenages) Series Four

Comments

• VerenceVerence Posts: 104,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Samir Guesmi who played Faroukh Larbi in season 2 of Spiral and Aksel Ustun who played Nazim Ozbek in season 4 both appear in Les Revenants, a French zombie drama, the rights of which have been bought by Channel 4

http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2013/03/channel-4-acquires-uk-rights-to-french-zombie-drama-series-les-revenants/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Revenants_(TV_series)
  • doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    Just caught up with the final two episodes, was good overall although Riffaut managed to escape more times than was credible and at the end everyone could have, and should have evacuated the building instead of looking for the bomb.
  • pauljoansspauljoanss Posts: 1,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems I am out of sync with most others on this forum but I was underwhelmed by this series and slightly annoyed because I watched it based on good reviews.
    Since The Killing 1 I have watched all the BBC4 Sat night sub titled series and this was the worst, while TK1 was the best IMO.
    It seemed to by trying to portray a down to earth view of Paris criminal life but the the plot lines were more unbelievable than MIdsomer Murders.
    Virtually every "stakeout" went wrong, people getting away thro back doors or on motor bikes, no one there, baddies shooting back, forgetting binoculars etc etc.
    Twice money was going to be paid to baddies in wads of blank notes with one good one each end of wad, that would have worked for about 5 secs.
    When planning the paying money for return of Cretin, they said "remember it is Cretin we want", next minute they said "do not grab them until they take the money".
    Man in street identified as friend of Riffaut so instead of following him to find Riffaut they grab him but luckily he has key with details on fob.
    Riffaut completely unconvincing character, over grown school boy, reminded me of Jamie Cullam.
    Early episode, black lad arrested for illegal immigration, held in deportation Center with lots of others, almost immediately a crowd (small) outside chanting for his release by name, how come?
    TinTin not well but still allowed to go on critical operations, including those with guns.
    Nasty boss just ridiculous.
    Lots of separate stories with very tenuous links, note TK1 ran for 20+ episodes and was totally dedicated to the one story, yes lots of twist, but all around the one story.
    Rowan story particularly poor, not sure if I was concentrating but was there 3 rapes and because one did not recognise the man then he must be innocent, the DNA stuff in another case also proved nothing.
    I felt no tension at all during final episode because had no feeling for any of the characters. Why did he not just switch off mobile in bomb.
    Etc Etc
    Emperor's new clothes come to mind.
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's just a matter of opinion though, isn't it? I imagine I'd have liked this series much less if I hadn't seen previous ones too. I love Spiral personally, I really like the characters and the way they're all a bit inept. I enjoyed this much more than the recent series of the Killing, which I didn't enjoy very much at all (I agree that series 1 was stunning).
  • KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    overnights for the finale :)

ep 11/12: 500k (2.2%)
    ep 12/12: 510k (2.9%) (even episode beats odd one shock!)

Table so far:

Overnights:

ep 1/12: 594k (2.65%)
    ep 2/12: 433k (2.2%)
    ep 3/12: 454k (2.0%)
    ep 4/12: 408k (2.1%)
    ep 5/12: 452k (2.05%)
    ep 6/12: 357k (1.8%)
    ep 7/12: 430k
    ep 8/12: 357k
    ep 9/12: 487k
    ep 10/12: 426.5k
    ep 12/12: 510k (2.9%)

Officials:
    ep 1/12: 823k
    ep 2/12: 653k
    ep 3/12: 649k
    ep 4/12: 599k
    ep 5/12: 657k
    ep 6/12: 610k
    ep 7/12: 612k
    ep 8/12: 585k
    ep 9/12: 627k
    ep 10/12: 608k

