What will the BBFC rating be for "A Good Day To Die Hard" ?

jwar1976jwar1976 Posts: 424
Forum Member
Yesterday it was announced that "A good day to die hard" would be rated R in the USA. I have had a look on the BBFC website & they state that the trailers have been given a 12A certificate. This makes me wonder if they are going to do some lame cuts to make it a 15 or release it uncut with an 18 certificate.

http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/a-good-day-to-die-hard-will-be-rated-r-in-the-us/294524

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Even though it's an R in the US I strongly doubt it'll be strong enough to warrant an 18 rating. My money is on an uncut 15 rating.
  • EVILSPEAKEVILSPEAK Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably have some minor cuts to get a 15 then they can do the usual Unrated DVD release thing.
  • James2001James2001 Posts: 73,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EVILSPEAK wrote: »
    Probably have some minor cuts to get a 15 then they can do the usual Unrated DVD release thing.

Isn't the unrated an American thing? DVDs of films over here has to be rated, so most of the time, even the uncut/extended DVDs (which are usually the same as the Unrated versions in the US) usually have the same rating as the original film. It's a marketing gimmick to sell DVDs rather than really putting naughtier content into a film most of the time.
    Forum Member
    EVILSPEAK wrote: »

I'd be very, very surprised if this film needed cuts to get a 15 rating. Die Hard with a Vengeance is the strongest Die Hard movie in terms of violence/swearing and that's now an uncut 15 (the previous cuts were waived recently) and I doubt that AGDTDH will be stronger than that.
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't Die Hard 4.0 a 15 despite it being a PG-13 in the US, can't imagine FOX will want it to be an 18 as it'll hurt its box office potential. If the content is similar to Die Hard 4 with maybe a tad more swearing and violence, then a 15's more likely.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Didn't they say the last Die Hard would be an R, then it got a PG-13?
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Come on - all we want to know is whether he actually says "muthaf*cker" this time.
  • The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    He said it last time.
    Forum Member
    Didn't they say the last Die Hard would be an R, then it got a PG-13?

No, they didn't confirm the rating until just before the film came out. I believe that they announced that they were shooting for a PG13 rating though, much to the anger of every Die Hard fan. Looks like Fox learned a lesson from Prometheus last year in that there's still money to be made from movies with an R rating, although i am surprised that they've gone back to the R rating after Die Hard 4.0/Live Free or Die Hard made so much money.
    He said it last time.

He sort of did, it was more like "Yippe Ki Yay motherfu*GUNSHOT*". The BBFC thought that it was close enough to saying the whole thing, hence the 15 rating, without that it would likely have been a 12A. I can't remember if he says the whole thing on the Unrated version, i seem to think that despite the added poorly dubbed swearing they didn't alter the "Yippe Ki Yay" scene.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,290
    Forum Member
    Probably "C" for "crap"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    CJClarke wrote: »
    No, they didn't confirm the rating until just before the film came out. I believe that they announced that they were shooting for a PG13 rating though, much to the anger of every Die Hard fan. Looks like Fox learned a lesson from Prometheus last year in that there's still money to be made from movies with an R rating, although i am surprised that they've gone back to the R rating after Die Hard 4.0/Live Free or Die Hard made so much money.

Prometheus wasn't a hard R though, it got a 15 in the UK and a 14A in Canada... (I'd imagine Die Hard will get a similar rating). BBFC examiner James Blatch said Prometheus got a 15, because it wasn't a 12 rather than actually being a proper 15 (if that makes any sense).

What that actually tells us is that Ridley Scott wanted a PG-13, but didn't get one (also evidenced by the fact there are two versions of the medpod scene on the collector's edition) suggesting a trend in the industry and that were they aiming for one Fox might not cut it for a 12...

