Pixie lott what went wrong?

egghead1egghead1 Posts: 4,782
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Her first two albums went platinum and Gold her 3rd has scraped in at No 15 today. Her first single from this album hit dizzy heights of No9 the next one Lay Me down didnt chart.

Too long away?Bad songs?What went wrong?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    This album has actually peaked higher than its predecessor (#17) but both look terrible next to her debut Platinum album...

I do think poor single choices this era is too blame...Nasty just wasn't good enough, I'm surprised that Lay Me Down couldn't garner AirPlay because it's an excellent Summer track?! But then you look at her last album which had arguably her biggest single as it's debut but still did poorly...

I wonder if she will be dropped or if her record label will be happy with #15 ... She's said in twitter she is delighted with the chart... What do ye think?
  • StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lay Me Down should've been the lead single.

But also, Pixie Lott has always been a bit of a C-list British popstar, hasnt she? This is no offence to her, but she's never seemed to have a particularly big loyal following or a particular sound she's stuck to which would maybe have helped in developing a following.

Don't know how active she is on social media or in the papers/tabloids because I'm not a big fan of hers, does anyone know? I'd imagine if she was about a lot and doing red carpets and wearing designer frocks she'd have a bit more attention.

Has she done any promo? Graham Norton or Loose Women or This Morning or anything? Even I who tend to try and keep up with music didnt have an idea her album was out this week, I've not seen any ads for it, so that probably hasn't helped.

Finally, Pixie Lott's target market on the last album seemed to be kids and young teens (I remember she was featured on a kids tv show around that time as a plot point, the wee girl was going to see a Pixie Lott gig)...so maybe they've just moved on. Again this is no offence, but markets shift, and as you get older, something you once liked, especially as a teenage person, you can suddenly be mortified you ever liked and really distance yourself from. I remember doing that with Avril Lavigne who suddenly became very 'uncool' - not ashamed to admit I like her now though!

So yeah to sum up she released a comeback track (Nasty) that sold well on the strength of being a comeback and her doing promo, and has released a further single that seems to have flopped/no-one seems to know about (I found it on Spotify), that sounds kinda club-worthy but doesnt seem to be played in clubs, and has now released an album and may or may not have done promo for that, if someone can set me right there. Album's not going to sell well without at least one of promo, tv appearances, festival appearances or a large loyal fanbase, so if its charting at #15 that's the reason why, she's maybe lacking one of those.

Having said that #15's not bad and shows there are still definitely some people out there who like and follow her stuff. Getting to release three albums is still good stuff for someone who seems to not have much of a musical identity!
  • vkmaxvkmax Posts: 3,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The same thing as with most artists. If you aren't a MEGA star then you need to ride that wave until you're established enough to be taking gaps between releases (see Leona, Alexandra Burke, Shayne Ward, The Wanted, The Saturdays)
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    Lay Me Down should've been the lead single.

But also, Pixie Lott has always been a bit of a C-list British popstar, hasnt she? This is no offence to her, but she's never seemed to have a particularly big loyal following or a particular sound she's stuck to which would maybe have helped in developing a following.

Don't know how active she is on social media or in the papers/tabloids because I'm not a big fan of hers, does anyone know? I'd imagine if she was about a lot and doing red carpets and wearing designer frocks she'd have a bit more attention.

Has she done any promo? Graham Norton or Loose Women or This Morning or anything? Even I who tend to try and keep up with music didnt have an idea her album was out this week, I've not seen any ads for it, so that probably hasn't helped.

Finally, Pixie Lott's target market on the last album seemed to be kids and young teens (I remember she was featured on a kids tv show around that time as a plot point, the wee girl was going to see a Pixie Lott gig)...so maybe they've just moved on. Again this is no offence, but markets shift, and as you get older, something you once liked, especially as a teenage person, you can suddenly be mortified you ever liked and really distance yourself from. I remember doing that with Avril Lavigne who suddenly became very 'uncool' - not ashamed to admit I like her now though!

