Police Seek The Right To Strike.

occyoccy Posts: 65,045
Forum Member
✭✭
Police are seeking the right to Industrial action after an historic vote.

http://news.sky.com/story/1059734/police-vote-in-favour-of-right-to-strike

The Police are not allowed to strike. What does everyone think? Who would look after and police the country? Army can take over from the Fire Brigade if they do.

Comments

• David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely not.

However, they need far better and independent arbitration than is the case currently.
  • wallsterwallster Posts: 17,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    occy wrote: »

The Police are not allowed to strike. What does everyone think? Who would look after and police the country? Army can take over from the Fire Brigade if they do.

No Government would grant such a right. If the police don't like their lot, they should look for other work.
  • CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    They should have the same employment rights as everyone else, not that any government would give them that. Not enough members voted for them to take this further anyway.
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Government would need to change Primary legislations which would need to go from House Of Commons to Lords. This would take time. A starting officer gets 19K now compared to 23k. There was arguments previous with Fire Officers having extra jobs. Why should someone have an extra job. People join the force cause they are interested in Law and Order not for pay, but should be rewarded for their hard work they do.
  • AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Police Federation officials said 20% cuts to policing and "attacks" on pensions, pay and conditions have sparked "unprecedented discontent and low morale".

Apparently not enough to get them to bother voting though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some join the police force not to strike or vote for that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most Officers just want to get on with doing the job. Also Most who join are not effected with the industrial disputes. It's all the ones who have been there for years. This political team at present won't change the way they are trying to rip the police apart. No law will make them strike.
  • ExiledchillerExiledchiller Posts: 1,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wallster wrote: »
    No Government would grant such a right. If the police don't like their lot, they should look for other work.

It costs £16 k to train 1 police officer with something like 135k officers

That's £2295000000 worth of trained officers you simply tell them if you don't like it do one

Not that I wannt the police to strike, but to replace one of those officers costs alot so it's not a good idea saying do one
  • Clarisse76Clarisse76 Posts: 5,566
    Forum Member
    I'd grant them the right to strike so long as they do it on a nice warm sunny Sunday conducive to riding a motorbike :D
  • queseraseraqueserasera Posts: 2,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »

So historic that more than half couldn't be bothered to vote .............................
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most Police Officers dont want to strike, nor should they be allowed to.

They will know a vote on this is a waste of time, so I doubt many bothered for that reason.
  • mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clarisse76 wrote: »
    I'd grant them the right to strike so long as they do it on a nice warm sunny Sunday conducive to riding a motorbike :D

If you ever decide to run for an election I would vote for you:D
  • solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Arrest them all for their impertinence.
  • Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »
    Absolutely not.

However, they need far better and independent arbitration than is the case currently.

Absolutely they should have the right to strike. If you want to turn their pay back 10 years overnight, change the entire rank structure of the organisation and the promotion/development path, change their pension and conditions then this is the price the Government should be willing to pay.

This is what happens when you try to destroy morale in a public service for no other reason than political spite towards the public sector.

Have your cake David, make sure you eat it all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So historic that more than half couldn't be bothered to vote .............................

Well it was the last Tory Government that forced nurses in the RCN to vote to abandon their "no strike" policy.

When you destroy good will in a workforce this is what happens. Any half decent company boardroom could tell you that. £19,000 for new PCs is absolutely insulting, that's what they were earning 10 years ago. 10 years lost pay. The price of a Tory Government.

What's even worse, is that I was speaking to a colleague who is leaving to join the Met soon. The Met no longer pays new PCs during training, they work their first month for nothing, and he's spending the next six months attending a weekly day course before he joins. Again, unpaid. This Government is truly beyond contempt at lengths its prepared to go to cheat people out of an honest days pay.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wallster wrote: »

You might regret that, £19,000 for new PCs is disgustingly low, I expect a massive shortage on new recruits in coming years, especially in areas where the job market is very competitve, and that means the Police will be forced to take on dregs just to make up the numbers.

In London Heathrow Airport is about to embark on a massive recruitment campaign for Terminal 2. £19,000 is pocket money compared to the salaries that will be offered there and LHR has a long history of recruiting Police and ex- armed forces.

Just like they destroyed nursing, so the Tories will destroy the Police. I wonder what Mrs Thatcher would make of it all. If only she was still active in Politics.;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil 2804 wrote: »
    You might regret that, £19,000 for new PCs is disgustingly low, I expect a massive shortage on new recruits in coming years, especially in areas where the job market is very competitve, and that means the Police will be forced to take on dregs just to make up the numbers.

