VuTV: New premium pay TV service on Freeview HD channel 238

a516a516 Posts: 5,241
Forum Member
I've had a press release this morning (see website) regarding VuTV, which appeared on channel 238 earlier this week:
VuTV will air on Freeview channel 238 and allow subscribers to enjoy a range of premium channels from established, well-known and valued brands. A+E Networks, Viacom International Media Networks and Turner Broadcasting are the first major broadcasters to sign up to VuTV, making channel favourites such as Comedy Central, HISTORY®,H2®Crime & Investigation Network®, Nickelodeon, Nicktoons, Nick Jr., Cartoon Network, Boomerang and Cartoonito, available to Internet-connected Freeview HD homes.

VuTV is borne out of a desire to offer consumers the opportunity to access premium content via compatible Freeview HD TVs and set-top boxes. Unlike traditional Pay TV providers, VuTV will offer these channels for a low monthly subscription with no long-term contract, providing consumers with great value and hassle-free flexibility.

I've been informed more details about the launch date and subscription pricing will be made during IBC2013.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So something similar to what Top UP TV use to provide on DTT some years ago.

If it works it could be very useful for those with suitable compatable TV's etc.
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If it works it could be very useful for those with suitable compatable TV's etc.

Will be IPTV delivery like Connect offers at the moment.
  • a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    I think its a fantastic concept, although I think it would be nice to have the VuTV channels getting their own LCNs, instead of the current trend to have loads of channels behind one channel number.
  • roadshow2006roadshow2006 Posts: 1,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is the compatible technology?
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,418
    Forum Member
    What is the compatible technology?

MHEG-IC with the streaming media extension.
  • freetoview33freetoview33 Posts: 2,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems good to me!
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems good to me!

Except it doesn't work on a lot of TV's and Set Top Boxes :mad:

See threads on Connect, The Space and the Music Channels that CH4 has.....

Bit more on it here:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/08/29/freeview_boxes_get_ip_channels_worth_watching/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    a516 wrote: »
    I think its a fantastic concept, although I think it would be nice to have the VuTV channels getting their own LCNs, instead of the current trend to have loads of channels behind one channel number.

I totally agree with you. Keep in mind though that Freeview would no longer be a fully 'free' service, or is VuTV simply a seperate service?
    Forum Member
    Except it doesn't work on a lot of TV's and Set Top Boxes :mad:

People tend to be willing to get compatible equipment in order to utilise subscription services. In this case, you just need something new-ish, not something exotic.

I don't think this will be a barrier at all, and it will be cheaper than the TUTV Anytime boxes that a lot of people seemed happy to buy for less content.
  • smoothieahoysmoothieahoy Posts: 30
    Forum Member

For IDTVs, I bet it will probably either only work on certain models/makes of TV and/or require CI+ compatibility! :(
    Forum Member
    Homers wrote: »
    I totally agree with you. Keep in mind though that Freeview would no longer be a fully 'free' service, or is VuTV simply a seperate service?
    Freeview is really just a brand to promote free-to-air digital terrestrial TV channels. The platform is really "digital terrestrial television [DTT]", and it's had pay TV on it since 2004 after a (nearly) two year gap from the end of ITV Digital.

It is a shame that devices with MHEG-IC compatibility can't have a standalone logo on equipment, rather than being hidden behind the Freeview HD standard. As a result of the current branding and marketing arrangements, consumers are told they need a Freeview HD device to receive a service that is neither free nor in HD.
    Forum Member
    For IDTVs, I bet it will probably either only work on certain models/makes of TV and/or require CI+ compatibility! :(

It will only work on the latest Freeview HD devices (most 2012 models onwards), but there's no need for a viewing card - so CI+ compatibility is not an issue.

Tip: can you already watch CCTV on channel 226? If the answer is yes, then your receiver is most likely going to be compatible with VuTV when it launches during the 4th Quarter of 2013.

It is unlikely to be made available on YouView receivers, despite these being Freeview HD devices: understandably BT and TalkTalk will want you to go to them for such extra channels.
  • misarmisar Posts: 3,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will only work on the latest Freeview HD devices (most 2012 models onwards), but there's no need for a viewing card - so CI+ compatibility is not an issue.

What technology will they use to limit access to monthly subscribers, as in the press release?
    Forum Member
    misar wrote: »
    What technology will they use to limit access to monthly subscribers, as in the press release?
    A similar technology to that already used by Vision TV Network (225), which offers several different subscription packages under one channel number.
    Once the service is ready, potential viewers will be redirected to a screen with details on how to subscribe and what to do to access the streams once they have subscribed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    whats the guessing that NowTV joins FreeviewHD using the same technology (once they have enough registered users) and sets up a VuNow tv package . seems strange that the VuTV channels are News Corp channels... just saying ! SKY by the back door! ;)
    Forum Member
    2corney wrote: »
    whats the guessing that NowTV joins FreeviewHD using the same technology (once they have enough registered users) and sets up a VuNow tv package . seems strange that the VuTV channels are News Corp channels... just saying ! SKY by the back door! ;)

NowTV/Sky is using the Roku route to get extra viewers with Freeview.

The VuTV channels announced thus far are in fact operated by Viacom (MTV, Nickelodeon, Comedy Central), Turner (CNN, Cartoon Network, Boomerang) and A+E Networks (History, H2, Bio).

And thus any speculation that any of these channels may appear on Freeview one day soon can be put to bed...!
    Forum Member
    Ahh yes but all joint ventures with sky,
  • misarmisar Posts: 3,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A similar technology to that already used by Vision TV Network (225), which offers several different subscription packages under one channel number.
    Once the service is ready, potential viewers will be redirected to a screen with details on how to subscribe and what to do to access the streams once they have subscribed.

What I meant to ask was how does it work. How does the system used by Vision TV Network (or whatever) allow them to enable display of what is (I assume) encrypted data only on specific TVs or boxes? Is the required decryption software part of the Freeview HD spec. which allows viewing of the 220 series channels?
    Forum Member
    Forum Member

Username/password authentication. The account could potentially be paired to a device, I'm not sure if Vision do that currently, but I'd expect VuTV to require that as it is more premium.
    The VuTV channels announced thus far are in fact operated by Viacom (MTV, Nickelodeon, Comedy Central), Turner (CNN, Cartoon Network, Boomerang) and A+E Networks (History, H2, Bio).

And thus any speculation that any of these channels may appear on Freeview one day soon can be put to bed...!

CNN was of course on Freeview in the past!
    Forum Member
    What I meant to ask was how does it work. How does the system used by Vision TV Network (or whatever) allow them to enable display of what is (I assume) encrypted data only on specific TVs or boxes?

It won't be encrypted. It's streamed over the Internet, so unless you have an active account the box won't be able to access the streams.
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2corney wrote: »
    Ahh yes but all joint ventures with sky,

Sky have no stake in MTV and the Turner channels.
    Forum Member
    The website is now up at http://www.vutv.com/
    You can "check your compatibility" by going to Ch238. Here it just says "coming soon".
    There's also a space to request a beta invite.
  • BizmanBizman Posts: 749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get 'coming soon' here too. On 237 it says I don't have compatible equipment, but then I knew that already !