New Superman Film :: Man of Steel

MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
Forum Member
It looks like the new Superman film could be going ahead with the news that it has got a director according to Dark Horizons website:

"300" and "Watchmen" helmer Zack Snyder has been chosen to direct the relaunch of the "Superman" film franchise as Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures reports the trades.

Negotiations kicked off earlier today with Snyder who beat out the rumoured likes of Ben Affleck, Darren Aronofsky, Matt Reeves, Tony Scott and Robert Zemeckis for the gig.

General Zod is being rumoured to play the villain in the project which "The Dark Knight" director Christopher Nolan will serve as producer on, while David Goyer ("Batman Begins") is penning the script.

Emma Thomas, Charles Roven and Deborah Snyder will also produce. The project is moving quick as the studio has to be in production by next year or risk losing select copyrights to the heirs of the character's creators.

Snyder and Nolan have apparently already been in discussions and while some further script work is in the immediate future, expect this one to ramp up fast.

One possibility already shot down though is Brandon Routh returning as the Man of Steel. Snyder tells Variety that the chances of the "Superman Returns" star coming back into the fold are "unlikely" as "we're looking in another direction".

It is an interesting choice for Superman but he does have experience with comic book films!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Zod? I would have liked them to cut all ties to the previous films if they planned to reboot the character.

I must have got the wrong end of the stick too, as I thought they were going to have Nolan directing. Not that enamoured about Snyder. Can we expect more heavily CGI use as in his previous films? I hope they don't go overboard on that score as with 300, Watchmen etc.

Still, if it's been finalised all that's left to do is cross your fingers and cuddle up to your Chris Reeve DVD boxset.
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    Nolan is only producing it as he will be busy with the third Batman film. Zod is only a rumour at the moment as nothing has been confirmed about the film. I found a quote from Zack Synder from the Moviehole website:

"Zack Snyder has confirmed Fleming's report, telling said scribe ''I've been a big fan of the character for a long time, he's definitely the king of all superheroes, he's the one. It's early yet, but I can tell you that what David [Goyer] and Chris [Nolan] have done with the story so far definitely has given me a great insight into a way to make him feel modern. I've always felt he was kind of awesome. I'll finish 'Sucker Punch' and get right at it."
    Forum Member
    I love Batman, Spiderman, Hulk, Iron Man, Wonder Woman etc etc, but for me Superman has always been the main man, both in comics and on screen. I really hope to see them bring him into a modern world without making him dark in tone as is the current (somewhat boring and overdone) fashion. That's not to say he shouldn't be an imposing and sometimes threatening figure...

As I say, I remain hopeful, but thank Zod I have the big DVD boxset of all Chris Reeve's films. :D
    Forum Member
    Although im looking forward to this Superman film and I love the previous ones. Im still more of a Batman fan and it will be interesting 2012 if both the new Batman and Superman films are released around the same time!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    They are supposed to be releasing the new Superman film in the winter of 2012. The third Nolan Batman film is out in July 2012.
    Forum Member
    That would make sense but it will be good if both films are released in the same year.2012 will be a big year for superhero films with Superman,Batman and The Avengers released!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    The problem I have with Superman is that he's basically just too good a superhero. I mean, Batman isn't actually a superhero, he's just an already man in a costume. He has no super powers. Superman, on the other hand, has so many powers that I just find it hard to warm to him. He can fly, has the strength of a thousand men, x-ray vision etc... It's difficult to have a compelling 'villain' to go against him as Superman can wipe the floor easily with everyone. The only thing they can do is to give Superman a 'super' enemy, but I don't really want to see one alien fighting another one on the streets of New York. Superman is just too good, that's his problem.
  • ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    Kal_El wrote: »
    Zod? I would have liked them to cut all ties to the previous films if they planned to reboot the character.
    I must have got the wrong end of the stick too, as I thought they were going to have Nolan directing. Not that enamoured about Snyder. Can we expect more heavily CGI use as in his previous films? I hope they don't go overboard on that score as with 300, Watchmen etc.

Still, if it's been finalised all that's left to do is cross your fingers and cuddle up to your Chris Reeve DVD boxset.

I don't see it that way because Zod existed in the Superman comics long before the Donner/Lester films.The character will be re-booted along with Superman and the entire franchise. Let's face it any re-boot series would have to feature iconic things from the mythos, Lex would have to appear at some point and he's even more iconic than Zod.

I agree I don't want a new film to be tied to the old series of films, Superman Returns made that mistake, but I have no problem with the same characters being re-invented. When I watched The Dark Knight, I didn't see it tied to Burton's Batman film with Jack Nicholson's Joker, so I'd look at a new Superman movie with Zod in the same way. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DemonDan wrote: »
    Superman is just too good, that's his problem.

I was discussing the exact same thing with a mate of mine earlier today.

You cant do good action scenes because how can yuo possibly escape from Superman? He can fly at the speed of light, hes got super strength and all the other super powers he has..i dont know how you can make it entertaining. How can you possibly think hes ever going to lose.

and on the other end of the scale, hes weaker than an old lady when theres kryptonite about...so how do you get good action scenes out of him.

it will be interesting to see how they are going to work around this.
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ataraxia wrote: »

You cant do good action scenes because how can yuo possibly escape from Superman? He can fly at the speed of light, hes got super strength and all the other super powers he has..i dont know how you can make it entertaining. How can you possibly think hes ever going to lose.

and on the other end of the scale, hes weaker than an old lady when theres kryptonite about...so how do you get good action scenes out of him.