In London Heathrow Airport is about to embark on a massive recruitment campaign for Terminal 2. £19,000 is pocket money compared to the salaries that will be offered there and LHR has a long history of recruiting Police and ex- armed forces.

Just like they destroyed nursing, so the Tories will destroy the Police. I wonder what Mrs Thatcher would make of it all. If only she was still active in Politics.;)

I thought there's a hiring freeze?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it was the last Tory Government that forced nurses in the RCN to vote to abandon their "no strike" policy.

When you destroy good will in a workforce this is what happens. Any half decent company boardroom could tell you that. £19,000 for new PCs is absolutely insulting, that's what they were earning 10 years ago. 10 years lost pay. The price of a Tory Government.

What's even worse, is that I was speaking to a colleague who is leaving to join the Met soon. The Met no longer pays new PCs during training, they work their first month for nothing, and he's spending the next six months attending a weekly day course before he joins. Again, unpaid. This Government is truly beyond contempt at lengths its prepared to go to cheat people out of an honest days pay.

Of course another way of looking at it is that the majority who decided not to take part in the ballot did so because they are realistic about the difficulties the country is in at the moment and did not want to adopt a "giveme giveme" attitude so prevalent amongst some on this board ...........
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course another way of looking at it is that the majority who decided not to take part in the ballot did so because they are realistic about the difficulties the country is in at the moment and did not want to adopt a "giveme giveme" attitude so prevalent amongst some on this board ...........

Yeah why worry about such trivialities as paying your rent?:rolleyes:

If the financial position is so bad then why hasn't the Government cut the state pension by 5%? Pensioners account for 45% of the welfare bill and why haven't they made employers take on some of the burden by increasing the minimum wage to a more realistic £7.50 an hour? Welfare for people on low pay accounts for 22.5% of the budget. Amazon et. al. might not pay corporation tax, but that's no reason why they should also benefit from the corporate welfare system too.

This why the austerity BS spouted by the Tory boys just doesn't wash with me. If they actually acknowledged where the real drain on Government finances is and took action to remedy it, I might find it believable. As they don't the only reason I can think of for their actions is a deep seated hatred of the working classes and a nostalgia for society to revert to how it was in the 1930s when the people knew their place, were happy to live 5 in a bed in flea infested slums, and didn't question their masters.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If police can go on strike, then I want the law changed to allow me to conceal or open carry firearms. Only we can protect ourselves.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah why worry about such trivialities as paying your rent?:rolleyes:

If the financial position is so bad then why hasn't the Government cut the state pension by 5%? Pensioners account for 45% of the welfare bill and why haven't they made employers take on some of the burden by increasing the minimum wage to a more realistic £7.50 an hour? Welfare for people on low pay accounts for 22.5% of the budget. Amazon et. al. might not pay corporation tax, but that's no reason why they should also benefit from the corporate welfare system too.

This why the austerity BS spouted by the Tory boys just doesn't wash with me. If they actually acknowledged where the real drain on Government finances is and took action to remedy it, I might find it believable. As they don't the only reason I can think of for their actions is a deep seated hatred of the working classes and a nostalgia for society to revert to how it was in the 1930s when the people knew their place, were happy to live 5 in a bed in flea infested slums, and didn't question their masters.

LOL you do know what the topic of this thread is don't you?

If you want to debate the general malaise I think you should start your own thread not hijack someone else's - who knows perhaps you could include a poll to see who supports your proposal to reduce pensions by 5 per cent ....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL you do know what the topic of this thread is don't you?

If you want to debate the general malaise I think you should start your own thread not hijack someone else's - who knows perhaps you could include a poll to see who supports your proposal to reduce pensions by 5 per cent ....

I wouldn't expect you to understand why this is all linked. Its far to complicated for a Tory to understand as they have no concept of a greater society beyond their own front door. That's why we are in such a mess and will be for years to come.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If police can go on strike, then I want the law changed to allow me to conceal or open carry firearms. Only we can protect ourselves.

Yeah, lets be like America, who needs healthcare when the murder rate quadruples from firearm incidents?;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't expect you to understand why this is all linked. Its far to complicated for a Tory to understand as they have no concept of a greater society beyond their own front door. That's why we are in such a mess and will be for years to come.

Well if I see a Tory I'll ask them if they understand it. Is that OK with you ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, lets be like America, who needs healthcare when the murder rate quadruples from firearm incidents?;)

well you are the one advocating a lack of law and order so you can hardly be surprised if people want to protect themselves in such circumstances .......