What would happen to Rising Damp repeats on ITV3?

90s fan90s fan Posts: 204
Forum Member
Seeing as Leonard Rossiter has become the victim of the rape, would Rising Damp repeats on ITV3 stop, I hope not because he is lesser extent to Jimmy Savile.

Comments

• AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    90s fan wrote: »
    Seeing as Leonard Rossiter has become the victim of the rape, would Rising Damp repeats on ITV3 stop, I hope not because he is lesser extent to Jimmy Savile.

One incident that allegedly happened in 1968. That is 44 years ago. Rossiter has been dead since 1984. One person who claims sexual abuse (an 18 year old) does not mean it is true.

Is the alleged victim gay? Remember to be Gay in 1968 was illegal. To participate in homosexual sex was a crime you could go to jail for. I find it strange that because of Savile, people seem to be coming out of all directions to state they were "sexually abused" or "raped". Was the victim a consenting adult? He was 18. Was it Rossiter who "raped" him? No. Apparently it was two BBC staff members while Rossiter watched and laughed. Are these two staff members alive? Is there any way of tracking them down? A strange story that is designed to attack the BBC again while the media await their own bashing via the Leveson report publication.

I agree, Rising Damp should not be stopped on ITV3. It was a fab show. However Reginald Perrin was a bit dull.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think any programmes mentioning Adolf Hitler should be stopped immediately:eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    I think any programmes mentioning Adolf Hitler should be stopped immediately:eek:

It does make you wonder what the hell is going on though doesn't it? Looks like all ITV stars (except Freddie Starr) were raised in a convent and BBC stars came from Hell.

Of course, the fact that this probably went on in ITV as well is totally irrelevant. For instance, if Starr had tendencies to grope young girls, it is unlikely he stopped doing this whilst working with ITV. I think the press should just stop reporting anything that can't be backed up or proved. Of course attacking the dead is easy. My sister went to see Punchlines being recorded with Lennie Bennett. She got groped by a bloke as she went into the audience. It just went on. It goes on.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    One incident that allegedly happened in 1968. That is 44 years ago. Rossiter has been dead since 1984. One person who claims sexual abuse (an 18 year old) does not mean it is true.

Is the alleged victim gay? Remember to be Gay in 1968 was illegal. To participate in homosexual sex was a crime you could go to jail for. I find it strange that because of Savile, people seem to be coming out of all directions to state they were "sexually abused" or "raped". Was the victim a consenting adult? He was 18. Was it Rossiter who "raped" him? No. Apparently it was two BBC staff members while Rossiter watched and laughed. Are these two staff members alive? Is there any way of tracking them down? A strange story that is designed to attack the BBC again while the media await their own bashing via the Leveson report publication.

I agree, Rising Damp should not be stopped on ITV3. It was a fab show. However Reginald Perrin was a bit dull.

There is a report on alleged incidents at an Approved School(?), the elderly lady who was in charge there says she never heard anything but seems to suggest the girls would do anything for cigarettes or money.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is the alleged victim gay? Remember to be Gay in 1968 was illegal.

No it wasn't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackbell wrote: »
    No it wasn't.

Ok, to engage in acts of gay sex was illegal. Picky aren't you!:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    It does make you wonder what the hell is going on though doesn't it? Looks like all ITV stars (except Freddie Starr) were raised in a convent and BBC stars came from Hell.

Of course, the fact that this probably went on in ITV as well is totally irrelevant. For instance, if Starr had tendencies to grope young girls, it is unlikely he stopped doing this whilst working with ITV. I think the press should just stop reporting anything that can't be backed up or proved. Of course attacking the dead is easy. My sister went to see Punchlines being recorded with Lennie Bennett. She got groped by a bloke as she went into the audience. It just went on. It goes on.

I think the main problem with ITV is, the ITV of the 60s and 70s doesn't exist anymore. The BBC has largely stayed the same organisation in the same buildings.
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Homosexuality had already been decriminalised for a year by 1968... except for under 21s, in Scotland and N.Ireland, the armed forces, etc etc.
  • gemsmummygemsmummy Posts: 805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    90s fan wrote: »

Rossiter was'nt part of the so called rape,which has now been reported in another newspaper as an attempted rape, the report says he was present. I really do not know what to make of the whole thing. An awful lot of people are coming out of the woodwork claiming this, that and the other, is it just a case of people jumping on the bandwagon to get their 15 mins of fame, I sincerely hope not, those who have been abused need justice, anyone else who wants to get in on the act, is seriously hindering the investigation. Something else that will undoubtly increase the allegations is the compensation that certain solicitors acting for the 'abused' are going after, that is a recipe for disaster if ever I heard one.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It seems strange this is the only ''groping'' Starr has ever been accused of, as far as we know, while there are about 300 complaints about Savile.Surely if Starr was a persistent offender more people would have come forward. On another thread someone has done some research and said Starr and Glitter never appeared on the same programme together.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You are still wrong.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think ITV regional stations were far smaller staff wise and buildings size than the BBC and any inappropriate behaviour would be found out very quickly. Also as a commercial organisation ITV would have more to lose as they could have had an advertisers boycott if they were found to be employing criminals.
  • 1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think of all the art, literature, poetry, film and tv that would have to be obliterated if we aren't "allowed" to have access to anything that has involved people who have transgressed society's laws.

