Jar of Hearts - acoustic cover

suniilsuniil Posts: 2,612
Forum Member
✭✭✭
by an 11 year old classical music student. It's not a parent's rant, but genuinely interested to hear the feedback, as it is our responsibility know what DS forum members think (for various reasons, will PM if anyone interested).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRroUtpyL9I

Comments

• soulmusicsoulmusic Posts: 2,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very impressive. I could feel the raw emotion of the song. Hope she does well in her music career.
  • suniilsuniil Posts: 2,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you Soulmusic
  • WhyHelloWorldWhyHelloWorld Posts: 15,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmmm....there is no denying she is hitting the notes. However, there are millions just like her, and better. Nothing unique to the tone of her voice honestly. Nothing special, but good.
  • Barry_ClarkeBarry_Clarke Posts: 2,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you should enter You Generation and don't listen to the above :) You are a really gifted person. Would love to hear some of your own compositions.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you should enter You Generation and don't listen to the above :) You are a really gifted person. Would love to hear some of your own compositions.

Don't listen to the above?

You do realise everyone is allowed an opinion, right? She can sing, yeah. There isn't anything special about the tone of her voice, that's my opinion. This thread was created to get opinions, i gave mine. Just because it disagree's with your opinion doesn't mean it's invalid and should be ignored. :rolleyes:
  • Barry_ClarkeBarry_Clarke Posts: 2,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't listen to the above?

You do realise everyone is allowed an opinion, right? She can sing, yeah. There isn't anything special about the tone of her voice, that's my opinion. This thread was created to get opinions, i gave mine. Just because it disagree's with your opinion doesn't mean it's invalid and should be ignored. :rolleyes:

This is a child not an adult who has had years of experience, for her age, she has alot of potential, she is already well advanced in her ability to play the Piano, and her voice is to a very good standard. Vocal coaching will help to improve it even further. She has so much time to mature her voice, I believe you are basing your opinion on those out in the charts at the moment. This artist is still a young girl, and that should be taken into consideration. From looking at her covers it is clear to see she both has a following and has good musical training. There is ways to word things, and I just didn't think you worded your critique appropriately. I.E. You never offered ways to improve etc.

Back to Gayatri I actually think her next step would to actually maybe challenge an arrangement of a song, to possibly push her out of her comfort zone slightly. If possible I would love to hear her interpretation of "Let Her Go" by Passenger. Obviously she can change the lyrics of the song to suite her :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBumgq5yVrA
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is a child not an adult who has had years of experience, for her age, she has alot of potential, she is already well advanced in her ability to play the Piano, and her voice is to a very good standard. Vocal coaching will help to improve it even further. She has so much time to mature her voice, I believe you are basing your opinion on those out in the charts at the moment. This artist is still a young girl, and that should be taken into consideration. From looking at her covers it is clear to see she both has a following and has good musical training. There is ways to word things, and I just didn't think you worded your critique appropriately. I.E. You never offered ways to improve etc.

Back to Gayatri I actually think her next step would to actually maybe challenge an arrangement of a song, to possibly push her out of her comfort zone slightly. If possible I would love to hear her interpretation of "Let Her Go" by Passenger. Obviously she can change the lyrics of the song to suite her :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBumgq5yVrA

I worded my critique exactly the way I meant to. Yes, vocal training could help her. We all know that. Vocal coaching will not, however, change the tone of her voice. In what way am i basing her voice by what is in the charts at the moment? I have been looking through her channel and her cover of Titanium is good, yes. She sings in tune, hits good notes. Her piano playing is fantastic. Does that make her good? Yes. Obviously. There is no saying she isn't - which is why i said in my original post that she was good. She still doesn't, no matter how many times i listen to her Jar Of Hearts cover, no matter how many covers i listen to, have a tone to her voice that makes her stand out from the rest. There are millions of people around the world like her. Millions with good voices who have a following on YouTube, a lot of these kids are a lot younger than Gayatri too. There are others, who may not have same vocal ability, that have a beautiful tone to their voice that have millions more views. Take this guy as an example -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsvlsuLau5c ! Is he a better technical singer? No. Is he a better artist? Yes. More unique? Yes. More original, yeah?

Regarding your comment about her not having years of experience, she is a TRAINED singer. A lot of people in their 30's on YouTube have never ever had a singing lesson, she is a lot more trained than them, and has a lot more experience's and knowledge handed to her.

My point stands. Good singer. Nothing special though.
  • PandorianPandorian Posts: 5,335
    Forum Member
    Hmmm....there is no denying she is hitting the notes. However, there are millions just like her, and better. Nothing unique to the tone of her voice honestly. Nothing special, but good.

Overall, I am inclined to agree with this.

It would be interesting to hear the song again without the reverb - it sounded a little nasal to me.
  • suniilsuniil Posts: 2,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys for the positive and negative feedback. Good to know what members here think. Yes, she is well trained with classical style of singing with grade 8 (merit), but that has nothing to do with tonal quality.

She is also a first study pianist and regularly get featured in Carnegie hall MX website etc. She gets substantial scholarship from dept of education. As you saw her profile, you may have figured out the school she goes to, which usually accepts only child prodigies across the globe. She got in with her hard work only.