Mass migration?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 309
Forum Member
Lost broadband early this morning (was gone when I got up at 6.30am). Spent hours talking to Pipex support (an hour to get through each time also). Was finally told that BT are doing a mass migration of 150,000 & 16,000 Pipex customers may be affected. Could be 48hrs before service resumes (working hours). I spoke to BT wholesale who knew nothing about it, also BT faults know nothing about it. I spoke to Ofcom who haven't heard about it but noted it down. They said that BT must inform ISPs if something like this is about to happen but Pipex support say they weren't informed. I don't know what to believe now & wondered if anyone else has the same problem?

Pipex have given me 1 weeks free dial up internet connection.

Regards
Clive

Comments

• psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like b**locks to me.
  • Mystic EddyMystic Eddy Posts: 3,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What exchange are you on? Could be 21CN work for the backbone link, although the ISP will have been informed of this.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    Mass migration usually means you're taken off BT's servers and placed onto an LLU one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 309
    Forum Member
    Thanks for your replies. I'm on Eltham exchange. I only found out today that Tiscali have taken over Pipex so it wouldn't surprise me if it is to do with LLU's.. something I really do NOT want.

I appreciate that outages happen but I just seem to be getting a pack of lies... just managed to log into my page at Pipex.net where it tells me under service status, that there are no outages !!! I've told them if my service isn't back by tomorrow night I'm off... not as easy as it sounds as I'm on a years contract due to upgrading my speed about 6 months ago - in my opinion they've broken the contract by their poor response today.

Dial up seems to be working ok (bit like watching paint dry!:mad: but it works! Not that it's much consolation to me right now.

Cheers again for your replies.

Regards
    Clive
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you get your service back, it might be worth checking the IP address you get. There have been reports on the ADSLGuide forums that some Pipex users have found that they now have a Tiscali IP address. In itself this shouldn't be a problem, but it might lead to changes in the reliability of the service...
  • zoundszounds Posts: 10,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "570,000 Pipex customers will soon find out what it's like to be a Tiscali customer, as the new owner is axing UK support staff in the new year in favour of its overseas outsourcers"

*ouch* I used to think of Pipex as a bit of an alternative 'rock star' ISP years ago - Now they're Tiscali!
    It's a pity.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    It's a pity so many ISPs are being taken over by the biggies (BT, Carphone Warehouse, Tiscali).
    Forum Member
    Thanks again for your replies. Well I was given a different story today ! The guy said it wasn't BT doing the migration, but themselves ! and yes I am now (apparently) on an LLU and all is working well - only it's not! Still no service here. Was told to check all my gear, etc etc in case it's a wiring error even though I lost my service on the day they switched me to LLU. Call back if still not working.... Tried for ages - couldn't get through so tried to fax them, Ha! didn't work !

I give up now and have connected to my neighbours network (with permission of course). No idea what to do next but I feel a letter to Head Office coming on. I want out.

By the way, I mentioned to the support bod that I didn't wish to have anything to do with Tiscali, and did NOT wish to pay 10p a min to call them - he said he believes it's already 10p a min! Hope not because I've spent hours on that line. The waiting time is a joke and worse thing is you get through then have to wait for the right dept, being charged the whole time - then when you do get through you get the same old story and quite honestly get nowhere.
    Very sad to see a good ISP going down the drain like this.
    I rated Pipex pretty highly until recently and since yesterday zero!

Cheers again for replies,
    Regards
    Clive
  • zoundszounds Posts: 10,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here's the interesting history:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pipex

The original company was established in 1991 and founded by Peter Dawe, originating from Unipalm, a software reseller in Cambridge, as the first commercial ISP in Britain.

It initially operated with a 64k transatlantic leased line to UUNET. One of its first customers was Demon Internet.

PIPEX rapidly expanded and formed joint ventures across Europe and Africa. Later it merged with the US ISP UUNET to form UUNET PIPEX and the Unipalm business was sold.

UUNET was subsequently taken over by Metropolitan Fiber Systems (MFS) which in turn was bought by Worldcom which later merged with MCI and was eventually rebranded MCI after emerging from Chapter 11.

MCI was bought by Verizon and is now known as Verizon Business.

The company now known as Pipex:

# October 2003 buys Pipex and takes the name
    # April 2004 buys Host Europe (owners of 123-reg)
    # August 2004 buys Nildram
    # April 2005 buys Donhost
    # October 2005 buys freedom2surf
    # March 2006 buys Caudwell Communications UK Limited (trading as Homecall, now rebranded to Pipex Homecall) including "Switch2"
    # August 2006 buys Supanetwork Limited (trading as Supanames) for £2.1 million in cash
    # September 2006 buys Toucan
    # September 2006 buys the customer base of Bulldog Broadband
    # March 2007 appoints UBS to investigate its strategic options, which could include a sale of the Company
    # July 2007 Tiscali accounces it will acquire the Pipex Broadband and Voice division for £210 million
    # September 2007 Tiscali completes acquisition of all consumer broadband and voice businesses from Pipex
    # September 2007 Pipex seeks buyer for remaining assets
  • Ripper666Ripper666 Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    I'm another one of the ones who's net died magically at the same time as the migration.

Spoke to tech support eventually, 1st one said all the stuff about checking the gear, even said to remove the front of the bt box and try the test socket. Did everything he said, still no luck so called back.

This time I got through to someone who had more than half a brain. He told me my router was connected (which is what the router said, it just always stalled at 'Initialize LCP') but wanted to check the settings. I was told to change to PPPoA on basic settings and for DNS, select 'use these servers' , for Primary DNS use 80.225.252.186 and Secondary DNS use 80.225.252.178. Was then told to make sure ADSL settings were VC Based with 0,38 and then into my WAN setup and change the MTU Size to 1500. Tried it all, rebooted the router and it's been fine since. He did say it was because of going to LLU (didn't use that exact term) and it was causing problems with settings.

Might be worth trying those setting to see what happens.
    Forum Member
    Thanks very much for your reply. I was told exactly the same as they told you and I did alter everything as they suggested (while speaking on the phone to them). However I am printing off your message and will double check everything against mine.
    They have finally escalated the problem now and I'm supposed to hear within 24hrs (which will be 5pm tonight). Somehow I doubt anything will change :-( but here's hoping. I'll check those figures again now.. cheers for that.

Glad yours is back up by the way.

Regards
    Clive
    Forum Member
    Checked all the settings, - they were as told to me by one of the tech bods, but seems I still have no broadband to my house. The router doesn't actually have the broadband light on so it's looking like it is a fault at the exchange since the LLU capers. I can't really see BT sorting this out any time soon, so not sure why Pipex said to allow 24hrs!

Thanks again for your post,
    Regards
    Clive
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Worth noting that if you have been LLU'd and wish to move to a non-LLU provider in the future you will have to request a Cease and Re-provide migration via a Mac code isn't possible from LLU to IPSTREAM yet
  • Ripper666Ripper666 Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    Shame your net is still down. I've been with pipex since self install broadband started back in the 512k days, took part in the 1mb and 2mb trials and everything used to be great, back in the good old days.

The ironic thing is that i'm moving house next month, rent this one and buying the new one. They've done all this and i'll be gone from them soon. Will not be signing up to pipex at the new house, this is my second outage in 3 weeks, last time was just a day then came back up. The packages they have now just don't suit anything i'd want and I would never go with a company that had any involvement with Tiscali. Used to have dialup with Worldonline and Tiscali bought them, service went from good and reliable to a complete joke in weeks and billing was all over the place. Tiscali coming in is a sign of when to leave.

Hope they get you sorted out soon, this whole situation has been one big mess up from them.