Come to think of it, there wouldn't be much left.

I strongly object to having my choice of viewing censored. And who are these people who are doing the censoring? Probably not completely blameless themselves.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the case against Rossiter looks flimsy, but if this vile act occured on premises that we pay for, then the BBC should be prosecuted. I for one am becoming very cynical and also very upset that an organisation I've respected for decades seems to have employed some very depraved people.
  • 1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    I think the case against Rossiter looks flimsy, but if this vile act occured on premises that we pay for, then the BBC should be prosecuted. I for one am becoming very cynical and also very upset that an organisation I've respected for decades seems to have employed some very depraved people.

There's no real way of knowing from an application form whether someone's depraved or not, though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Which means the tax payer will be fined. Individuals should be prosecuted not the BBC.
  • Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree - all this is turning into a right old witch hunt.

I don't see how they can posibly prosecute over something that is one person's word against a dead person. There needs to be some evidence.
  • AZZURRI 06AZZURRI 06 Posts: 11,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1fab wrote: »
    Think of all the art, literature, poetry, film and tv that would have to be obliterated if we aren't "allowed" to have access to anything that has involved people who have transgressed society's laws.

Come to think of it, there wouldn't be much left.

I strongly object to having my choice of viewing censored. And who are these people who are doing the censoring? Probably not completely blameless themselves.

I agree, nobody can really point the finger at others. God alone knows what lies in the hearts of men.
  • Killary45Killary45 Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rossiter is accused of watching three men have sex (with one of them non-consensual) during the making of a programme in which he was playing someone who watched people have sex. What are the odds?

This is supposed to have taken place at a rehearsal at TV Centre, although it was not used for rehearsals, for a play that was not filmed at TV centre.

Based on that evidence it is clear that every piece of TV made by Rossiter should be publicly burned on bonfire night.
  • beemohbeemoh Posts: 7,073
    Forum Member
    I think the press should just stop reporting anything that can't be backed up or proved.

If they did that, there would be no press any more. ;)
  • BushmillsBushmills Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well, I love the NHS but it employed Harold Shipman. Plus countless other doctors who were later found guilty of incompetence, negligence, or, yes, sexual abuse of patients.

I'm sure the NHS didn't have a policy of hiring such depraved people. I'm also sure that the overall aim of the organisation is to do good, rather than harm. Trouble is, when you employ tens of thousands, some bad people are going to get through the net.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think its quite disguisting to go after stars who have passed away. Very disrespectful. Do people have nothing better to do than make slanderous allegations when they cant defend themselves.
  • AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    CABLEDUDE wrote: »
    I think the main problem with ITV is, the ITV of the 60s and 70s doesn't exist anymore. The BBC has largely stayed the same organisation in the same buildings.

I fail to see what difference this makes.

Staff members who worked at TVS, ABC, Westcountry etc are still alive and can still talk.
    Forum Member
    I think ITV regional stations were far smaller staff wise and buildings size than the BBC and any inappropriate behaviour would be found out very quickly. Also as a commercial organisation ITV would have more to lose as they could have had an advertisers boycott if they were found to be employing criminals.

I think they actually had more TV studios and TV staff than the BBC, at their peak, in the 70s and 80s (which is when most of these accusations now coming forward come from). Even some small regional companies had two, maybe three studio buildings dotted across their region - a couple even outside their own region!

The BBC had three major production centres in London + Ally Pally. They also had smaller production centres in Brum, Manchester, Glasgow, Belfast and Cardiff. They then had the tiny regional studios in Plymouth, Norwich, Newcastle etc.

Companies like HTV, TVS and Tyne Tees produced more from Cardiff/Bristol, Southampton and Newcastle than the BBC in those cities ever did for TV. Even Granada and ATV produced far more than BBC Manchester or Brum. Same with Yorkshire vs BBC Leeds and Anglia vs BBC Norwich. I can even recall a few programmes from Westward and TSW, but nowt from BBC Plymouth. Combined, Thames + LWT probably made a little more than the BBC did in London.
    Forum Member
    I think its quite disguisting to go after stars who have passed away. Very disrespectful. Do people have nothing better to do than make slanderous allegations when they cant defend themselves.

To be honest, I think the number of persistent rumours when Savile was alive and the clarity, detail, number and lack of changes to allegations from individuals are enough for the majority of people who don't jump on bandwagons and don't usually believe rumours, like myself, to state in no uncertain terms that all this is true.

Untrue rumours last 5 minutes, not spanning a 40-year career of a major TV star.