Underrated Horror films...

Comments

• Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pontypool?

Sorry but I thought that was dreadful. A couple of guys sat in a radio studio talking to callers while all the action goes on outside (not filmed).

The nearest we get to fear is a skirmish in a corridor! Frankly, I found this film extremely boring, cheaply made and not scary one bit!

Must have cost $50 to make.
  • theshadowtheshadow Posts: 731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another vote for Silent Hill. Hugely atmospheric and Pyramid Head came across as terrifying in the movie.

Also another vote for Aprils Fools day. 80's horror done scooby doo style. Great fun, some good scares, lots of twists and turns. Try find this one. You won't be disappointed!
  • AchtungAchtung Posts: 10,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mr.Burns wrote: »
    I think one of the most underrated Horror films is The Strangers. Tense, brutal, and a very good ending. (imho)

Any more?

Is that the film where people bang really loud on the door then run off like playing knicky-knocky-I-do?
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Funhouse.

Haven't seen this for a long long time but I remember it being quite good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    Candyman
    Im a big horror fan and its only this one thats stuck with me, I still would never say candyman 5 times in the mirror- just in case :o
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Great one on right now - ITV4 11.15 - 1.10 - The Horror Of Frankenstein.

Starring Ralph Bates, a very handsome (underused) Jon Finch and a gorgeous young Kate O'Mara.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 331
    Forum Member
    The Messengers
  • .Kooky..Kooky. Posts: 620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Session 9
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 476
    Forum Member
    session 9
    watched it years ago when i was a big horror movie fan. dont know why it popped into my head today. no way would i be able to watch again. just cant do horror movies anymore would feel sick :-(
  • KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    This is going to get loads of hate but I love Thirteen Ghosts *remake* and the remake of House on Haunted Hill.

Both excellent and underrated horror flicks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    mr.Burns wrote: »
    I think one of the most underrated Horror films is The Strangers. Tense, brutal, and a very good ending. (imho)

Any more?

i need to watch it again as i forgot what happened at the end
  • intruder2kintruder2k Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    The Strangers is pitiful, go watch the French film it's based on for real scares. It's called Ils (English translation: Them).
  • ruddigerruddiger Posts: 2,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    intruder2k wrote: »
    The Strangers is pitiful, go watch the French film it's based on for real scares. It's called Ils (English translation: Them).

It is not based on ILS. :p
    Forum Member
    ruddiger wrote: »
    It is not based on ILS. :p

The two films are too similar in mood/look/feel/story for the scriptwriter/director not to have seen the other one beforehand ;)
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    The two films are too similar in mood/look/feel/story* for the scriptwriter/director not to have seen the other one beforehand ;)
    * Rubbish. They may have surface similarities, but are markedly different in other ways.

That The Strangers takes place after a failed marriage proposal - something which has consequence right from the start and especially at the end - is something many don't seem to have bothered to notice.
  • Hugh JarseHugh Jarse Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    Black Christmas (original version).
    Frontiers.
    Inside - best not to watch if you're pregnant.
    I Saw The Devil - more of a revenge thriller than horror maybe, but what a revenge thriller & plenty of the old ultra-violence for gorehounds to enjoy.
    Switchblade Romance.
    Theatre of Blood - Vincent Price at his very best.
    The Mist.
    Visitor Q - probably Takashi Miike's maddest film & that's saying something, and not one to watch when you're eating.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 476
    Forum Member
    identity
  • yorkieUKyorkieUK Posts: 2,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Buried is very good in my humble opinion:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1462758/

Horror or thriller? Not sure really but do not watch if you are scared of confined spaces! :)
  • David_HillDavid_Hill Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leprechaun, very cheesy but still fun to watch.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

:rolleyes: How is it pitiful? Some find Ils scary and some find The Strangers equally scary as it was inspired by "real scares".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helter_Skelter_(book))
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Keddie_Murders

Films that feature home invasion are crowd-pleasers. Funny Games. Manhunter. The Hand That Rocks the Cradle. Straw Dogs. Hider in the House. Inside. Fatal Attraction. Panic Room.
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »
    :rolleyes: How is it pitiful? Some find Ils scary and some find The Strangers equally scary as it was inspired by "real scares".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helter_Skelter_(book))
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Keddie_Murders

Films that feature home invasion are crowd-pleasers. Funny Games. Manhunter. The Hand That Rocks the Cradle. Straw Dogs. Hider in the House. Inside. Fatal Attraction. Panic Room.

How do I find it pitiful? I hate the script. It tries to turn nothing happening into an art form. The attempts to build atmosphere are overly obvious. As with lots of modern horror films, there's a reliance on loud noises on the soundtrack to make the audience jump, which I find dull. The characters are vapid, and the twist regarding the identity of the villains made me chuckle, which I'm not sure was the intent.

It goes without saying this is all my opinion, right?

I watched The Strangers, hated it, saw Them and loved it, so I thought I'd spread the word about a decent, possibly less well known movie :)

Thanks for the list of home invasion movies, I do like this genre. Will watch out for a couple of the ones I haven't seen. Didn't like Panic Room, though (not up to Fincher's usual standard), haven't seen the original Funny Games but I saw the American one with Tim Roth, hated that too (found the playing around with the structure of the film pretentious) :p

Some others include Mother's Day with Rebecca De Mornay (done by the Saw guys, so quite nasty) and both Last Houses on the Left. I may be one of the few people who enjoyed the remake. A highly unpleasant Italian one, House on the Edge of the Park, which I've never had the balls to watch. A recent Spanish film on the same theme, Kidnapped, has garnered good reviews but there doesn't seem to have been a UK release as yet...
  • Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wrong Turn 5 (2012).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2375779/

I don't know why this movie gets such a low rating. Just 4/10. I mean, let's face it, most modern horror is throwaway pap. This on the other hand was rather different from the other Wrong Turns. Least the director decided to do something more interesting than teenagers lose their way and get killed by mutants.

The end is rather distasteful but hey, this is horror, right. :D

I enjoyed the film and I don't care what anyone else thinks so there. :D I give it 8/10 for sheer entertainment.
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not a big horror fan, but one of the few I watched and really enjoyed in recent years was the remake of The Crazies.

I never really rated the original, not one of Romero's best for me and not what I would consider a classic.

Which made it easier or me to enjoy the remake. I love the slow build up of tension, the strange little things that start to happen, the odd behaviour of the townspeople.

And some of the 'atrocities' perpertrated by seemingly ordinary townsfolk carry a genuine sense of shock in that 'How could they?' kind of way. Plus the consiracy element, government, army etc keeps thi gs interesting, and it has a good sense of scale, particularly when everything falls apart.

The scene with the bloody pitchfork being slowly dragged along a marble floor is a very powerful and scary image.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    David_Hill wrote: »
    Leprechaun, very cheesy but still fun to watch.

was that the one that had a very young jennifer aniston in
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watch The Crazies - bloody excellent