My Shih Tzu wont stop scratching and biting herself.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
Forum Member
My Shih Tzu wont stop scratching or biting herself, I've tried flea treatments and worming her,plus ive changed her diet to a health one sugested by the vet but she is still constantly doing it.Could it be a habit?.

Any surgestions on what it could be would be grateful. She dries us mad at night.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    Various options-

-She may have some kind of skin condition that flea treatments could be doing more harm that good for.. Check out her skin, is it patchy? red? lumpy? Spotty? etc?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    Various options-

-She may have some kind of skin condition that flea treatments could be doing more harm that good for.. Check out her skin, is it patchy? red? lumpy? Spotty? etc?

Yea it's red and has a scab where she has been scratching/licking on her back by the base of tail. It's not her anal glands as I keep a good check on that as she had that last year.

Just put some tea tree skin calm on the place,fingers crossed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    I would get the dog to the vet’s again, maybe bathe it in some luke warm salty water.

It’s just over the festive period a family friends dog was put down when it was biting, itching constantly, vet kept sending them home, but dog bit right through to it’s ligaments, terrible.

Apparently was dog Mrsa
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could be an allergy. You can have the dog tested for common allergens or try feeding a hypo-allergenic diet (preferably home made) and washing after walks with lukewarm water.

Could also be mange/mites, bacterial skin infection, fungal skin infection.

If mange and infection is ruled out, your vet may give steroids. These supress the immune reaction and if they work, it would suggest allergies.

Managing the symptoms - Neem Oil is good for hot spots. Oatmeal shampoo is supposed to calm the skin.

With my Crestie who had awful skin problems I found a gentle shampoo and anti-bacterial facial wash (she is hairless) best. I then used Sudocrem or Neem Oil for any scratches, spots or redness. I would then dress her in PJs or a human babygrow so she couldn't scratch herself up & get another skin infection. We also gave her Piriton (under vet supervision). We feed her either salmon & potato or duck and potato Wainrights.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    plt1964 wrote: »
    Yea it's red and has a scab where she has been scratching/licking on her back by the base of tail. It's not her anal glands as I keep a good check on that as she had that last year.

Just put some tea tree skin calm on the place,fingers crossed.

Sorry, only just noticed this bit.

What flea treatment are you using and how often?
    Forum Member
    Sorry, only just noticed this bit.

What flea treatment are you using and how often?

Thanks for the surgestions.

I tried Frontline on her, then yesterday after reading some posts on here i bought Stronghold from the vet which also does the worming as well.

Vet has also given her a bathing solution for itchy skin before.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I asked about the flea treatment as it sounded very like atopic dermatitis which is often caused by a flea allergy. But as the flea treatments you use are pretty darn good, I doubt that is it.

I would push for a diagnosis from your vet. Has he/she tested or treated for mange/mites? Not sure if Stronghold contains Ivermectin, if not there is another flea treatment that does....beggered if I can remember the name of it....will be back after a google.....

EDIT: Advocate. My vet recommended 3 treatments at 1- 2 weekly intervals. If the skin got better, it was mange, if it didn't it wasn't:rolleyes:

I *think* Stronghold has an anti-mite component, but it may take a few weeks/treatments.

BUT - rule out mange before even considering steroids if this is a route you and the vet want to take as steroids will not help mange and may make it worse.
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    can you give some more information how old is your dog? How long has this problem been for?

Have you ruled out household prodcuts such as febreeze shake and vac what do you use to wash the dogs bedding in etc?

What food was your dog on and what did your vet sugest very few allergies are food related and most vets do not really know much about canine nutrition as recommend what they get told to flog for the percentage.

Frontline and stronghold are both good flea treatments but when you used these did you spray the whole house as well to make sure it is clear of fleas?

what has your vet given her previously i would recommend giving her a good malaseb shampoo as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    My dog has FAD (Flea Allergy Dermatitis) he can be bitten once by a flea and proceed to bite and lick all the fur off of his back end. There is a cream you can get from the vets that can soothe the itch. He was given some type of steroids to stop the intense itching.
    The only thing to control it is to keep up to date with flea treatment and treat the whole house.
    Forum Member
    Thankyou all for the replys and tips.

The Stronhold does do mange/mites so hopefully with abit of time it will sort her out.