So yeah to sum up she released a comeback track (Nasty) that sold well on the strength of being a comeback and her doing promo, and has released a further single that seems to have flopped/no-one seems to know about (I found it on Spotify), that sounds kinda club-worthy but doesnt seem to be played in clubs, and has now released an album and may or may not have done promo for that, if someone can set me right there. Album's not going to sell well without at least one of promo, tv appearances, festival appearances or a large loyal fanbase, so if its charting at #15 that's the reason why, she's maybe lacking one of those.

Having said that #15's not bad and shows there are still definitely some people out there who like and follow her stuff. Getting to release three albums is still good stuff for someone who seems to not have much of a musical identity!

She has been a main story (Sometimes 2 or 3) on the daily mail site for the last couple of weeks, But she just isn't interesting enough to make it
  • AndrxwAndrxw Posts: 10,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This album has actually peaked higher than its predecessor (#17) but both look terrible next to her debut Platinum album...

Yes it peaked higher, but according to music week (which is given information from the charts company) this album sold only 3,000 while her last album sold 18,000 in its first week. Obviously that's because her last album was out in November, when sales are a lot higher, but still.
  • Removed_User2Removed_User2 Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    Obvious what went wrong... should have changed her look more, and hair color

AHAHA ok seriously now, she is very interesting imo
    shes too pop princess like, and that got boring
    the only 2 songs that i enjoy from her are "mama do" and "its all about tonight" but i got bored fast
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1990760

This thread already has a similar discussion and content.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No development in her music (what happened to the motown album she confirmed she was doing back in 2012)
    Her vocals don't sound very good
    Barely seen any promo for the new album
    Nasty was a crap song to begin the era. The original version of Xtina and Cee-lo was crap as well.

Without sounding picky, but her debut never went platinum. It went triple. Which is even harder for her to ever manage again.

She's become like another Natasha bedingfield. No one cares anymore. Natasha just trumps Pixie in having US success.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No development in her music (what happened to the motown album she confirmed she was doing back in 2012)
    Her vocals don't sound very good
    Barely seen any promo for the new album
    Nasty was a crap song to begin the era. The original version of Xtina and Cee-lo was crap as well.

Without sounding picky, but her debut never went platinum. It went triple. Which is even harder for her to ever manage again.

She's become like another Natasha bedingfield. No one cares anymore. Natasha just trumps Pixie in having US success.

She's a blonde, less overtly sexual, less experimental Katy Perry in many ways.

Natasha Bedingfield married a billionaire businessman, did she not? I can see why that might give her less reason to tour intensively and spend hours travelling to promote a new single or album.
  • qwerty_1234qwerty_1234 Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's face it, she's boring. Her music doesn't set the world alight, her new material isn't particularly amazing and nobody really would describe themselves as a fan of her - she's more of a casual listening artist IMO.

I always thought she was remarkably lucky to strike it as big as she did - she didn't ever stand out to me as an amazing popstar and I was so shocked when "Mama Do" ended up #1.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's face it, she's boring. Her music doesn't set the world alight, her new material isn't particularly amazing and nobody really would describe themselves as a fan of her - she's more of a casual listening artist IMO.

I always thought she was remarkably lucky to strike it as big as she did - she didn't ever stand out to me as an amazing popstar and I was so shocked when "Mama Do" ended up #1.

She's window dressing. Good dancer, pretty to look at but not an outstanding singer but not willing to sell herself in the sexy stakes like arguably less talented but more successful artists like Nicki Minaj, Miley Cyrus and Rihanna. She has a voice that can be high pitched but oddly hoarse as well, much like Katy Perry. However if you're singing suggestive songs and then getting shy when Keith Lemon chats you up in character, it just rings hollow and inconsistent.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I'm a Pixie fan. I first became aware of her when she was a support act on The Saturdays' first tour. She was at the London show. Her debut album (and the re-release) was brilliant but her second album was a bit lacklustre bar a few songs. I haven't listened to the new album enough to have an opinion on it. I like Nasty but I really think Lay Me Down should have been the lead single.