Actors who deserve more fame than they have:

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 201
    Forum Member
    His performance in Chilrden of Earth was incredible too totally heartbreaking.
    Ellef wrote: »
    Thirding Peter Capaldi, who was also excellent in series 2 of The Hour. I suspect that his rather unconventional looks may have prevented him getting leading roles when he was younger, but he's really coming into his own now.

I didn't see Children Of Earth but heard great reviews of it, and am currently watching The Hour as managed to somehow miss that too!
    I have to disagree with the unconventional looks though, I think he was beautiful when younger and he's not half bad now. :p
    konebyvax wrote:
    Paddy Considine. Truly chilling performance in Dead Man's Shoes and amazing directorial debut in Tyrannosaur.

Can't believe I forgot Paddy C, Dead Man's Shoes is one of my favourite ever films. The scene when he's just talking to Gary Stretch still has me tensing up every time I watch it.
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Ollie_h19 wrote: »
    Mark Heap from Spaced, Friday Night Dinner and Green Wing. Very underrated.

Mark Heap, and Kevin Eldon from Big Train, both underrated.

Nearly everyone on Big Train was underrated, apart from Simon Pegg who is very overrated (but OK) IMO.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really hate it when perfectly good actors become typecast. Ingrid Pitt was always seen as some kind of female vampire and couldn't get many roles outside of thrillers and horror films, even though she was trained by Berthold Brecht's theatre company, and Katy Manning, again quite capable, will forever be seen as Jo Grant and has found roles quite difficult to find.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dennis C wrote: »
    Mercedes McNab - totally nailed the comedy role of Harmony in Buffy and in Angel. Tons more talent than Jennifer Aniston who reprises Rachel from Friends over and over again in her films!

She's the daughter of Bob McNab, a member of the Arsenal Double-winning side of 71
    Glenn A wrote: »
    I really hate it when perfectly good actors become typecast. Ingrid Pitt was always seen as some kind of female vampire and couldn't get many roles outside of thrillers and horror films, even though she was trained by Berthold Brecht's theatre company, and Katy Manning, again quite capable, will forever be seen as Jo Grant and has found roles quite difficult to find.

Another example would be Anton Diffring who regularly turned up as a Nazi in British war films of the 50s, 60s and 70s
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    She's the daughter of Bob McNab, a member of the Arsenal Double-winning side of 71

Another example would be Anton Diffring who regularly turned up as a Nazi in British war films of the 50s, 60s and 70s

Actually Diffring had a reasonable career in horror, but his most memorable roles are playing SS officers, ironic as he hated the Nazis and fled the country. Also one who seemed to fizzle out early on was Pamela Franklin, best known for Miss Jean Brodie, became reasonably successful in horror films for a while and then vanished. Angela Pleasance, who had the look of her father, could have gone far as well.
  • FashionFashion Posts: 5,017
    Forum Member
    Actress Michelle Williams, been in quite a few independent films and really thought starring in 'My Week With Marilyn' would've finally got her recognition. Not knocking Meryl Streep's acting abilities but Michelle was robbed, playing Mrs. Thatcher isn't exactly challenging since comedians manage it with ease.
  • katmobilekatmobile Posts: 10,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dennis C wrote: »
    Mercedes McNab - totally nailed the comedy role of Harmony in Buffy and in Angel. Tons more talent than Jennifer Aniston who reprises Rachel from Friends over and over again in her films!

On the subject of the Buffy/Angel verse - whatever happened to James Marsters and Alexis Denisof - why did they never get the work after Angel folded? Totally unfair!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Olivia Coleman. Not being nominated for the BAFTA and Oscar for Tyrannosaur was a travesty
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    Blah123 wrote: »
    Olivia Coleman. Not being nominated for the BAFTA and Oscar for Tyrannosaur was a travesty

This. What a spellbinding performance she gave in this film. As did Peter Mullan, incidentally.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jensen Ackles.
  • NoWireHangersNoWireHangers Posts: 909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amanda Donohoe.... She's really rather good
  • rachelgatarachelgata Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fizzbin wrote: »
    Mark Heap, and Kevin Eldon from Big Train, both underrated.

Nearly everyone on Big Train was underrated, apart from Simon Pegg who is very overrated (but OK) IMO.