My partner has said is that where the quote (mangie old dog )
    comes from.

The food I give her is James Wellbeloved.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A decent food. But if it is a food allergy, it could be rice or chicken, a common component of many dog foods.

How old is pup and when did the scratching start? Is she spayed?
    Forum Member
    A decent food. But if it is a food allergy, it could be rice or chicken, a common component of many dog foods.

How old is pup and when did the scratching start? Is she spayed?

Yes she was spayed this year because we thought it maybe that. The vet said that she didn't think it would be that.After she was spayed it stopped for awhile.We thought because she had to wear a collar for a time that she got out of the habit.

There are a few of us here and she does beg alot,,she makes you feel right guilty,lol

She is 3 1/2 yrs now.

This is a dog that barks when people go out lol a right funny dog.Very loyal to me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know if spaying helped Buffy as we had to get her skin good to be able to spay, but hers did seem to be worse just before she came into season which is why I asked.

How long has she been like this?

With the disclaimer that I am in no way medically qualified, If it were my dog I would (and have):

Wash all bedding in a gentle, non-bio detergent with no conditioner.
    Wash the dog with an anti bacterial shampoo weekly - you may need a vet prescription.
    Wash the affected area with diluted apple vinigar then apply Sudocrem, savlon or Neem oil daily.
    Put the dog in PJs to cover the affected area.
    Use a good flea/mite regime - Stronghold or Advocate for the dog, sprays and daily hoovering for soft furnishings, curtains and carpets.
    Feed a hypo-allergenic food or at least different proteins to what you do now. Home cooked white fish, potato, carrot and green beans would be best.
    Give her dinner in Kongs to occupy and distract her.
    Ask the vet about giving Piriton. Once you have the correct dosage from the Vet you can give human Piriton - it is exactly the same stuff and cheaper.
    Any skin infections (and it sounds like she could have one now) treat with anti-biotics from the vet.

If there is no joy after 6 weeks of the above, ask for a thyroid test, allergy panel and full blood count (not cheap - do you have insurance?)

At that point you would also want to ask about steroid treatment. Your vet may be reluctant - as indeed you may be - because of the risk of Cushings. But one short course may give her some relief and you them be pretty sure it is an allergy of some sort.

Sorry for the long post:o Skin problems can have so many causes and it can be hard to pin point the cause. And it is so distressing for the dog and the owners who love them so I have tried to be as thougher as I can.
    Forum Member
    I don't know if spaying helped Buffy as we had to get her skin good to be able to spay, but hers did seem to be worse just before she came into season which is why I asked.

How long has she been like this?

With the disclaimer that I am in no way medically qualified, If it were my dog I would (and have):

Wash all bedding in a gentle, non-bio detergent with no conditioner.
    Wash the dog with an anti bacterial shampoo weekly - you may need a vet prescription.
    Wash the affected area with diluted apple vinigar then apply Sudocrem, savlon or Neem oil daily.
    Put the dog in PJs to cover the affected area.
    Use a good flea/mite regime - Stronghold or Advocate for the dog, sprays and daily hoovering for soft furnishings, curtains and carpets.
    Feed a hypo-allergenic food or at least different proteins to what you do now. Home cooked white fish, potato, carrot and green beans would be best.
    Give her dinner in Kongs to occupy and distract her.
    Ask the vet about giving Piriton. Once you have the correct dosage from the Vet you can give human Piriton - it is exactly the same stuff and cheaper.
    Any skin infections (and it sounds like she could have one now) treat with anti-biotics from the vet.

If there is no joy after 6 weeks of the above, ask for a thyroid test, allergy panel and full blood count (not cheap - do you have insurance?)

At that point you would also want to ask about steroid treatment. Your vet may be reluctant - as indeed you may be - because of the risk of Cushings. But one short course may give her some relief and you them be pretty sure it is an allergy of some sort.

Sorry for the long post:o Skin problems can have so many causes and it can be hard to pin point the cause. And it is so distressing for the dog and the owners who love them so I have tried to be as thougher as I can.

Thankyou very much for your time and effort you have gien to me.
    I will keep trying things and go to the et again in the new year.
    I need to let the stronhold take it's coarse for now as it's a new treatment.
    eliminant one thing at a time.

Not looking forward to later with the fireworks as she hates them.

Happy new Year to you all, and thanks.