Adobe Flash plug in crash in Mozilla

I encountered a problem with connection to a site. It said that my adobe flash plug in had crashed.

I understand that installing the latest version may fix this problem. However, on doing the plug in check (to the link below) I found that it shows that I am up to date although it doesn't say Adobe Flash but Shockwave Flash. (??)

Here is the link I found that details the procedure...

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/adobe-flash-plugin-has-crashed

Any thoughts? Should I update even though the plug in check says that I am up to date? Is this site/procedure given there sound or will I succumb to something unexpected/unwanted?

Comments

• irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shockwave flash is Chrome's own version of the Flash plugin. It can crash if you've got the actual adobe flash plugin also installed... it seems to get confused between the two at times. Try disabling the Shockwave flash plugin and see if that helps

For a vid detailing what to do

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFuTiFfOImk
  • DJGMDJGM Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Updating Adobe Flash won't make the slightest bit of difference unfortunately. It'll still be a buggy unstable POS.
    Even though the Mozilla Plug-in Container is supposed to prevent bad plugins from causing the entire browser
    to crash, Adobe Flash is so buggy and unstable, it still manages to bring the entire browser crashing down.

Shockwave Flash isn't Chrome's own version of the Flash plugin. The term "Shockwave Flash" harks backs to
    when Flash was a Macromedia product, and was the sibling of Macromedia Shockwave. Since Adobe bought
    out Macromedia, the Flash Player browser plugin has become more and more buggy, unstable and insecure.
    The OP's problem has nothing to do with Chrome.

Adobe Crash Player needs to die a horrible death as soon as possible.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DJGM wrote: »
    Updating Adobe Flash won't make the slightest bit of difference unfortunately. It'll still be a buggy unstable POS.
    Even though the Mozilla Plug-in Container is supposed to prevent bad plugins from causing the entire browser
    to crash, Adobe Flash is so buggy and unstable, it still manages to bring the entire browser crashing down.

Shockwave Flash isn't Chrome's own version of the Flash plugin. The term "Shockwave Flash" harks backs to
    when Flash was a Macromedia product, and was the sibling of Macromedia Shockwave. Since Adobe bought
    out Macromedia, the Flash Player browser plugin has become more and more buggy, unstable and insecure.
    The OP's problem has nothing to do with Chrome.

Adobe Crash Player needs to die a horrible death as soon as possible.

Opps.. yeah, I got those flash names mixed up. But I stll think its worth disabling one plug in if there are 2 versions of Flash installed

But agree on Flash... on Macs it is particularly bad... grabbing a lot of processor power and memory.... Its also seems to suffer from a lot of security issues.
  • amyawakeamyawake Posts: 7,846
    Forum Member
    Well I don't have 2 versions of Flash installed unless Adobe Acrobat and Shockwave Flash are the same? I have these 2....

Hmm what to do now?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nah they're not the same Acrobat reads PDF files... no video or animation rendering involved

Uninstall and reinistall. Go here to uninstall it...

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-windows.html
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    irishguy wrote: »
    But agree on Flash... on Macs it is particularly bad... grabbing a lot of processor power and memory.... Its also seems to suffer from a lot of security issues.

I've noticed that, even on my Macbook Pro with 8GB RAM! It's so annoying. And Macs aren't supposed to crash!
  • lovedoctor1978lovedoctor1978 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Happened constantly to me a couple of months back with itv player and another site or 2. No amount of updating or deleting/reinstalling helped. Then 1 day everything was fine, no problems since. All I can say is be patient and let your systems updates do thier thing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've noticed that, even on my Macbook Pro with 8GB RAM! It's so annoying. And Macs aren't supposed to crash!

YEah, Macs hate Flash. I can't even play Youtube vids on full screen on my 2008 MBP without it jerking and delaying. HTML 5 videos don't cause anywhere near that level of processor use.

I also had Flash crashing all the time up until a couple of months ago - even on my PC.... think they released a dodgy version so if you reinstall it to the newest version it might fix the issue
  • bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    doesn't help that many flash 'coders' don't actually know how to tidy up after themselves

constantly starting new processes without killing the old and the like

that's what eats memory as much as flash's inbuilt flackyness
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bspace wrote: »
    doesn't help that many flash 'coders' don't actually know how to tidy up after themselves

constantly starting new processes without killing the old and the like

that's what eats memory as much as flash's inbuilt flackyness

ISn't ActionScript managed code with a garbage collector...or is the collector not picking it up that the object is finished and ready for disposal?
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have had this for months and months it is so bad I moved to Chrome that went slow I tried IE the typing was slow so in despair I moved to Opera and have had no issues.