I think the only way you can make the film entertaining is by questioning his morality and constanly giving him choices to make that effect the entire world. Then humans will decided whehter they love or hate their hero.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The film isn't looking good!

Apparently Darren Aronofsky was their 1st choice for director but because he's a perfectionist he wanted the script to be perfect. Unfortunately WB couldn't wait that long and take him on as they have a deadline to meet to get the film into production, so they offered it to Zack Snyder who they knew could get the film done on time.

And David Goyer's script isn't done either with some labelling it a 'mess' and Snyder himself knows the script isn't complete.
    Forum Member
    Listentome wrote: »
    I don't see it that way because Zod existed in the Superman comics long before the Donner/Lester films...

Did he? I always presumed he was a unique creation for the Donner films. I don't recall any comics including Zod at all before the movies. Shows how much I know!
    MrSuper wrote: »
    The film isn't looking good!

Apparently Darren Aronofsky was their 1st choice for director but because he's a perfectionist he wanted the script to be perfect. Unfortunately WB couldn't wait that long and take him on as they have a deadline to meet to get the film into production, so they offered it to Zack Snyder who they knew could get the film done on time.

And David Goyer's script isn't done either with some labelling it a 'mess' and Snyder himself knows the script isn't complete.

Oh dear. Looks like this one is gonna be a stinker. And people said Singer's effort was poor...

As for Superman being too powerful...my feelings are that he has far, far more human weaknesses than Bruce Wayne or Batman. Donner really fleshed this out and made a truly human superhero, something that later comic books and movies could hang their hats on (see All Star Superman). I think the real problem for many is that he just isn't dark and scary like Bats. But that's the bit I love, and what makes him eternally more interesting. An alien who's more human than us.
    Forum Member
    I think it's a bit early to be calling the film a stinker when they have not even started filming yet.I will wait to see the film before making a judgement.Anyway it's all just rumours at the moment the only confirmed details are the director at the moment
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ataraxia wrote: »

Yep. Sums it up for me too.
    He just has too many abilities.
    Supes was never a childhood favourite because he's either invincible or Kryptonite induced jelly.
    To give Chris Reeve some credit, he tried to show some internal conflict and monologue to give him some substance.

No, my childhood favourites were always Batman and Spidey.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Brandon Routh was excellent , far better than I expected , they should stick with him . it's one of the hardest roles to cast .
    Forum Member
    Kal_El wrote: »
    Did he? I always presumed he was a unique creation for the Donner films. I don't recall any comics including Zod at all before the movies. Shows how much I know!

Oh dear. Looks like this one is gonna be a stinker. And people said Singer's effort was poor...

As for Superman being too powerful...my feelings are that he has far, far more human weaknesses than Bruce Wayne or Batman. Donner really fleshed this out and made a truly human superhero, something that later comic books and movies could hang their hats on (see All Star Superman). I think the real problem for many is that he just isn't dark and scary like Bats. But that's the bit I love, and what makes him eternally more interesting. An alien who's more human than us.

Zod first appeared in DC comics in 1961, so he was a well established character. I think most versions of Superman, whether it be the continuing comics, cartoons or Smallville have there own version of Zod, so as long as a new film brings something new to the character I will welcome seeing him. :)
  • revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's also the hugely annoying fact that all he has to do to disguise himself as a normal person is wear a pair of glasses....
  • JenzenJenzen Posts: 7,364
    Forum Member
    I thought Brandon Routh was excellent , far better than I expected , they should stick with him . it's one of the hardest roles to cast .

Routh really surprised me too. Didnt enjoy the film that much but he was really good as the man of steel, I cant really think of another actor who could do better right now :confused:
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    revolver44 wrote: »
    There's also the hugely annoying fact that all he has to do to disguise himself as a normal person is wear a pair of glasses....

he combs his hair different as well tho :p
    Forum Member

If I was writing a revised version of the Superman Mythos, I would have it that Clark's glasses were made from a Kryptonian crystal. The crystal effects humans in a way that when they see Clark, even though he is clearly the same man as Superman, they don't make the association. Sort of like a perception filter. :D
  • revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    he combs his hair different as well tho :p

Good point I take it all back :D
    Listentome wrote: »
    If I was writing a revised version of the Superman Mythos, I would have it that Clark's glasses were made from a Kryptonian crystal. The crystal effects humans in a way that when they see Clark, even though he is clearly the same man as Superman, they don't make the association. Sort of like a perception filter. :D

In the new film they should have Clark wear a 70s style 'glasses & huge nose' mask. :p
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do you know, nobody has ever mentioned the glasses thing before. Ever.
  • misterelimistereli Posts: 822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shame about Brandon Routh not coming back. He said he wanted too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    To be fair Routh's already had his chance. You can tell me it was Bryan Singer's fault, the quality of the writing of SR, etc - but Routh was dull and wooden in my opinion.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If I remember rightly, didn't they also switch the parting and colouring of Christopher Reeve's hair for Clark Kent and Superman?

Cast twins for the roles of Clark Kent and Superman. One twin could get all muscled up to play Superman and the other emaciated to play Clark Kent. Just another power to be able to change his appearance somewhat. They would also play the characters differently being two separate persons.