Broadchurch - ITV Drama Series

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 705
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm really looking forward to watching this new drama, as not only does it star two of my favourite actors (David Tennant and Olivia Coleman), but it was filmed in a small seaside town which I visit regularly.

Here's the Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-f5DNUF2CFc

According to the trailer, it's expected to air sometime in March :D

Comments

• Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EEFanatic wrote: »
    I'm really looking forward to watching this new drama, as not only does it star two of my favourite actors (David Tennant and Olivia Coleman), but it was filmed in a small seaside town which I visit regularly.

Here's the Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-f5DNUF2CFc

According to the trailer, it's expected to air sometime in March :D

Thanks for that.

I seem to have been waiting for this to air forever. I wish they'd get on with it!

It has two of my favourite actors; David Tennant and Arthur Darvill. :)
  • catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooh, Andrew Buchan's in it!
  • nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    I'm looking forward to this - I actually accidentally wondered on to the set last August when in Clevedon, near Bristol - they'd converted one of the shopfronts in Hill Road into the exterior of a newspaper office (I think the sign read Broadchurch Echo). I didn't see any of the stars though.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,512
    Forum Member
    Cannot wait either :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really looking forward to this too - thanks for the trailer. Looks good.
  • the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks awful - with typically British (same as American) overwrought acting; you can see that even with the mother screaming and shouting in the trailer. :rolleyes: They need to learn from the Scandinavians (The Killing series 1) re. how to portray a family dealing with a child's/teenager's death. In The Killing 1, the mother and father are shown to be quietly grieving and traumatised but it's even more powerful for that. The dad discovers his daughter's body has just been found, and then the mum hears that down the phone - here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8UKDoXM6MI

Less is more sometimes.

I see ITV has gone the whole hog and used a corny song on the trailer to make it just that bit more vomit-inducing. The trouble with watching the Nordic subtitled dramas on BBC4 is that you can't appreciate British shows afterwards 'cause they seem inferior to the Nordic ones. We hardly produce anything subtle or nuanced anymore - it just has to hit you over the head. I guess we have become too Americanised.

And are we meant to buy the very 'Thespian-ish' Tennant as a hard-boiled cop? Sorry the beard doesn't really do it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It looks awful - with typically British (same as American) overwrought acting; you can see that even with the mother screaming and shouting in the trailer. :rolleyes: They need to learn from the Scandinavians (The Killing series 1) re. how to portray a family dealing with a child's/teenager's death. In The Killing 1, the mother and father are shown to be quietly grieving and traumatised but it's even more powerful for that. The dad discovers his daughter's body has just been found, and then the mum hears that down the phone - here:

Less is more sometimes.

I see ITV has gone the whole hog and used a corny song on the trailer to make it just that bit more vomit-inducing. The trouble with watching the Nordic subtitled dramas on BBC4 is that you can't appreciate British shows afterwards 'cause they seem inferior to the Nordic ones. We hardly produce anything subtle or nuanced anymore - it just has to hit you over the head. I guess we have become too Americanised.

And are we meant to buy the very 'Thespian-ish' Tennant as a hard-boiled cop? Sorry the beard doesn't really do it.

Well, each to their own. :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :)

Less is more sometimes.

It does it for me. ;):D

I assume you won't be watching, then? I don't watch the Scandinavian dramas, because I don't like them, and therefore don't post on their threads.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently it starts on Monday 4th March 2013. :D
  • CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EEFanatic wrote: »
    Apparently it starts on Monday 4th March 2013. :D

Oh God. Don't think I can stand another three weeks of that bloody trailer with that awful song by that whiney singer! It's on EVERY ad break!!! Was watching ITV2 last night and it came in, switched over to ITV and it came on there!!!! It's serious putting me off wanting to watch as I'm so annoyed by it. I can't remember a show being so heavily trailed. What with Tennant popping up on my phone screen every time I open DS, I never want to see him again!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Creamtea wrote: »
    Oh God. Don't think I can stand another three weeks of that bloody trailer with that awful song by that whiney singer! It's on EVERY ad break!!! Was watching ITV2 last night and it came in, switched over to ITV and it came on there!!!! It's serious putting me off wanting to watch as I'm so annoyed by it. I can't remember a show being so heavily trailed. What with Tennant popping up on my phone screen every time I open DS, I never want to see him again!

I never see it! It's not fair! (Maybe I should watch more ITV).:(
  • CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never see it! It's not fair! (Maybe I should watch more ITV).:(

I should probably watch less! :D Seriously, it's on when ever I have ITV (which ever number) on. I know that bloomin' song off by heart now!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was really looking forward to sit down and watching this, but I'm away for the week :( Ah well, just have to Sky + it :D
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Creamtea wrote: »

He must be pig sick he cannot break into American tv like his other DW companions, :D
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm really looking forward to seeing this
  • SazzybluegirlSazzybluegirl Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    Me to can't wait.
  • Killary45Killary45 Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I rarely watch ITV, so I have never seen the trailer, but I heard a preview on Front Row.

The obvious comparison is The Killing - the Danish series shown on BBC 4 - which dealt with the murder of a child, and took 20 episodes to resolve this one murder. This is only 8 weeks, but if it is nearly as good as The Killing it will be the best thing on ITV for a very long time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,852
    Forum Member
    Looking forward to seeing Olivia Coleman. Great actress.
  • doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    Apparently this and Mayday on the BBC have the same themes and were made by the same production company, and both shown in the same week, so much for variety.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to a snippet I read in the paper, the woman police person's son is the victim's best friend.

Which makes me wonder:
    1) would she be allowed to be on the investigating team?
    2) why is her son the victim's best friend? Could it be he becomes a main suspect... or even the killer?
  • ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    doom&gloom wrote: »
    Apparently this and Mayday on the BBC have the same themes and were made by the same production company, and both shown in the same week, so much for variety.

ITV demanded that Broadchurch be brought forward in their schedule. So you know who to blame for tomorrow night's clash. Beyond stupid, frankly ... :rolleyes:
  • DODS11DODS11 Posts: 2,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't going to watch it until I found out Olivia Colman was in it. That's made me a bit more interested.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    I went to a BAFTA screening of Broadchurch episode one with no prior knowledge or expectations (the trailers hadn't started, then).

I was captivated from start to finish, didn't want it to end, and am still thinking about what episode two will reveal. Having seen the first MayDay tonight, in my view there is no comparison with regard to acting-plot-dramatic tension - Broadchurch wins.

Looking forward to seeing what others think.
  • mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    Can they not come up with a better storyline. These detective dramas have been done to death. Dragging it out for 8 weeks, bet its slow as hell. Plus there one on the beeb with just about the same premiss.
    Where are the ideas.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I went to a BAFTA screening of Broadchurch episode one with no prior knowledge or expectations (the trailers hadn't started, then).

I was captivated from start to finish, didn't want it to end, and am still thinking about what episode two will reveal. Having seen the first MayDay tonight, in my view there is no comparison with regard to acting-plot-dramatic tension - Broadchurch wins.

Looking forward to seeing what others think.
    That's great to know :)
This discussion has been closed.