TP Link to Virgin super hub problems

HI,

Am new here, so this is my problem; i have just purchased a TP Link AV500 nano power line adapter, and, after some sorting out, have got this side of the opperation working fine!!!.

The problem is at the Hub end of things, i can not get a green light, only, an amber light, i have wi fi to two seperate laptops and with the main computer, all are fine.

After a very short chat with the tech person at virgin who told me they do not support TP Link, i am hopeing that some one can help me understand and sort out this problem.

To re-cap, all systems as per the hub and laptops work fine, the only item pluged into the hub that won`t work and shows this amber light is the either connected line to the TP Link...........

Regards and thank you for any and all help in this matter.....................

mckinnell......

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does whatever is plugged into the remote end of the TP Link kit get an internet connection? If so then probably nothing much to worry about.

And is this an LED on the socket itself or on the front of the hub?

The colour may indicate what speed the port is communicating with the device plugged into it at. So all that may be "wrong" is that the TP Link adapter and the hub have decided to talk to each other at 10Mb/s instead of 100Mb/s or something like that.

If that is the case then plug a computer into the remote TP Link adapter and do a speed test. If you can't get more than 10Mb/s and you know your internet is a lot faster then that may be what is happening. That could be a settings problem with the TP Link or even the Hub.

Have you done the obvious and plugged the TP Link into another port on the Hub to see if they are all the same or just the one?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    chrisjr,

Hi, first off, thanks for prompt reply, now the answers; the amber light is at the rear of the virgin hub, two types can show, either the one i mentioned or, a green, both LEDs.

The TP Link gives a respones at 11MB/s, i`ll plug one of my laptops into the other end, the set up is that, main colputer and huib in small bedroom, set top freesat box is in the living room, hope that info is help full.......

Regards............. mckinnell
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So are you saying that there is an internet connection over the TP Link adapters? If so then the orange LED on the hub probably only indicates the speed of the connection between the hub and TP Link adapter.

Presumably the Ethernet indicator on the TP Link adapter is lit?

On the hub there may well be two LEDs one usually indicates a link is established to the connected device and maybe also at what speed. The other usually blinks to indicate activity on the link. The etherrnet indicator on the TP Link adapter should also blink to indicate activity.

The TP Link adapter ethernet port is 10/100Mb/s. If the hub ports are also 10/100Mb/s then orange could indicate a 10Mb/s connection. If the hub ports are 1Gb/100Mb then orange may indicate 100Mb/s which is as fast as the TP Link can go. If that is the case then there is no problem.

If however the orange LED indicates 10Mb/s then that may be a config issue with the hub. I can't see anything in the online manual for the TP Link kit to show that it is possible to set the ethernet port speed. Hence why you should try the TP Link in every port of the hub to see what happens.
    Forum Member
    Hi Mate,

Have got the lead from the Powerlink in the living room now connected to the laptop i am sending this to you, meaning this side of the issue is working fine, and, the hub light corresponding to the line comeing out for this is still showing up amber!!, so, all work very good except for when you connect the lead to the Bush Freesat box, but at least i know that it does work re:- my laptop located in my living room this type of setup. :)

Regards...............mckinnell.................
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you are testing the TP Link with the laptop make sure you turn WiFi off on the laptop to force it to use the ethernet! Otherwise you could be misled into thinking all is working when it isn't.
    Forum Member
    Hi Mate,

Yes my friend, have disabled the wifi link to said laptop, and, it shows that the link is, that from my TP Link:), :) so from this side of things, all is fine, just not when pluged into the either socket on the reverse of my Bush freesat box, does also seem that the amber light matters little as such, or so it seems in this case as im getting some form of signal...........

Regards............mckinnell.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Always worth checking. :)

Are you sure the ethernet socket on the back of the Bush actually does anything? The only Bush I could find so far with ethernet is this...

http://www.bushdigital.co.uk/Products/BFSAT01HD_Specifications.htm

Which says that the ethernet port is for a future enhancement. Which to me suggests it does bu***er all at the moment. So perhaps you've wasted your time, effort and cold hard cash installing the TP Link kit? Unless there is something else you need an internet connection for?
    Forum Member
    chrisjr,

Have just gone to that site you looked at, and, all i can say is, :eek::mad::mad::mad::mad::cry:........

Also, "she who must be obeyed", will NOT!!, be very impressed with this, but, the Argos site showes it as usable, mmmmmmmm..........

Regards and thanks, mckinnell

BTW..Heres the spec on the model we purchsed from Argos:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5323122.htm#pdpFullProductInformation
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bearing in mind Bush is simply a badge stuck on random bits of kit by Argos you would expect them to know what their kit does.

Then again it is Argos....

Actually the Argos link is to a different product to the one I found. So perhaps this does have a working ethernet connection? Especially as it mentions iPlayer.

If that is the case then you probably need to configure it.
    Forum Member
    Thanks mate,

I will have a look in the on screen menu for the said Bush laptop and see what if anything, i can gleen to config`ing the box, here`s hoping, let you know what happens later on if thats OK, again many thanks mate for the helpful support...........

My best regards to you and yours.

mckinnell...........:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chances are that somewhere in the menu system is a section for setting various system parameters. That is often where the Network settings lurk. If there is such a section then choose the DHCP option, if offered, as that is by far the easiest way to set the network up and operate the beast .