HD Channels Problem

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
Forum Member
Hi,

I have owned a Sagemcom RT190-320 T2 for several years, and whilst not an exciting or polished box it has done it's job.

As of the middle of last yearwe finally got the Freeview HD channels which have worked fine.

But over the past 48 hours the HD channels have started to play up. The picture freezes for five seconds out of every twenty and even when the pictures are 'live' the audio sync is way out. In fact there is often no audio at all on ITV HD and 4 HD

As I say this has only just started to happen. I wondered if anyone had any ideas.

My Location is Hastings and I am very close to the broadcast mast, but get a very bad signal that needs a 20db booster to get any channels at all.

My Toshiba TV also has Freeview HD built in and does not have the same problems.

Many thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Alasdair

Comments

• Marti SMarti S Posts: 5,771
    Forum Member
    What signal strength and quality do you get on the sagemcom?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Hi,

I have signal strengh of 40% and quality 98%.

As I said above I have a hefty signal booster to get any signal at all.

But up until two days ago I got the HD channels with no problem at all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    I have the same problem over the past 48 hours with freeview HD channels having lip sync problems on my Panasonic tv and recorder. I live in Hastings.
    Forum Member
    I guess it is something to do with our local transmitter. Here's hoping they fix it soon.

Many thanks for your reply, it has put my mind at rest.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    Just bought my first flat screen tele ( Samsung LED full HD) and very disappointed by lip sync problems on HD channels, BBC HD being the worst culprit, have been into settings to alter lip sync timings and it doesn't make the slightest difference, signals are full strength coming from Bilsdale transmitter North Yorks, so it looks like this lip sync problem is countrywide, come on broadcasters if you want everyone to go HD please get your transmissions right for the product you are broadcasting
  • a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    Just bought my first flat screen tele ( Samsung LED full HD) and very disappointed by lip sync problems on HD channels, BBC HD being the worst culprit, have been into settings to alter lip sync timings and it doesn't make the slightest difference, signals are full strength coming from Bilsdale transmitter North Yorks, so it looks like this lip sync problem is countrywide, come on broadcasters if you want everyone to go HD please get your transmissions right for the product you are broadcasting

It's not widespread though and not on all devices, which indicates the signal is fine, but that it's an issue with the device (otherwise we'd all have problems). Contact the manufacturer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    I'm also seeing Lipsynch problems on my 2010 Sony Bravia, all HD channels affected, SD is fine though.

And my Father's Tesco Technika digibox also shows the same problem.

Both receiving from Hastings transmitter.

Bit of a pattern here...!
    Forum Member
    Still the same problem this morning on all Freeview HD channels.
    Forum Member
    If This is a Hastings transmitter problem, does anyone know who to report this to? I am willing to make the call or send the email, but I have no idea who to contact.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Forum Member
    I have reported problem on this link: https://www.radioandtvhelp.co.uk.
    Forum Member
    Many thanks for that. I have also reported the problem.
    Forum Member
    Hi,

It seems as if the problems are resolved today. Hopefully that isan end to the matter.

Many thanks to all who helped.

Alasdair
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi,

It seems as if the problems are resolved today. Hopefully that isan end to the matter.

Many thanks to all who helped.

Alasdair
    It will only be an end to the problem if it was a transmission issue and that issue has been fixed. However I am more inclined to believe it is your box that has the problem.

In your OP you said you have a Toshiba TV which presumably is receiving from the same aerial and which has not experienced any problems?

If that is the case then it is unlikely to be a transmitter issue as any device receiving the exact same signals from the exact same transmitter should show symptoms of the problem. If however you have only one device having problems and others showing no signs of problems my first thought would be to look at the device having the problem.
  • Marti SMarti S Posts: 5,771
    Forum Member
    I would check your cable connections, I had an intermittent problem over Christmas, signal had gone really low and it was a dry joint on a soldered connector.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    I can confirm it's working fine for me on my Sony Bravia now, whereas the sound was still out of synch last night.

I've noticed another difference too - whilst the fault was present, changing channels (HD), the picture would appear first with no sound, which would come in a bit later.

Now the picture and sound appear simultaneously when changing HD channels.

I'm guessing something got rebooted at the transmitter to fix this :D

Ian