K
  • Dirty RoosterDirty Rooster Posts: 1,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh heck I agree with everything ;
    pauljoanss wrote: »
    Seems I am out of sync with most others on this forum but I was underwhelmed by this series and slightly annoyed because I watched it based on good reviews.
    Since The Killing 1 I have watched all the BBC4 Sat night sub titled series and this was the worst, while TK1 was the best IMO.
    It seemed to by trying to portray a down to earth view of Paris criminal life but the the plot lines were more unbelievable than MIdsomer Murders.
    Virtually every "stakeout" went wrong, people getting away thro back doors or on motor bikes, no one there, baddies shooting back, forgetting binoculars etc etc.
    Twice money was going to be paid to baddies in wads of blank notes with one good one each end of wad, that would have worked for about 5 secs.
    When planning the paying money for return of Cretin, they said "remember it is Cretin we want", next minute they said "do not grab them until they take the money".
    Man in street identified as friend of Riffaut so instead of following him to find Riffaut they grab him but luckily he has key with details on fob.
    Riffaut completely unconvincing character, over grown school boy, reminded me of Jamie Cullam.
    Early episode, black lad arrested for illegal immigration, held in deportation Center with lots of others, almost immediately a crowd (small) outside chanting for his release by name, how come?
    TinTin not well but still allowed to go on critical operations, including those with guns.
    Nasty boss just ridiculous.
    Lots of separate stories with very tenuous links, note TK1 ran for 20+ episodes and was totally dedicated to the one story, yes lots of twist, but all around the one story.
    Rowan story particularly poor, not sure if I was concentrating but was there 3 rapes and because one did not recognise the man then he must be innocent, the DNA stuff in another case also proved nothing.
    I felt no tension at all during final episode because had no feeling for any of the characters. Why did he not just switch off mobile in bomb.
    Etc Etc
    Emperor's new clothes come to mind.
    The previous series were better, more solid, more nasty.

And ... anyone else baffled at what happened to lawyer bloke when he got temporarily kidnapped? And how he's absolutely fine afterwards ...

I still think the final episode got turned over to a whole other bunch of writers, nothing gels.
  • the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    @pauljoanss - Have you seen all three previous series of Engrenages then? I think the plotlines in series 4 didn't all hang together as well as they have in previous series - although overall I still think it was all very thrilling. In the previous series we used to get a 'story of the week' in with the overarching series arc - I kind of miss that.

No you weren't concentrating on the rape plotline - and it's 'Roban'. :p What do you mean the DNA stuff in the rape case proved nothing? That's not true. The results of the DNA evidence would have ruined the prosecution's case because it was decided that the MO was so distinctive as for the rapes to have been committed by one perp - and Raulic was shown to be in the clear from the DNA. Remember that the burden of proof in criminal trials is on the prosecution. They have to prove that the defendant did the crime; not that they didn't do it. As far as we're aware, as of the end of the series the rapist is still out there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elanor wrote: »
    It's just a matter of opinion though, isn't it? I imagine I'd have liked this series much less if I hadn't seen previous ones too. I love Spiral personally, I really like the characters and the way they're all a bit inept. I enjoyed this much more than the recent series of the Killing, which I didn't enjoy very much at all (I agree that series 1 was stunning).

Completely agree with every word! I like the fact the characters make errors and Laure throws tantrums and they beat up suspects - adds a certain humour and French charm. That's why the characters have the nickname 'the blunder squad' after all. :) It makes so much difference if you've seen the previous series of Engrenages. And I too preferred this to the recent series of TK although I adored TK1.
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Spiral Series 3 dvd arrived today. :D I'm going to buy 4 in the next week or so, and watch all the series from start to finish all over again!
  • pauljoansspauljoanss Posts: 1,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    @pauljoanss - Have you seen all three previous series of Engrenages then? I think the plotlines in series 4 didn't all hang together as well as they have in previous series - although overall I still think it was all very thrilling. In the previous series we used to get a 'story of the week' in with the overarching series arc - I kind of miss that.