I don't think Die Hard will get an 18, I don't think Fox would let them do a movie with such a restrictive certificate....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It'll likely be a 15 - that's generally the same as an R, obviously there are a few exceptions here and there.
  • The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    CJClarke wrote: »
    He sort of did, it was more like "Yippe Ki Yay motherfu*GUNSHOT*". The BBFC thought that it was close enough to saying the whole thing, hence the 15 rating, without that it would likely have been a 12A. I can't remember if he says the whole thing on the Unrated version, i seem to think that despite the added poorly dubbed swearing they didn't alter the "Yippe Ki Yay" scene.
    My recollection (though I could be wrong) was that it was just audible in the original version, but hard to catch through the gunshot. In the unrated version it is very clear, this I'm sure of cause I just watched it last week.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 78
    Forum Member
    don't be surprised if this is cut for a 12a rating...
    Forum Member
    My recollection (though I could be wrong) was that it was just audible in the original version, but hard to catch through the gunshot. In the unrated version it is very clear, this I'm sure of cause I just watched it last week.

I watched the theatrical version last week (bought the Blu Ray boxset and it only contains the theatrical version unfortunately) and it literally sounds like "Yippe Ki Yay motherf*BANG*", he just starts to say the F word but then the gunshot obscures it.
    Phil Jones wrote: »
    don't be surprised if this is cut for a 12a rating...

I'd be surprised if it was, the MPAA says "Rated R for violence and language" so that implies that there's multiple uses of strong language, which depending on their frequency would nearly all need cutting out apart from one use. That said, Terminator 3 was rated R in the US and was rated 12A over here despite 3 uses of the F word and a fair bit of bloody violence, so who knows. My money is still on a 15 rating though.
  • Mr MoriartyMr Moriarty Posts: 593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    a 15 I hope - i pray it at least ain't a 12 - 4 felt WAY to watered down like a generic teen-aimed actioner
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    They just showed a trailer at the end of Film 2013 and according to the info that popped up on screen it said it was 12A.
    http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z126/gonzo1_photo/44D3C679-FDEA-4A0A-8F13-419B1FD54FBE-572-00000052CCBA77A1.jpg
    Forum Member
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    They just showed a trailer at the end of Film 2013 and according to the info that popped up on screen it said it was 12A.
    http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z126/gonzo1_photo/44D3C679-FDEA-4A0A-8F13-419B1FD54FBE-572-00000052CCBA77A1.jpg

It's not been rated by the BBFC yet so hopefully that's just a guess, although normally they put (TBC) if they don't know the rating so it could be correct. I hope it's not though, if it is a 12A over here then that means its a very soft R rating.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 411
    Forum Member
    If it's a 12A then I won't be bothering. Look what happened to Taken 2 when they cut back on all that was good about the original Taken to obtain the apparently more lucrative 12A.

The whole 12A thing is ruining adult cinema and it's time for it to stop.

Thank heavens for directors such as Tarantino that still produce adult material and will not pander to studios demands for the lesser ratings.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    dbob wrote: »
    Thank heavens for directors such as Tarantino that still produce adult material and will not pander to studios demands for the lesser ratings.

I notice that the current BBFC website front page latest releases has three 18 rated movies, V/H/S/, Django Unchained and The Wee Man, all set for release tomorrow.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 411
    Forum Member
    any update on this??
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It still hasn't been rated yet (even though it's being released in 17 days), only small featurettes and trailers have been rated and they are all 12 or 12A.

I hope this is a 15 and contains lots of swearing and blood. DH4 was a kids movie and completely sucked.

I'm also surprised they are calling it A Good Day To Die Hard instead of simply Die Hard 5, unless they are going to kill John at the end and leave things for his son to continue in Die Hard 6 <shudders>
    Forum Member
    Paddy C wrote: »
    I'm also surprised they are calling it A Good Day To Die Hard instead of simply Die Hard 5, unless they are going to kill John at the end and leave things for his son to continue in Die Hard 6 <shudders>

It's just a pun on the title, it doesn't mean that McClane is literally going to die in this one, especially since Bruce Willis has said that he'd like to do a sixth film. I much prefer 'A Good Day to Die Hard' as a title compared to if they'd just lazily called it 'Die Hard 5'. The US title for the fourth film, 'Live Free or Die Hard', was a hell of a lot better than the international title, 'Die Hard 4.0'.
  • stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    I reckon it will be a '15'. Unless - it is really violent. Nowadays it the '18' certificate is only giver for a lot more violent films.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paddy C wrote: »
    I

Maybe the villains in this one are Klingon.