I have to agree with this. He's a brilliantly talented comic actor and while a lot of people would know his face on TV, I bet relatively few could name him.
  • PamthehoundPamthehound Posts: 5,333
    Forum Member
    Three who must be mentioned are;

Cairan Hinds, Dervla Kerwin and Claire Goose
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 79,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fashion wrote: »
    Actress Michelle Williams, been in quite a few independent films and really thought starring in 'My Week With Marilyn' would've finally got her recognition. Not knocking Meryl Streep's acting abilities but Michelle was robbed, playing Mrs. Thatcher isn't exactly challenging since comedians manage it with ease.

Michelle has been Oscar nominated 3 times, hasn't she? Hardly underrated:D
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    Paddy Considine. Truly chilling performance in Dead Man's Shoes and amazing directorial debut in Tyrannosaur. And great in Arctic Monkeys' 'Leave before The Lights Come On' :D

Yes, with knobs on.. He is BRILLIANT.
  • The Lost BoyThe Lost Boy Posts: 1,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stephan Graham anyone? Fantastic in Boardwalk Empire, This Is England and lots of little rollls to.

Agree with you on Graham.

Also Jack O'Connell.

When it comes to playing bad boys, these two are up there.
  • FashionFashion Posts: 5,017
    Forum Member
    Michelle has been Oscar nominated 3 times, hasn't she? Hardly underrated:D
    Losing to someone else playing a has-been politician, my definition of robbed. Being nominated isn't quite winning :)
  • AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    katmobile wrote: »
    On the subject of the Buffy/Angel verse - whatever happened to James Marsters and Alexis Denisof - why did they never get the work after Angel folded? Totally unfair!

James has been working pretty steadily - some of it voice work and guest turns, but not on anything that seems to be really big.

Alexis appears to be the same, although he is doing a star turn in Joss's Much Ado.
  • monrosemonrose Posts: 518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PheebShirl wrote: »
    Christina Ricci- looked like she was going to be big but has faded a bit in recent years
    Jennifer Connelly- beautiful and talented actress
    Jennifer Jason Leigh- very versatile and little known
    Lori Petty- looked like she was going to be big in the 90s (Point Break, A League of their own, Free Willy) but than Tank Girl ruined it for her
    Thora Birch- looked set for big things after Ghost World and American Beauty and squandered her success on rubbish
    Mira Sorvino
    Vinessa Shaw
    Martha Plimpton - great in everything she has done but not conventionally attractive enough to be a leading lady
    Karen Allen- so good in Raiders of the Lost Ark and Scrooged
    Phoebe Cates- sort of her own fault for retiring but she was great in the 80s

Correct me if I'm wrong but did Mira Sorvino win an Oscar back in the 90s? Also, Martha Plimpton is in the TV show Raising Hope
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    Jodhi May without a doubt, what an amazing and intriguing actress
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 79,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    monrose wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong but did Mira Sorvino win an Oscar back in the 90s? Also, Martha Plimpton is in the TV show Raising Hope

Yes, Mira won Best Supporting Actress for her role in the Woody Allen film "Mighty Aphrodite" (always a good chance of winning an Oscar, appearing in an Allen film. Along with playing a real life person:D)
  • katmobilekatmobile Posts: 10,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James has been working pretty steadily - some of it voice work and guest turns, but not on anything that seems to be really big.

Alexis appears to be the same, although he is doing a star turn in Joss's Much Ado.

I've not heard of Joss's "Much Ado" please tell more - if it is the Shakespeare play then it may be a work to which I am destined to return to again - having seen the film, the modern dress adaptation on the tv and the 80s set Tennant/Tate lead production of last year.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    rachelgata wrote: »
    I have to agree with this. He's a brilliantly talented comic actor and while a lot of people would know his face on TV, I bet relatively few could name him.

I remember him from Lee and Herring's show This Morning With Richard Not Judy
  • mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pam Grier - Shes done amazing work with a a varied list of top directors, but, its not really a long list, and considering Jackie Brown was kind've a showcase for her, I was surprised it didn't give her a second wave of bigger popularity.

Lisa Kudrow - Gr8 actress, such a shame that The Comeback didnt do well, it far far outshone the mediocre Friends! Yes, shes kept steady work, but she should be far better known than that drip Aniston.

Saskia Reeves...

Amanda Donahoe...

KATHLEEN TURNER!!!!!!:cry::cry::cry:

Clive Owen should be a megastar, up there with Cruise/Ford etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    Paddy Considine. Truly chilling performance in Dead Man's Shoes and amazing directorial debut in Tyrannosaur. And great in Arctic Monkeys' 'Leave before The Lights Come On' :D

Without a doubt! Dead Mans Shoes is also one of my favourite films!