No you weren't concentrating on the rape plotline - and it's 'Roban'. :p What do you mean the DNA stuff in the rape case proved nothing? That's not true. The results of the DNA evidence would have ruined the prosecution's case because it was decided that the MO was so distinctive as for the rapes to have been committed by one perp - and Raulic was shown to be in the clear from the DNA. Remember that the burden of proof in criminal trials is on the prosecution. They have to prove that the defendant did the crime; not that they didn't do it. As far as we're aware, as of the end of the series the rapist is still out there.

No I have not seen any of the previous series, there seems to be general agreement that they were better than this one.

Coming back to the rape case, I was not concentrating but did two victims not clearly identify the rapist, is that not regarded as proof. The victim we meet was absolutely clear on her identity selection. Would this not override the DNA stuff from the other rape case eg more circumstantial, could be copycat crime. Turning it around, If the rapist from the other case was identified by his DNA then I cannot see he could be convicted for these three rapes just because they were the same MO, especially if two of the victims identified someone else.
    It is very difficult for us in the UK to understand the French system whereby judges carry out a lot of their own investigations.
    I hope this is a very unrealistic drama, otherwise It appears some areas of Paris are overrun with immigrant criminals and virtually nogo areas for police. Hope this is not true over there or over here.
    (PS, can no one afford razors any more in France, I buy BIC ones, only £1 for ten, they are very good and each one last at least a week)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pauljoanss wrote: »
    I hope this is a very unrealistic drama, otherwise It appears some areas of Paris are overrun with immigrant criminals and virtually nogo areas for police. Hope this is not true over there or over here.

To be honest I don't think the rape cases were presented to us in enough detail for me to be able to satisfactorily answer your queries. It seems they were mainly there to illuminate the fact that Garnier was sitting on evidence in order to secure a conviction i.e. his corruption; and also Roban's typical lone fight against the system. I had wanted them to actually sew that plotline up and tell us who the rapist was but seeing as that didn't happen I can only conclude the rape cases themselves were secondary to the Garnier/Roban stuff.

I think there are a lot of problems with immigrants and also native youths in the Paris banlieues - from what I've read it does have pretty much no-go areas but so do quite a few western European cities nowadays.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Spiral Series 3 dvd arrived today. :D I'm going to buy 4 in the next week or so, and watch all the series from start to finish all over again!

Cool! I love series 2 - when Sami comes into it - and with the sinister Larbi brothers.
  • darnelledarnelle Posts: 9,116
    Forum Member
    why did they kill Sami? he was gorgeous....
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fox have announced a start date for their English language French detective drama Jo

http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2013/03/fox-sets-uk-premiere-date-for-jo/
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cool! I love series 2 - when Sami comes into it - and with the sinister Larbi brothers.

I loved Sami :( I think Series 3 is my favourite series (though I love them all).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KennyT wrote: »
    and the following week:

http://www.radiotimes.com/film/vtwy/the-secret-in-their-eyes

that one looks good, but note that it's on later in the evening...

K
  • HarkAtHerHarkAtHer Posts: 2,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me a lot of the pleasure in these complex Euro-dramas is the 'foreignness' of the setting and language. Every series has its key phrase: in Wallander, it was 'va fan!' and in Spiral it's 'putain!'

I think the translation in Spiral 4 has been mentioned before in this thread, but I did get a bit annoyed with the repetition of the phrase 'spinning out'. Tintin was always spinning out after he nearly died in the raid on le squat. I've never heard that phrase in English, we'd say 'losing the plot' or something. Maybe it has something to do with the title, Engrenages, which I've just found out means 'gears' or (figuratively) 'inescapable sequence of events'. So maybe he was 'spinning out of gear'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,210
    Forum Member
    KennyT wrote: »
    and the following week:

http://www.radiotimes.com/film/vtwy/the-secret-in-their-eyes

that one looks good, but note that it's on later in the evening...