Mozilla is a joke the flash player was crashing every few minutes to the point of despair change browsers is the only answer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    I have had this for months and months it is so bad I moved to Chrome that went slow I
    tried IE the typing was slow so in despair I moved to Opera and have had no issues.

Mozilla is a joke the flash player was crashing every few minutes
    to the point of despair change browsers is the only answer.
    Why blame Mozilla for the bugginess of a third party plugin, especially when you've had the same problems with
    other browsers? Adobe make Flash Player, so it'll still be unstable regardless of the browser you use it with.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DJGM wrote: »
    Why blame Mozilla for the bugginess of a third party plugin, especially when you've had the same problems with
    other browsers? Adobe make Flash Player, so it'll still be unstable regardless of the browser you use it with.

I only had a flash player issue with Mozilla plus I had no choice but to have a flash player it was fine with Chrome, IE and Opera , the problem with Chrome was it slowed down the longer I used it and IE had slow typing.

So it must be mozilla's fault because it worked fine with every other browser.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    YEah, Macs hate Flash. I can't even play Youtube vids on full screen on my 2008 MBP without it jerking and delaying. HTML 5 videos don't cause anywhere near that level of processor use.

I also had Flash crashing all the time up until a couple of months ago - even on my PC.... think they released a dodgy version so if you reinstall it to the newest version it might fix the issue

Maybe it's Steve Jobs getting revenge on Adobe because he hated Flash :p He's watching us from the iCloud and crashing every Mac that has Adobe Flash installed. I'm surprised my 2010 MBP has trouble with it as it's still working really well and it has 8GB RAM in there. Yet when I boot into my Windows 7 partition and use anything with Flash on there it doesn't freeze at all :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Happens occasionally.

Ignore the arseholes who just cause chatter. Just do the update.
    Forum Member
    Well I have had adobe flash in mozilla for years...has only recently slightly played up.
    Forum Member
    Nah they're not the same Acrobat reads PDF files... no video or animation rendering involved

Uninstall and reinistall. Go here to uninstall it...

I am confused now. The plug in crash was with Adobe Flash. However, on doing the plug in check it just shows adobe acrobat and shockwave flash - both of these say they are updated. So why the crash? Is shockwave flash the same as adobe flash?

Why would I need to uninstall and reinstall rather than just update?
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I keep getting this on my windows 8 laptop when trying to listen to radio though its fine on my windows 7 PC.
    Have formatted the laptop which is much more stable and upgraded to 8.1 to but Flash still keeps crashing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Happens occasionally.

Ignore the arseholes who just cause chatter. Just do the update.
    Errr, excuse me ... that'd better not be in reference to any of my posts in this thread about updating Flash.
    Forum Member
    I would still welcome an answer to this dilemma, notably I am confused now. The plug in crash was with Adobe Flash. However, on doing the plug in check it just shows adobe acrobat and shockwave flash - both of these say they are updated. So why the crash? Is shockwave flash the same as adobe flash?

Why would I need to uninstall and reinstall (as mentioned in the above quote #18) rather than just update? Anyone???
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    There isn't really an answer I am afraid.

The Flash plugin is notoriously buggy on every browser I have tried. It slows down Chrome and IE to a crawl after a short time, sometimes requiring them to be forced closed and it crashes Firefox. It really is Adobe that need to fix it, but each time they release an update to fix one problem they seem to introduce a host of other problems.

Unfortunately, even though the death of Flash has been predicted for years, it still hangs on and is still required by a huge number of websites.

You could try a complete removal of Flash, using the Adobe tool for that purpose, and then do a fresh install of the latest version which might make it a bit more stable, but it will still crash now and again. It also seems to crash more often just after an update, but settles down a bit after a while. The reason it can sometimes help is that if you have always just updated there may be the odd config file, DLL or whatever left over from previous versions that could be making it more unstable than usual. A complete removal and reinstall can sometimes help.

For a basic overview of what Shockwave and Flash are, and the differences:
    http://www.shockwave.com/help/faq_flashplayer.jsp

The reason your plugin says Shockwave Flash is that Flash Player was probably included as part of the Shockwave plugin download when you first installed it.
    Forum Member
    Captainkremmen - wow, thanks! That's a very comprehensive, complete answer to all my concerns. Helps a lot + links.
    (By the way I loved Kenny too! ;) Very talented guy - sadly missed )