Cheesecake without gelatine

PuddleduckPuddleduck Posts: 1,295
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I want to make a Baileys cheesecake (it was one of the recipes on Come Dine With Me and it got rave reviews) but there is no gelatine in the recipe. I've never made a cheesecake without it, will it really set? Will it be more like mousse? The recipe calls for cream cheese, double cream and caster sugar, just doesn't seem to be anything in there to make it set

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the cream cheese sets it. Also I think recipes usually ask for the double cream to whisk it. When you mix it all together the mixture is more solid than you think it will be.

I make all cheesecakes using cream cheese as I am ati gelatine (vegegie) and I can never get it to work
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I've made plenty of cheese cakes and not used gelatine.

You can use cream cheese and not bake it and it still sets.

I make a lovely passion fruit one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    Wot the above two said :)

It'll be fab.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,481
    Forum Member
    Wot the above two said :)

It'll be fab.

And fattening!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    And fattening!

Oh yes, for sure ! But hey, a little of what you fancy every now and again .... :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Puddleduck wrote: »
    I want to make a Baileys cheesecake (it was one of the recipes on Come Dine With Me and it got rave reviews) but there is no gelatine in the recipe. I've never made a cheesecake without it, will it really set? Will it be more like mousse? The recipe calls for cream cheese, double cream and caster sugar, just doesn't seem to be anything in there to make it set

hey,

I'm a vegan and I've sometimes had yummy "cheese" cakes made with tofu. With a very firm texture, which is nothing like mousse.

I don't know if it tastes like the real thing as I never could stand dairy products even before I became vegan.
  • Ellie666Ellie666 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    beautiful with low fat cream cheese and splenda
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    not sure what cheese you are using, but whipped mascarpone, mixed with whipped cream will work as well.