K

The Arne Dahl Intercrime series starts on Saturday 6 April. 10 x 90 minute episodes.
  • renard grisrenard gris Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where has the time gone?! The first five Saturdays of the year, we had Borgen, quickly followed by six Saturdays of Spiral.
  • HarkAtHerHarkAtHer Posts: 2,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Arne Dahl Intercrime series starts on Saturday 6 April. 10 x 90 minute episodes.

Looking forward to that!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    officials for the finale :)

ep 11/12: 691k
    ep 12/12: 732k (even episode beats odd one again shock!)

Final table:

Overnights:

ep 1/12: 594k (2.65%)
    ep 2/12: 433k (2.2%)
    ep 3/12: 454k (2.0%)
    ep 4/12: 408k (2.1%)
    ep 5/12: 452k (2.05%)
    ep 6/12: 357k (1.8%)
    ep 7/12: 430k
    ep 8/12: 357k
    ep 9/12: 487k
    ep 10/12: 426.5k
    ep 12/12: 510k (2.9%)
    Series average: 450k

Officials:
    ep 1/12: 823k
    ep 2/12: 653k
    ep 3/12: 649k
    ep 4/12: 599k
    ep 5/12: 657k
    ep 6/12: 610k
    ep 7/12: 612k
    ep 8/12: 585k
    ep 9/12: 627k
    ep 10/12: 608k
    ep 11/12: 691k
    ep 12/12: 732k
    Series average: 654k

K
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    HarkAtHer wrote: »
    For me a lot of the pleasure in these complex Euro-dramas is the 'foreignness' of the setting and language. Every series has its key phrase: in Wallander, it was 'va fan!' and in Spiral it's 'putain!'

I love this too- after TK, 'for helvede' has become a regular phrase in my house!

Late to the party as usual as only caught up on the last 2 episodes this weekend, but thought it was a good ending. I wish Thomas hadn't got away yet again and poor Samy hadn't been blown up (I was willing him to switch the phone off, but I suppose unlike the viewer, he didn't know that wouldn't activate the bomb), but at least that kind of makes Laure's decision for her, unless she now pushes Vincent away because he isn't Samy :(
  • catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    but at least that kind of makes Laure's decision for her, unless she now pushes Vincent away because he isn't Samy :(

I think more likely Vincent will dump her because he knows she was two-timing him with Samy and lied to him about it. But what I still want to know is whether Vincent ever found out what she was up to when he and she first "got together"!
  • CubicEyesCubicEyes Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    Don't know if anyone who can answer this will actually see it now, as it's only just occurred to me at this very late stage to ask it here, but... I was intrigued and puzzled by the impressively evil Johnny Jorkal's accent, and couldn't find anything anywhere to tell me what nationality / ethnic origin he was supposed to be. I found his French almost incomprehensible, and with his distinctive but to me unidentifiable looks, at first I assumed he was supposed to be some sort of Eastern European oligarch who'd immigrated to Paris. But I see that the actor is actually Swiss, so can anyone tell me whether what he was speaking was in fact Swiss French?
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CubicEyes wrote: »
    Don't know if anyone who can answer this will actually see it now, as it's only just occurred to me at this very late stage to ask it here, but... I was intrigued and puzzled by the impressively evil Johnny Jorkal's accent, and couldn't find anything anywhere to tell me what nationality / ethnic origin he was supposed to be. I found his French almost incomprehensible, and with his distinctive but to me unidentifiable looks, at first I assumed he was supposed to be some sort of Eastern European oligarch who'd immigrated to Paris. But I see that the actor is actually Swiss, so can anyone tell me whether what he was speaking was in fact Swiss French?

Hm... I'd need to listen again. However, I did live in French speaking Switzerland for a year, and I think I would have noticed if he was speaking with a Swiss accent - I really don't think it was. There isn't really a 'Swiss French' the way there is a 'Swiss German' - they have a few different words and an accent, that's about it. I don't think Jorkal sounded Swiss. I assumed he was Eastern European.