Comments

• Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    I remember enjoying "The Survivor". RIP Mr. Herbert. :(
  • misha06misha06 Posts: 3,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very sad.

The first 'horror' book I picked up was 'The Rats' when I was about 10. My mum took it of me when I asked what gonorrhea was. (referenced in the first chapter or so)

After that, I got hold of 'Fluke' and the Board of book classifaction (mum) let me read that.

Eventually I got to read the Rats through, mum was definately right to take it away from a 10 year old.

For me, Fluke is the best book he wrote, with Domain running a close second.

I'm not a megafan; some his books just didn't do it for me, in terms of the storyline/plot, but he could tell a tale.

Unlike Stephen King who I find can waffle and pad things out a bit, JH made every page count.

He will be missed. RIP
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Domain and The Fog were amongst my favourites as a teenager. James Herbert will be sadly missed.
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember The Rats being serialised by a national newspaper in the mid-70s and being hooked by the adaptation. As soon as the novel came out I purchased it and have been a huge fan ever since reading all of his novels, most more than once.

Whilst I enjoyed some stories more than others the quality of the writing never wavered and his death is a sad loss to fans of horror fiction and British literature in general.
  • hornbeamhornbeam Posts: 9,483
    Forum Member
    Reminds me of holidays- packing a good read and James Herbert would always surface somewhere along the line.

RIP
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know if there will be any tribute programmes to him on tv or radio?.
  • Devon MilesDevon Miles Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    loved all his books as a teen, of his later books I think Nobody True was a masterpiece..

Shame about Ash, his last effort..

A great and unique British author..
  • David_QuintonDavid_Quinton Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    Truly gutted. His writing got me through boarding school. The Fog and The Rats, have read most multiple times. Now I have them all on my Kindle. RIP, James, you'll be missed.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stuartjk wrote: »
    Sad news. Loved reading his books over the years, always original. He has not had many of his books filmed, which helps them to remain unique (unlike Stephen King). Favourite would have to be "Domain", the third in the rats trilogy. Only book to give me nightmares!
    Thanks for the scares Mr Herbert.

My thoughts are with his family.

That was the one that really got me as a teenager. Really fitted in with my 80s Cold War nuclear paranoia...

RIP Mr Herbert. So long and thanks for all the rats.
  • SWW (SWW)SWW (SWW) Posts: 23,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great author who made a huge impact on me with his work when I was a teenager.

Rest in peace ... and sympathies to his friends and family.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,414
    Forum Member
    nhodkin147 wrote: »
    Shocked to hear this news. One of my favourite horror writers of all time. :(

James Herbert's 'The Dark' was the first horror novel I ever read as a young teenager. He inspired me to try my hand at writing my own horror stories (they were never much good, mind. :D)

A top author who will be missed. RIP James. :(

I agree with this, nhodkin147, and with your views about remakes, etc., too. The same also applies to science fiction as well as the horror genre.

There's been no end of pointless remakes like Planet of the Apes, Total Recall and so on or equally pointless sequels which are just boring plot rehashes. The sad thing is there's no shortage of original books and screenplays out there that could be turned into good films whether they be horror or science fiction films.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 151
    Forum Member
    Didn't know he was ill or as old as he was! Like many others here, I read most of his books in my teens but I am halfway through his latest (and sadly, his last) book entitled Ash. What a great legacy he has left for all literary horror fans.

RIP James Herbert.
  • BogzBogz Posts: 1,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Read all his books, huge fan. Sad news RIP
  • zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    furry_face wrote: »
    Didn't know he was ill or as old as he was! Like many others here, I read most of his books in my teens but I am halfway through his latest (and sadly, his last) book entitled Ash. What a great legacy he has left for all literary horror fans.

RIP James Herbert.

I am off to buy his latest book ASH i have all of his works. his first books, rats, the dark. the fog, were proper horror stories his last several books, have been about ghosts, and haunted houses, which IMO have not been as good..
    but what is ASH like????,
  • AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TOONARMY12 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there will be any tribute programmes to him on tv or radio?.
    I hope there will be, his demise deserves to be acknowledged, he was truly one of the greats regarding horror/supernatural fiction. I wish more of his work had been transferred to film. The Rats, The Survivor, Fluke and Haunted were made into films and The Secret Of Crickley Hall was adapted for television - but there is SO much more!

RIP Mr Herbert. I hope heaven is as you described it:) " I think Heaven is one huge ephemeral mass where we float around.”
  • SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only just heard of his passing via a trivia question on Ant & Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway of all places! :o Why did this miss the major news headlines?!

I've read all of James' books apart from his latest, Ash. It was during a low point about ten years ago that I picked up one of his books, and loved it so much that I carried on reading more. They got me through a tough time and renewed my interest in reading, which I am forever grateful for.

RIP James Herbert. You have left behind a great collection of work that will thrill readers for years to come.
  • zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am off to buy his latest book ASH i have all of his works. his first books, rats, the dark. the fog, were proper horror stories his last several books, have been about ghosts, and haunted houses, which IMO have not been as good..
    but what is ASH like????,

anyone read the book called ASH ??
  • Devon MilesDevon Miles Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    anyone read the book called ASH ??

Sad to say pretty poor and I enjoyed the 1st two in the series. Ash as in David Ash the physic investigator from the other 2 books..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 496
    Forum Member
    Sad to say pretty poor and I enjoyed the 1st two in the series. Ash as in David Ash the physic investigator from the other 2 books..

Agree with that sadly..........on the bright side most of his others were pretty damn good.
  • manickangaroomanickangaroo Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    misha06 wrote: »
    Very sad.

The first 'horror' book I picked up was 'The Rats' when I was about 10. My mum took it of me when I asked what gonorrhea was. (referenced in the first chapter or so)

Same here! Great book. Read it when I was about 15 though.