Three - The truth

SkyPlatinumSkyPlatinum Posts: 871
Forum Member
✭✭
I read lots of threads on here about how great Three are, and some of the points I agree with however there needs to be some balance. In my experience the problem with three is the signal INSIDE buildings. If anyone can get a signal from three in side a building in the city of London, I would be impressed. That's why they are cheaper then other networks because, they open admit that they have plenty of network limitations with indoor signals, this may change when they roll out their LTE network but at the moment any potential customers need to realise this. Also they offer very little 2G back up now and are also one of the only networks that doesn't offer some kind of wifi package bundled in. Just my experience of three

Comments

• legends wear 7legends wear 7 Posts: 2,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the reasons i left three was the lack of in building coverage at work.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Never had an issue with them here in Dundee yet indoors or outdoors.
  • scooby1970scooby1970 Posts: 2,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never had an issue with them in my area or on my travels. Always had a signal in any workplace I visit or digs I stay. In my house for example, Three is the only network to get a full signal, where as there is no O2 and EE struggles at best to get one bar, and Voda is hit or miss.

:) Mark
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I get H+ indoors.
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    Indoor issues have be mentioned to death on here. It obviously depends on where you live/work and how close the nearest cell is. I'm rural so I wouldn't choose them but there are many many satisfied customers. As a company, I like their attitude generally. Three will be the reason we'll ALL pay less.
  • The WulfrunianThe Wulfrunian Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I'm on EE and get naff all in my flat 3G, 2G or any other type of signal. Can't take calls or receive messages unless my phone is next to the window. A mile outside Liverpool city centre by the way so not exactly rural.

As stated above there's always personal differences which is why it's always dangerous to take an opinion as gospel. Starting a thread on the "truth" of a company is downright misleading.
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    Never had any issues with EE 3G building penetration in London.. So it's either the Three cell is really busy (Three take 40%ish of all mobile data va EE's 20%) and reducing the coverage (cell breathing), this could be because EE have a better ie larger spectrum allocation to allow better use of mobile signal/capacity in busy areas or that it's the old Orange cells are boosting signal (most in London shall be integrated into MBNL)

The biggest issue in London with all the operators is capacity (3G). Voda/EE are your best bet.
  • reclusive46reclusive46 Posts: 584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's why I love 02's 3G 900mhz. Great in building coverage.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    I tend to find that my coverage indoors is very good, except 3G in my workplace.

The only guess I have is the sheet metal roof acts as a faraday cage? :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i found out this week that Three's 3G signal on the underground part of the railway network in the centre of Glasgow is poor.

Apart from that and a very short section on the railway line between Airdrie and Glasgow, I have never had issues with Three's reception - indoors or out.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Root metrics indoor tests in the major cities say otherwise.

Nearly 1 in 10 calls are failing on Vodafone in some cities according to them.
  • slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Threads like this are pretty worthless. You can do this with all the networks and you will find some people have great coverage to poor on a sliding scale depending on where they are and what network they are on.

I live in London and get decent 3g signal indoors. Especially since the H+ roll out. At work I am clocking 10mbps+. yes in live and work I'm London and signal is very good indeed with three.
  • PretinamaPretinama Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    Sometimes, having a Three phone is a bit like not having a phone.
  • Hugh_Hugh_ Posts: 951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On my iPhone 5 in an area with 3's DC-HSDPA I often see 20Mbps+ and have a great connection.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    This is such a pointlesss thread. Hardly the truth either.
  • Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretinama wrote: »
    Sometimes, having a Three phone is a bit like not having a phone.

I've had a Three contract for years now and I've ALWAYS had a phone.

Care to elaborate?

Really don't get threads like these. As above you could do a thread like this on ALL networks. Stop bashing Three just because your all jelous of the unlimited blazing fast Internet lol
  • red_g00nerred_g00ner Posts: 817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am very happy with Three. :)
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alan carr does a bit in one of his routines about three
    Quite funny even though I'm not on it myself.
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    red_g00ner wrote: »
    I am very happy with Three. :)
    As I say in the thread I just started "Network differing speeds on 3G" inside at home "3" typically give me 12Mbs on an indifferent signal (2 bars) while Vodafone give only 3Mbps on what seems a better signal! (3 bars) - both using the same speedtest App.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get H+ at my office, its great. I can still stream video. I was showing someone at work a trailer for a new Android game that came out.
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    I think Three's policy at the moment is to hoover up all those users that are in good coverage areas with their "LTE at no extra charge" thing and not worry too much about the in building coverage.
    Then once they have reasonable 1800/800 coverage, move in for the kill by activating VoLTE! :)
  • wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LTE using an Ultrafast handset on 3 is priced differently. A Samsung Galaxy S3 on the One Plan is £29 up front and £34 a month on a 24 month contract BUT £29 up front and £36 a month when it's the LTE version. So it's actually £48 more for the Ultrafast LTE service as the contract price has been increased. Exactly as predicted a few weeks ago. Still good that it's unlimited of course but clearly the proposition is more expensive for the Ultrafast service despite assurances by 3 that they would bot be charging a premium for the service.
  • legends wear 7legends wear 7 Posts: 2,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That price increase is nothing more than covering the additional cost of the 4G enabled handset. Which is more expensive to buy than the 3G version
  • Hugh_Hugh_ Posts: 951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LTE using an Ultrafast handset on 3 is priced differently. A Samsung Galaxy S3 on the One Plan is £29 up front and £34 a month on a 24 month contract BUT £29 up front and £36 a month when it's the LTE version. So it's actually £48 more for the Ultrafast LTE service as the contract price has been increased. Exactly as predicted a few weeks ago. Still good that it's unlimited of course but clearly the proposition is more expensive for the Ultrafast service despite assurances by 3 that they would bot be charging a premium for the service.

I think you'll find the £48 difference in contracts is because the S3LTE is more expensive to buy than the standard S3. EG On amazon the S3 is £360 brandnew sim free and the S3LTE is £453 sim free.
  • georgebarnesgeorgebarnes Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    what is h plus out of interest and whats the difference btweet h plus and 3g x